Trump friend says president considering firing Mueller

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Jun 12, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The dolt in chief really is a moron if he thinks this would be a good idea.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/337509-trump-considering-firing-special-counsel-mueller

2. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Well, that'd learn Mueller not to tithe at cabinet meetings.

For what it's worth, I'm for whatever is the most expedient method to get him out while limiting collateral damage. If this would do it, great! That said, I doubt he'll do it. Seems like political suicide. Then again, everything he's done seems like that, so what the hell do I know.

3. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Trump is either suffering from mental illness or he's desperately trying to cover up something. At this point, I would give both the same odds.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

I would consider both true

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

My favorite part of that was the absolutely hilarious idea that they think we'd believe they would be comfortable with anyone in charge of a special counsel. Unless they thought they could get a rubber stamp of approval, there isn't a soul alive in Washington that they won't find an issue with. If they could raise & animate the body of former President Reagan, the patron saint of the Republican party & he expressed any doubts they'd have issue with him. Claiming he's shown a bias with the Russians before and he may have had issues with 45 in the past.

6. Zenithal Suspended

Worked great for the last POTUS that did this. Go on, Donny, do it. You've already pissed off the US intelligence apparatus. We really ought to goad POTUS through twatter into firing Mueller. The fallout is going to be beautiful. Just beautiful. It'll be the most beautiful thing yet this year. Well, except for the poacher who got killed by an animal he tried to kill. :)

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Just when you think Trump has hit the floor and couldn't go any lower, he breaks right through it proving he can take it even lower.

8. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The top democrat on the Intel Committee has warned Trump against firing Mueller. They'll just rehire him to run the investigation from their side.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...ont-waste-our-time-considering-firing-mueller

9. Zenithal Suspended

How does that work? Has that ever been done before? I'm only familiar with Nixon's case.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Well trump is the unique president.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

That's not what was being asked . CAN Trump fire muller?

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Technically, he could. Mueller was appointed by the deputy AG, which technically would fall under the DoJ, so that would be under the Executive Branch. However, should he do so, that would bring about some serious ramifications, including further calls for impeachment due to obstruction of justice.

We know Trump won't leave well enough alone, so let's sit back with the popcorn and nachos (and your grandmother better have a recipe for some damn good salsa! :D ) and see what happens.

BL.

13. jerwin macrumors 65816

Half the right wing believes that there's nothing for Mueller to investigate, so Trump is saving the government some cash. "It's time to move on".

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah, I'm not sure anything could get the die hard supporters to abandon him. Trump was right that he could shoot someone and he wouldn't lose their support. If he does this though he will be testing if there are enough die hard supporters to prevent impeachment.

15. Rigby macrumors 601

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The monumental reason will have to be very creative. Even if it's not, it could be as simple as it's my option, tough ****. At this point the ball would be in the Congress's court. Reports today speculated that Congress would reinstate Mueller as Special Council, but who knows.

This guy (Trump) is a one man wrecking crew on so many levels. :(

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well I do question what I know, since I never thought this country would elect him.

So having learned something, I still know almost nothing. But I read the Chicago Tribune and maybe so did The Don. Mueller's staffing up, not taking depositions and yawning.

I do know this: when a president bucks the judicial system, it escalates to protect us.

He elected not to fire Comey at the very beginning. It sounds like he tried to influence an investigation.

Then he did fire Comey, which was a dicey move, all things considered --including his own tweets and public remarks.

The system said ok how about a special counsel? -- since the AG has recused himself from the ongoing investigation Comey was doing because the AG had undisclosed Russia contacts when appointed.

Mind you I understand that Russia's meddling can be along the lines of muddying waters and casting shade on people who are clueless about what some encounter means in the matrix of such meetings overall. I'm sure it's a blast in some quarters in Russia that our Attorney General is partly disabled because he had a couple possibly inconsequential contacts he failed to disclose and may in fact have just forgotten about or thought were "nothing, really". otoh is that what those contacts were?

Now Trump wants to fire the special counsel? After the special counsel telegraphs that specialized criminal expertise is being tacked onto the investigative team?

If he fires Mueller, which he can do, that will almost surely fetch him an independent commission, which is what the Democrats wanted to begin with but the GOP at that time said "does not rise to the occasion."

Once he gets a commission on his case, then first of all the investigation is definitely about him and why he was so hot to get rid of the previous investigative mechanisms.

And then he's pretty much done governing anything but the flow of subpoenas and data: aides resign, the legislative agenda's out the window and the election is right around the corner with nothing in the papers but headlines made to sell more papers.

