Trump family conflict of interest? Explain this one

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Nov 13, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump supposedly put his companies in a blind trust and put his kids in charge. He then appointed them as part of his transition team. Doesn't that create a conflict of interest?

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

He will follow the law and if he doesn't then CNN and other media will expose it.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Transition team no, actual government jobs it depends where are they appointed to.

4. kobalap macrumors 6502

60 million Americans don't care. Actually, if you count the ones who stayed home instead of coming out to vote, then well over 100 million don't care.

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Sorry, that's not an explanation

6. samcraig, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

And who reports to them

7. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Is it illegal?

He doesn't even have to setup a blind trust. Unless you can point to a specific law that says presidents must liquidate holdings and set up blind trusts, he can do pretty much whatever the law allows. The blind trust is to reduce the likelihood of ethics violations and illegal dealings.

Just because past presidents or federal officials have done it... doesn't make it law. You are probably still wanting to punish him for not handing over his tax returns.

8. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

No for the reasons yaxomoxay said above. The transition team is simply doing preparation work for the new administration. The members of the transition team are not government positions, they are merely administrative. Most of them are campaign staffers I believe.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Or I was just asking a question. Way to leap to a conclusion

10. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Sorry, you tell us. You started the thread.

Is it illegal or not?

Is it unethical or not?

Is he the first president to have this issue arise or not?

11. kobalap macrumors 6502

But I guess the question is, what is there to explain?

Trump doesn't even do things when people care about them (release his tax returns). What makes you think he spending any time thinking about something probably over 100 million Americans don't care about?

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Personally and parties aside, I'm not a fan of any president who argues against special interest groups and wants to drain the swamp but has vested interest as hot relates to his own businesses. That's why my question and concern. It should be everyone's. Wasn't that a major theme of the election?

13. kobalap macrumors 6502

That Hillary is a crook and that blue collar workers want their 80s style manufacturing jobs back.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

If I asked the question, what makes you think I have the answers? Did my question make you feel threatened in some way for raising it?

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

He was just being thorough in his reply. I value his direct style. No hidden agenda or passive aggressiveness.

16. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Let's see where it goes. It's easy to criticize before anything happens. Stick around and if Trump screws up, you'll see a bunch of us agree. He does need to have (inside) knowledge of how things work though and appointing stupid members who are anti-establishment, anti-everything to his cabinet will backfire on him and his campaign.

Note: I'm not saying you're criticizing.

17. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

"Threatened." Good lord. What a childish post.

There's a whole wide world outside the PRSI, samcraig. Try to enjoy it periodically.

18. kobalap macrumors 6502

"Yes Mr. President, we tried to implement your populist agenda. But we had to negotiate. The compromise was was this ultra right wing agenda."

That's what you get for staying home, democrats.

19. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Some of you take this politics game way to serious.

Hasn't this election taught you by now that politics is nothing but a joke?

20. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

That's a different issue than the transition team personnel, and justifiably so. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you might be more concerned about presidential appointments, executive power, and how he will maintain a focus on US interests when his businesses are deeply involved in many countries all over the world. It's a good question, and I think it's going to be interesting because this is uncharted territory. We've never had a president with such business interests before. Other presidents have used blind trusts (going back to Eisenhower), but this is different because it's so vast.

The only real close analogy is Michael Bloomberg, former mayor of NYC, who maintained control of his company and continued to make business decisions while he was mayor. I don't think Trump will be able to do that.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Good lord, the hypocrisy.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2016 ---
    Well said - all of its, actually. I wasn't a fan of the Bush family having vested interest in the energy industry. That had nothing to do with party politics.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It will be almost impossible to avoid those illegal situations of receiving "gift", i.e. undue benefit, without prior Congressional approval when the biz empire has so many international establishments.

If you run CountryXYZ, would you not overlook a few of your own bureaucratic regs and annoying building codes to get the Trumpies to build a new hotel in your capital? Imagine the prospects for your local economy! They build it, your locals staff it, tourism rates soar.... and imagine how pleased Donny would be that his kids' business ventures are doing so well (ahem, that is, if he realized these new ventures were occurring). And he might even intercede with the IMF for you on those onerous loan repayments (ahem, well, not for any particular reason, just it might free up some money for... trade or whatever).

Blind trust w/ his kids in charge of the businesses? Not even a plausible firewall. "Oh I forgot we shouldn't really talk about that, forget I said it." Sure, Ivanka, no problem.

It would be like the alleged Clinton Foundation issues on steroids, except worse because a bunch of for-profit businesses; and at least the Clintons had a plan to shut down the CGI and spin off the CHAI, etc. What a joke now to remember how the right thought none of that was sufficient. Trump and kids: don't worry no problem, we're Republicans.

Well I'm not one to chant lock them up but I'm surprised Trump's own counsel or the RNC's has not sat down with Ivanka, Kushner, Trump (and Ryan, and McConnell) and said see here, this won't do.