Trump getting ‘nuttier and nuttier,’ campaign insiders say

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Aug 3, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Like we needed a newspaper article to know this.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/03/trump-getting-nuttier-and-nuttier-campaign-insiders-say/

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

guessing he is looking for his way out, hope it happens soon.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Trump gets out, Cruz gets in, galvanized Republicans flock to the polls, Hillary goes down in bitter defeat.

We should be careful what we wish for.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You do bring up an interesting question.

Should Trump drop out of the race, what is the precedent? I mean, are there any rules that the Blues or the Reds (or any party for that matter) have that handle this, because to the best of my knowledge, that hasn't happened before. As far as the General goes, it's pretty much a free-for-all, as a voter can write in any candidate's name that they want (hell, I joked about writing in Christopher Reeve once, because at the time we really needed Superman), but seriously.. what's the rule and/or precedent for this?

BL.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Cruz is worse than Trump. but I am not sure he would be the nominee.

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Trump isn't getting out he is going all the way and will destroy the party in the process. However, if he was to get out Cruz would be the worst possible choice. There are only two candidates that can swing it for the republicans "Paul Ryan" or "John Kasich"

7. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I called it love for trump earlier, it is more like infatuation.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Vice-Presidential candidates have dropped out (see Tom Eagleton) but as far as I know a major party Presidential candidate has not. That said, the political parties are private organizations so they can probably do as they please. If Trump drops out they will likely hold some high-level RNC conclave and get a new front-runner ASAP.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

What does Trump mean by that?

Paul Ryan is the Republican Speaker of the House of Representatives. You may very well have your differences with Paul Ryan from a public policy standpoint. But from a Republican Congress standpoint? I struggle to think of too many instances when a Republican Congressional Rep. has actually deviated from the party line. Has crossed over and voted for a Democratic proposal, or voted against a Republican one.

"Strong leadership" means different things to different people. But considering the admiration Trump has expressed for Vladimir Putin and Saddam Hussein - I think you could be forgiven if you thought he was talking about a Dictatorship.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Would not surprise me if Mike Pence drops out. He must go home every night and think "What the hell have I got myself into"

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

This ******* is going to piss enough people off no one is going to hand him a permit for a lemonade stand when this is over with.

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Or Trump saves face by making it look like the GOP booted him out, angering his supporters, who then refuse to go out and vote in November, causing Hillary to win by a landslide.

13. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Shudder. Cruz would be worse for the US than Trump.

I don't see Trump dropping out. No upside to doing it and all downside. The Republicans could put up Jesus if Trump dropped out but Trump supporters wouldn't go near him.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Hillary should be fair & drop out herself :D

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

If only...

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Every Trump property will look more destroyed and derelict than SCO did after suing IBM over code in Linux.

BL.

17. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, I doubt Cruz would beat Hillary but I wouldn't be all that disappointed if a moderate Republican like Kasich came in and beat Hillary. But even that would be a long shot because the Trump supporters would probably not support him. The Republican party is too fractured to elected a reasonable presidential candidate.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I thought you liked Trump.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Over Hillary ? YES

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Paul Ryan is a celenterate. No spine at all. He we roll over like a fat seal in the sun for Hillary.

21. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

FWIW, here's THinkProgress' take on what happens if Trump drops out. Sounds like a ****ing mess to me. Seems an awfully bad time to only have 8 justices on the SC.

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Who would be your ideal candidate?

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Thats exactly what would happen. The 168 top members of the RNC would select a new candidate.

But in order for that to happen Donald Trump has to voluntarily drop out. He cannot be forced out. And even if, as he suggested at one point, he shot and killed someone on Fifth Avenue, he would still be on the ballot come November. He'd just be sitting in jail awaiting arraignment or trial.

The thing is: I just don't see anything in Donald Trump's behavior or history that would suggest that he is going to drop out. Trump's psychology is that he can always pull off a last minute miracle. He could be thirty points behind in the polls; and looking at an Electoral College landslide of near-Reaganesque proportions - and he's going to tell himself that something is going to happen to turn things around.

I'm wondering if the scrambling in the Republican Party is, in effect, an effort to distance themselves from Trump to avoid truly catastrophic (from their perspective) down-ticket damage. That, in the long run, they'd rather lose the Presidency and keep the Senate.

The other irony that struck me was this:

It may turn out that Capt. Humayun Khan might have given his life for his country twice. He saved his comrades from an IED blast back in 2004. And he ended up saving his country from the catastrophe of a Trump Presidency in 2016.

Too bad we can't give him a medal for that.