Trump fan goes on rant on board Delta flight

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Nov 28, 2016.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

There are dicks in every party... this guy is a classic douche. They should have booted his butt off the plane.

3. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

He does seem like a crazy idiot (per the background given in the article; don't have sound at work to listen to the audio). Oh well, I guess this rolls into freedom of speech.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, yes. "We got some Hillary bitches on here?" - a sentence taken from that individuals's tasteless, sexist and offensive monologue - addressed to fellow (female) passengers whom he could not possibly have known personally (not that personal acquaintanceship would serve to excuse such crassness) - undoubtedly - fall under the sanctity and protection of the First Amendment.

Bravo.

Stay classy.

But, riddle me this: Why the anger when he - and his side - won?

5. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Boot his ass of the plane and have him under TSA questioning. Guarantee next time he'll know better.

6. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Cause people like that are not truly satisfied until every single living person is cheering for the same thing that they are. Doesn't matter is win or lose. It's the "if you're not with us, you're against us" mentality.

A huge portion of Progessives, are the same way.

If it was Trump and Bernie, this election would have been chaos between both supporters.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yesterday I made the mistake of watching 20 minutes of hell's kitchen, with and by yours Gordon Ramsey.
    The number of times that the ladies called "bitch(es)" other ladies was astounding. They even called themselves "bitch". "Look at this bitch, yeah I am the bitch that will win Hell's Kitchen."
    If you go outside, at least in the US, you will hear other "regular" women using "bitch" at every possible opportunity. In a few occasion they even call their own daughters like that.
    So, the individual's comments were tasteless and he should've been kicked out of the plane, possibly slapped for his idiocy. However, given how women themselves use "bitch" often (at least in the US) in almost any context, the word can't be defined as sexist and/or offensive.
    Wasn't there a song, "I am a bitch"?

8. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Applying one set of rules consistently to everyone is passe these day.

9. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I went back to see if there was any unusual change of hate crimes from minorities towards whites when Obama won in 2008/2012 and could not see any changes. Yet, it barely took few days since Cheetos won for it to spike...

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

No.

Whether or not women use the word to describe themselves is completely different to this foaming at the mouth Trump triumphalist standing up and using it as a slur.

I'm a gay man. Trust me on this, there is a world of difference to me being called fag by a friend, than it being shouted at me across the street by a couple of white boys in a pickup truck.

This is a very simple concept. You're just being disingenuous trying very hard to not see that there is a substantial difference in intent.

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

While I will agree that there has been a spike, some reports have been shown to be false or faked.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

And who are you to decide that is a slur?
    I understand some context, and we're not talking about some girl saying to her friend "bitch". We all understand that in private conversations we say all sort of crap and sometimes we use some strong words.
    How (many, not all) women use bitch is not the equivalent of your friend calling you fag while talking to you; not in this context. It's more like if your friend told to other people: "hey see this fag? he'll win hell's kitchen", or while in line he says out loud : "hey fag, you still owe me $10."
    "Bitch" is not used as a friendly derogatory term aimed at creating some discomfort for fun in private. It is used as an aggressive term, in public.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I'm female, and could be described as a 'femme d'un age certain'.

Now, as it happens, I personally, don't watch Gordon Ramsey - but I do know that he has made a career out of being a foul-mouthed chef who attracts high ratings - and - for what it is worth - he is not what I would consider using as a cultural barometer or excuse, or example, ever.

I will say, however, that I have never - in my life - neither professional (a world not confined to the Groves of Academe, by the way), nor personal, heard a woman address another woman as a 'bitch'. Never. That is, not ever. Nada. Not once.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 28, 2016 ---
    Excellent post.

And I agree that @yaxomoxay is attempting to be disingenuous, and some on these threads give me the impression of desiring to normalise the use of the word 'bitch' to describe a woman.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Ramsey ain't cultural barometer, but people proudly calling themselves "bitch" live on TV could be.
    You should come to the US and spend a few months. It's used so often that it's almost alarming. Pretty soon that word will be as common as "dude".
    Attempting to normalize? Me? It pisses me off, that's what it does.
    I am pointing out that it's normalized already, and it PISSES ME OFF.

15. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

I agree, language is not written in stone. Also if you sound obvious saying something, then you shouldn't say it.

Being that said, and as much of an idiot as he was. I don't think he directed the word Bitches towards the females. If the plane was full of men only, he would have still used that word. His problem is that he lacks common sense to know when and where to speak in natural slang.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Some will claim that he's hired by the Hillary team or is a Hillary supporter trying to make the left look crazy

17. Scepticalscribe, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And that - I suspect - is the purpose of using it in such contexts, to seek to normalise and desensitise your audience or viewers.

For now, I have no interest - or reason - to want to visit the US. I have to say I find the country - and its - shall we say - wider and ascendant political culture - utterly repellant at the moment.

Re the word 'bitch', in the Harry Potter series, it was used once - to great effect, when Molly Weasley duelled (and killed) Bellatrix L'Estrange; in that context, it was a powerful insult when used by one woman to another, one not used lightly, but as an expression of the utmost contempt in which the person using it held the other.
    It should have been called out - and challenged - more energetically, and frequently, then, not least on these very threads and fora.

To my mind, it is a shame that the mods did not choose to do so.

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Mods: Please delete this post. Hit the wrong comments button.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

And again, I do not deny the need for context. What I am saying is that at least in the US 'bitch' is a common term. You hear it at work, at school, at the movie theater, at Walmart is almost a melodic chorus. Women call their friends 'bitch' in public, and loudly. Women call themselves 'bitch'. And sometimes men call other men 'bitch(es)'.
    I just want women to call out other women on that, because as of today it's just as saying 'dude' (or close, at least).

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The way it should have been handled, especially before takeoff (not sure about that), the flight attendant should have instructed the man to kept his political comments to himself and cease with the profanity. If he refused to comply, the Captain should of had him removed for disrupting the conduct of the flight. After takeoff it's more difficult, but short of diverting, which would not happen for verbal abuse, it's easy to have authorities meet the plane and possibly arrest the offender for disrupting the cabin.

21. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

With Trump, FCC might as well remove the 7 forbidden words.

22. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

@Scepticalscribe - I don't understand why anyone who claims to be a political analyst is having a problem understanding human nature, albeit aberrant, in light of the political climate.

"Omg his side won, but why is he so rude? Hmmmm. Dang I'm really stumped on this."

Maybe this might help you over the hurdle.

Why do you think there was there a riotous clash between England fans and riot police in Lille during the Euro 2016?

I mean it's only a football game.

23. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

At the very least he should have been removed. There is a very good chance it would have ended in his arrest given his attitude.

24. unlinked macrumors 6502a

There is a difference but it is defined by the intent of the speaker not the colour of their skin or their mode of transportation.

25. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

LOL sometimes the mode of transportation makes a difference. A guy driving a Prius calling you a slur has a different tone to it than same guy in a Ford F150.