Trump gives 1% of requested hurricane relief

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, May 20, 2017.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Love the suggested Trump responses commentary.

I'm a good negotiator, I'll give you 6 million. My opening bid is 6. It's not my fault your governor doesn't know how to haggle. Did you guys try real hard to deregulate the hurricane? The hurricane was a liberal. You cut taxes on the hurricane and it goes away. ;)

2. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Taxes really aren't supposed to reimburse all natural disaster losses, insurance is. Insurance companies paid out another almost $4 Billion for Matthew. The more governments pay out the less people insure ....... complaints?: negotiate with your insurance company.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I love how Congress was also involved in this.
    Maybe this'll help another red state turn blue. Sucks for the people of NC, though.

4. HEK Suspended

HEK

Trump knows he won't be re-elected. So why spend money on voters who won't vote for him. Fool them once, won't happen second time.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The flood insurance program is run by the government.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Wall is more important than people.
    Did North Carolina go to trump or Hillary?

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It's God getting back at NC for casting so many Democratic votes. :rolleyes:

Having grown up in an adjacent state and spending the best days of my holiday in the summer at OBX, I feel sorry for the people of NC affected by this. There's still a lot of poverty in NC, and this certainly won't help.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2017 ---
    It went to Trump but it was close.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Trump.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Agreed a sea wall is more important. Wait that's not what your talking about.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

But climate change and rising sea levels is just fake news perpetrated by the 'elites'....

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I haven't been to the region since the election. You suppose they've pulled down all those gigantic "Stop Obama's war on coal" signs? :rolleyes:

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

North Carolina already received $332M in emergency disaster relief, $96M from FEMA, and $110M from HUD. These are for shorter term findings.
    I hope they didn't expect $1B extra for long term relief in just a few months.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Reap what they sow

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They make Trump's hair peices there? I think he wears a model called the dead muskrat.

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

You stop that right now! No no no! We are here to bash Trump no matter what the actual facts are! This is from a YouTube video of some guy and his friend, and as we all know YouTube is basically just the Encyclopedia Britannica set to video. The narrative here is that they asked for $1 billion and have received only $6 million. That is the story here. Make a meme of it and move on.

16. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...tter-to-trump-administration-over-matthew-aid

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yep, they received the emergency and first response amount they asked.
    Now they want another billion in long term funds, which is obiously a longer process as everything has to be accounted for, up to the number of pages they print and use to shuffle memos. The administration granted $6M (ok, a sad amount) without asking questions - that is they had that money available and accepted the request for those $6M, which does not exclude, prevent, or delays the requests for the remaining amounts.
    Here they're making it like the state asked for emergency fundings and the feds just said no except for the $6M, as if obtaining $1B in non-emergency funds and grants from the feds was an easy and fast process.

18. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Seems we all agree that this is fake news. No shame in asking the mods to close this one out :D

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

From the same source: 'Hurricane Matthew struck last October, dumping 8 to 12 inches of rain across much of eastern and central North Carolina. It caused an estimated $4.8 billion in damage.'

So the federal government has paid about 29% of the damaged caused ($1.4B of $4.8B - a crude calculation admittedly). I doubt NC would have asked for the money of they didn't need it. The barrier islands on the coast of NC generate a lot of income from beach lovers like me, so if those islands are damaged the losses will continue to increase. No doubt the NC state officials are trying to ratchet up the pressure, but it sounds like there is a long way to go before the region recovers. People who live in the Midwest and West have no idea the havoc that a hurricane can cause.

One more thing, I have worked in government-funded institutions for more than 27 years, both in the US and UK. What tends to happen is that an extraordinary request for money is granted, and the mysteriously, as if by magic, the remaining budget is cut by the same amount. It'd be interesting to see the total flow of federal money into NC.

In any case, I am sure the people of NC will come to their own judgement about Trump. We'll see.

20. TPadden macrumors 6502a

No it isn't.

The Government merely acts as a middle man regulator in the insurance program: "You can only purchase flood insurance through an insurance agent or an insurer participating in the NFIP. You cannot buy it directly from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). If your insurance agent does not sell flood insurance, you can contact the NFIP Referral Call Center at (888) 379-9531 to request an agent referral."
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2017 ---
    They're called "barrier islands" for a reason: at least once or twice a generation they are pretty much called upon to serve as storm barriers. Beach lovers accept some (considerable) risk when they build their sand castles on barrier islands, if they can't afford the commercial insurance or loss of property they can visit whatever beach exists between hurricanes and storms.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The point is that NC has ongoing losses if the Tourism industry is hit. Insurance does not cover that. However, I am quite happy if the austerity-fairy-loving GOP to commit political suicide in NC. It's just a shame that the GOP are taking the people of NC down with them....

22. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Another point is some people don't expect the government to make up for tourism industry losses due to poor business insurance decisions concerning easily foreseeable risks. :)

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Why not? The federal government bails out all sorts of companies and banks. *cough*

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

This Is very reason I laugh when on HGTV when women always want seaside mic-mansion! To me build anywhere near water it's a when not if you will be flooded!

25. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Because when you build on a Barrier Island or in a flood plane you have to consider the possibility of a flood and the probability that the federal government will not bail you out. *sigh*