Is that what he wants? Mission accomplished. Apple cart upturned. No one's in charge and no one is wililng to call the emperor naked? Talk about weakening a sovereign nation. Trump plays golf at Mar-a-Lago and tweets at will while the GOP wonders how to get that tax cut. Morons. Pence would sign the bills, whatever's in them. The GOP's real problem is their own far right wing. That's true no matter who's in the White House; we already knew that during Obama's terms in office.

Please tell me how much more of the government Trump could be staffing up now. Trump's obsessed by personal loyalty. He had trouble finding enough recruits, even setting aside actual competence. Ideological loyalty, a big thing in the Bush 43 admin, isn't even enough for The Don.

This is just a big mess. I blame the Republican leadership, not Trump. I don't think Trump is even accountable sometimes. He seems distracted, maddened by something we can't see. So this is on the GOP. They choked and let him onto the ballot when didn't deploy their party machinery as they might have done to fetch a more conventional candidate. It was their perfect (if elitist) right to do so. They were afraid to lose the House. Now they've really put the House at risk over the health care debacle. The beat goes on and yet they let this albatross hover over the ship of state

Maybe I shouldn't care since I'm not a Republican and I certainly have no sway over the likes of Ryan and McConnell. But that ship of state belongs to all of us. I say let Trump fire Mueller and let an independent commission hire him and whatever team he has assembled. This that we're living through is a crock.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Here is the question, if he doubles down trying to disrupt investigations, will the Congress find it's resolve? I view it as an open question. What strikes me is that he is fighting his own Justice Dept getting rid of people not on board with his program and that damn Russian investigation. I can only hope Congress is up to the task to counter him, or we are in deep **** as a country, deeper **** than we already are.

Did you see the Cabinet Members today, kissing ass? My gosh, that was disgusting. :(

21. Zwopple macrumors regular

If he fires Mueller it's going to be a bloodbath at 2018 elections. Nothing reeks of corruption like firing Mueller at this point.

And the GOP response of "There's nothing to investigate" is total bs, it's not necessarily just about Trump it's about who in his inner circle and administration played footsie with the Russians and if any crimes were committed.

22. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Mueller, Mueller! Yeah. Trump, fire him. Accelerate things. Give the Dems the impeachment we think we want and the (traditional) Republicans the impeachment they pretend they don't. "Lefties" will be glad the chaos is gone and "Righties" will be glad to gut healthcare and stuff mattresses with tax cuts that will trickle down.

Having to choose between the current chaos and the "straight arrow" Republicanism (give or take) of a Pence administration is a no-win, from where I sit (slightly left of center). Nevertheless, Pence, Ryan and McConnell are "the devil we know" and I'd rather have the branches of government fight over legislation and governance than have them sniveling in the corners, hiding from the nutter-in-chief. While, in my opinion, their policies are not good for the country they are not catastrophic. On the other hand, Trump's doodling harsh but seemingly token memos may be "safer" from an agenda with which I disagree, but the kind of potential damage is... untraditionally concerning, to put it mildly.

I'm not a big fan of NATO, as an example, but I'm aghast and concerned how he "handled" that. His unstable tweeting is at best an innocuous if embarrassing sideshow -- until Qatar, London's mayor, etc. The world is not his plaything. The breadth and depth of his corruptibility is pretty astonishing when one considers the reach of his pyrite-plated empire and his marketing-driven mind. His tenuous grasp on anything approaching truth is pretty astonishing, just on a basic level of our shared universe -- I'm not even talking policy.

To quote, The Big Lebowski, "[he's] out of his element." Today's awkward praise-a-thon is harmless... but creepy. And taken with how he was treated in Saudi Arabia (just before leaving the Middle East for Israel -- don't get me started), how he's browbeaten our allies (at least Merkel didn't need to Purell her right hand after her first meeting with Trump), and how he's lowered the bar for not just discourse but basic communication, I don't know how he can be defended by a rational human being who isn't simply too wedded to what they hoped for to see the lout they're in bed with. So, I guess I do blame him.

But, yeah, I also blame the Republicans. They didn't get their politico-flu shot and let this virus get out of control. Yeah, it started years ago when they absorbed the Tea Party. It cracked them in half (and one could argue that Sanders and Warren risk doing the same, though hopefully in a more focused and less necessarily divisive way). It made the Republican body so weak and susceptible that Trumpitis took a deep and dangerous hold. Now we have this. And they can't be happy behind closed doors.

