Trump gained millions from questionable tax strategies: New York Times

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Oct 2, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

No wonder he didn't want to release his tax returns. But, the IRS let them get away with it, so I guess there's no harm.

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...om-questionable-tax-strategies-new-york-times

2. appleisking macrumors 6502a

How will the Trump apologists defend this one I wonder?

3. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Well, did you know that Obama Hussein smuggled money to Iran? What do you have to say about that?

4. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The claims of his supporters that Trump was some sort of super successful businessman was always a complete fiction, obviously false to anyone with an ounce of common sense. Now we have clear evidence that his current financial position is almost exclusively due to money he got from his father and fraud. I stand by my argument that, in the long run, the worst thing that ever happened to Donald Trump was winning the 2016 election. Had he lost, he could have just gone back to his day-to-day fraudulent and questionable business activities and probably would have been left alone by legal authorities. Now, thanks to winning and the attention it has brought, he probably ends up spending a significant portion of his life after the White House in prison (assuming he doesn't work out some sort of pardon deal with Pence).

5. appleisking macrumors 6502a

I’m going to assume this is facetious. You really can’t tell anymore lol

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

File this under “yet another open secret blown open AFTER the 2016 election.”

Where the **** were all these journalists after the primary?

7. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

He loves the military, as long as it’s not his tax dollars that fund it.

8. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

9. Mr.Scarface macrumors regular

Trump, a Tax Cheat. You don't Say? Maybe if he had be forced to release those returns......this would have been found out earlier.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Based on the reporting from the beginning of the story, it likely took years to assemble the documents. And, this follows other reporting from folks like Tim O'Brien and David Cay Johnston. Trump's business practices are likely a very tough nut to crack, and because he's so litigious, there was likely additional reporting to confirm facts, along with a heady legal review.

Solid stories can take years to break. And, there's a clear sense that Trump's business practices evaded the review of authorities.

Anyone wonder what happened to that supposed audit that kept Trump from releasing his documents in 2016? I knew that line was ********, but it's really interesting to consider now.

11. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Donald Trump engaged in fraudulent activity? I'm shocked...Shocked !!!

12. samcraig macrumors P6

None of this matters. It's yet another reason he shouldn't be POTUS but for those that support him - not important. To them, this probably will be chalked up as proof how good he is at business.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

They'll praise Trump for beating the system. And, some blather about making liberals heads explode.

Americans have always loved a good con, but Trump supporters loved being lied to like a masochist likes to be beaten.

"Thank you sir, may I have another."

14. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Who wants to pay tax?

I know the idea of someone with means not funding the liberals' welfare State, so they can keep their voting base on the plantation, makes liberals' heads explode.

:p:p:p

15. TheHateMachine, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018

TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

"Fake news!" they will cry. SAD.

EDIT: Samcraig can clearly see in the future as evidenced by the responses of his base here.

16. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

simple. the tax code is there for everyone to read and everyone to use.

some choose to use it.

17. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I'm sure when liberals go to their accountants, they tell them they'd like to pay as much as they can.:rolleyes:

18. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The analysis doesn’t conclude that he took advantage of loopholes in the tax code. It concludes that he committed fraud in order to avoid lawful taxes.

19. Krayzkat Suspended

BUT, BUT, HILLARY....... AND HER EMAILS!!!!!

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Exactly. Trump's base will conflate him breaking the law with taking advantage of loopholes, they are entirely different issues.

This has nothing to do with liberals, "welfare states", etc...

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

This was a heck of a lot of high end resources for a paper to stick onto an investigation... these reporters haven't had bylines up since sometime last spring.... kudos to the Times for being willing to support that kind of work.

22. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I'm surprised about the additional broadside from the Editorial Board. Is this normal?

23. jerwin macrumors 68020

"But increasingly, Mr. Trump’s willingness to bend the truth — and the rules — in the service of his myth looks less like innocent exaggeration than malicious deception, with a dollop of corruption tossed in for good measure. It’s not the golden, glittering success story he has been peddling. It’s shaping up to be something far darker."

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Fred Trump's fortune was made largely by putting up apartment buildings financed with low-interest Government loans. The "welfare state" in this case being the Federal Housing Administration, which underwrote a massive building boom in the New York metro area after the end of WWII.

Fred Trump got below-market rates on the loans for the apartment buildings he put up because of corporate welfare.

25. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

'Cept The Donald probably didn't read the tax code..... Just instructed dodgy accountants and lawyers abuse it and other laws related to financial dealings.... One way and another didn't get caught too many times, but might be in for a rude comeuppance before too long!