Trump: F-35 program need to be shut down

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Dec 12, 2016.

1. PracticalMac, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Trump tweeted Monday morning that "the F-35 program and cost is out of control. Billions of dollars can and will be saved on military (and other) purchases after January 20th."

According to the fiscal 2017 Department of Defense budget released earlier this year, the Pentagon planned to spend $10.1 billion for F-35s -- 43 F-35As for the Air Force, 16 F-35Bs for the Marine Corps and 4 F-35Cs for the Navy.
    (that is $234,800 each aircraft, more than each state of art Boeing 787 Dreamliner)

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/12/investing/donald-trump-lockheed-martin-f-35-tweet/

Something I agree with Mr. Trump.

While the avionics and combat com's are far advanced, the aircraft itself if very limited.

Considering the threat is mainly from ground units, ISIS and terrorists, the value of a stealthy low payload multi-role aircraft is minimal.
    And we have the F-22 to counter the less stealthy foreign aircraft.

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Never understood why the Army isn't allowed to have fixed wing aircraft like the Super Tucano to provide CAS to and how the actual customers want it.

3. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I don't see why they want to keep shutting down the A-10's.

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Because it was not designed and built in Murica!
    (ignore the fact the USA actually does buy and use foreign aircraft. SSHhhhhhhh)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 12, 2016 ---
    They want F-35's
    No, really, it is simple as that.

(BTW, LOVE the Riding Bean anime :D)

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The Air Force wants what the Air Force wants. So basically yeah.

6. kobalap macrumors 6502

Hallelujah

7. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Looks like the UK Government backed the wrong horse bigly time :D

Now, where did we store those Harriers....

8. juanm, Dec 12, 2016

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

While I wholeheartedly agree on the fact that a 1-trillion program like the F-35 is unnecessary, a few thoughts:

- What kind of message does this send to companies (US and International) who were seeking US government contracts? Would you get in decades-long deals with someone who decides on a whim to back off of agreed deals?

- You DO NOT tweet away like this. The $4bn that Lockheed stock lost are going to cost many jobs.

- Russia. Yes, again. I've always said that they benefit from a weak US. Trump, with his antics, has the potential to destabilise the current (if fragile) equilibrium of powers.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Juanito, no se puede chiflar y comer pinole a la misma vez, 20 trillones de deuda nos hace mas vulnerables que renegarnos en ciertos contratos.

hard to whistle & chew gum at the same time, 20 trillion in debt makes us weaker than not honoring some contracts IMHO. the message that some CO's should get is that there is a better negotiator on board you won't be able to fleece the tax payers as you see fit like you have when the other spineless politicians were on board.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Look toward the history of the Air Force and how it came out of the Army Air Corps.

But, you're right. The Army needs its own close air support aircraft.

One of the great ironies of the war on terror is that vintage aircraft like the OV-10 Bronco and the A-10 seem to work better for counterinsurgency than the multi-million dollar fighters the Air Force has bought, and the Army's own attack helicopter fleet.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What is it with trump and airplanes? Maybe he's more of a tank man.

But one thing we do know is that he's pledged to rebuild the military.

So any savings from the F-35 is just going to be spent on some other program.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That SOB is trying to weaken our military!!!!!!!!! I knew he was a Democrat!

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

HOPE it goes to the vets & some pay raises.

14. kobalap macrumors 6502

Sadly, many of my fellow conservatives are so enamored with Trump that they do not see what is so plain right in front of their face.
    If that is what the people wanted, they should have voted for Hillary.

15. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

So he's not building that wall after all, if he's cutting on superfluous spending?

This is how the world outside the US sees Trump, and with every tweet (!) he reinforces that image :

[​IMG]

16. kobalap macrumors 6502

The Brits have several superior options that are made in Europe.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

But are you talking about this program in particular, or defense spending in general? Trump has pledge to rebuild the military, and has appointed a number of generals as advisors, so it looks to me as if the interests of the defense department and contractors will be a priority.

18. kobalap macrumors 6502

I am talking about Trump in general.

Interference with the operations of a company to protect labor? Only a liberal nutjob would come with such non-sense.

19. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

To be fair the F-35 is a lot faster than the A-10.

20. kobalap macrumors 6502

And, it can fire its gun for exactly .8 seconds before it is out of bullets. How's that for fast?

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Could you give me more details about this?
    They need bigger clips.

22. VulchR, Dec 12, 2016

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think that there has been profiteering on a lot of military contracts - for an eye-watering sum of money we have (1) the mediocre F-35 that can't be used like they were intended in high numbers because the price has doubled (and was never built for air support of combat troops anyway), aircraft carriers with faulty catapults that cannot launch planes, littoral combat ships that break down, a remote mine-hunting system which can't find mines (that baby was $700 million), etc.

So what do we do now? Kill the contracts, bankrupt the companies, and make the workers unemployed? How about for once we put people in charge (the managerial class) in jail for fraud – or being a traitor, whichever is easiest. And by jail I mean hard time and long sentences.
    The point of the A-10 was that it was built to support ground troops, which means long loitering time and slow speeds to engage targets, not jetting around in some air force general's wet dream at supersonic speeds.

23. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

You don't necessarily want fast for close air support.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it has been less profiteering than that there are no consequences to lieing about how cheap you can do a project for when you bid on it to get the contract and then having cost overruns to get the whole price. I'm not sure what the best solution to that is as it isn't really practical for the government to design this kind of program in house. But twitter definitely isn't it.