"Be careful what you wish for." They have the White House and both houses of Congress and are getting nothing done. Sure, the token steps they've taken freak me out but they keep tripping over him. Legislatively, that's good. I should want him in for the full-term. But the chaos... it's unhealthy for the country. Those on the right, seems to me, should want him out not me. He is their obstructionist-in-chief. Democrats don't even have to block anything. But we're so back-assward, spun around and dizzy with our partisanship that everybody wants what's the opposite of what they probably want.

It's telling that Congress was largely respectful of Comey and that their defenses of Trump are limited, seemingly sincere (though Ryan seemed to be choking back the puke in his mouth), but patently absurd as they try to seem like they're defending him but not really defending him. I don't envy the position they put themselves in, nor do I pity them. Party before country should have a price -- on both sides.

What's also telling is that Fox News seems split in half, partly towing the weird defense line that Congress is and partly yielding to the fringe. Fringes have more in common with their opposites than anything else. I'd much rather be around a moderate conservative than a fringe liberal. The bits of each extreme I dip my toe into freak me out. The far right, though, is lobbing the weirdest defenses. I'm pretty certain that what's keeping Republicans in DC so quiet is that they really have to wait and see which half of their party takes hold through this insanity. And it is insanity. And it's sad; that's where Eric, Ivanka and I all agree -- but their father set the tone and he's done nothing but "double down" and "punch down" so I have no sympathy for their situation or their own cognitive dissonance -- I have my own to keep in check.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

That's why I think the leadership will ask him not to fire Mueller. And maybe suggest that it would be the last straw for them before they find the political will to call some of his mind-bending "interpretations" of our laws impeachable. After all Pence can sign a tax cut bill.

It's about finding out why Trump is so incurious about any of it too. If a foreign nation has tried to meddle with a campaign, or tried or even succeeded in putting a few moles in our executive branch, entitled to read some or all of our intel, help make policy decisions... wouldn't we want to know that? Would HE not want to know that? He's already shown how easily he's baited and played. It makes me wonder if he'd even notice he was being steered when he was being steered.

24. IronWaffle, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

A normal person would be curious. Someone near the spectrum of normal would. Let's face it, "incurious" is practically his middle name. To steal from the media's obsession (including Fox) that he's "transactional" -- what can he benefit from understanding their meddling? From his perspective, I mean; taking into account what we've observed of how he relates to the world -- from his hermetically sealed apartment, his private jet, the resorts he visits (seemingly just ones he owns). He lives in the very definition of a bubble. If he had dealings with Russia, he probably sees it as a done deal. If he had none (or if it was all very hands' off, slight nod of the head to his "satellites", plausible deniability) then he doesn't care.

Photo-ops. Big signings. Tax cuts. Mean tweets, dumb speeches, policies he doesn't realize invert the promises he made to his constituents (not me, thankfully). #fakenews, taunting, trolling. That's his world now. Why not fire an investigator just like he's fired -- or simply didn't pay -- his contractors. Every rotten thing he's done has paid off so, I suppose, he doesn't need to know anything new. From his perspective. Too bad he doesn't know anything about Washington. Neither does his lawyer, it seems. Not sure his tactics will work quite so well in this environment.

So much energy squandered. And that's the least of it.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

There's a whole lotta vote counting going on. Nobody's indispensable.

Personally I think he's going to decompensate, just lose it. GOP's call what do to about it.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2017 ---
    I dunno, there are a few sane minds around Trump's WH but he still goes off the rails pretty often.

McConnell and Ryan are sane. They need to get some legislation passed. This stuff is a huge distraction but it's not the only liability about Trump. He's impossible, incorrigible. He's 70 years old and he's not even set in his ways, he's set in his instability.

Now if it's true Trump wants to fire Mueller, that's another potential "obstruction of justice" can of worms. It's the appearance of impropriety. You can find something wrong with any special counsel the way you can find fault with any political candidate. Firing a special counsel is a terrible move, politically speaking.

If he does that, fires Mueller, I have a feeling the GOP will wash their hands of Trump and impeach him.

The GOP have to get this chaos behind them to preserve their legislative options for 2018 and hope to capitalize on what had been expected to be a great shot at widening their Senate majority. This is all really important to them. What does Trump do for them now? Every time he opens his mouth he leaves a disaster behind him. He's not helpful on health care. He wants the tax cut. He wants the budget done. Big yup, so do they. So does Mike Pence, with less downside than Trump.