Trump gives himself 10/10 for Response to PR

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Rating the White House’s handling of the storm on a scale of 1 to 10, Trump said, “I give ourselves a 10,” because “we have provided so much so fast.”

Rossello, who is in Washington to lobby for more aid for his territory, sidestepped a question from a reporter about how he would rate the administration’s response.

When Trump followed up by asking him, “Did we do a great job?” Rossello answered: “You responded immediately, sir.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-19/puerto-rico-governor-to-meet-with-trump-at-the-white-house-today

I watched the whole statement. It sounds like the Governor was complimentary - but kept restating that there's a lot of work still left to be done. Meanwhile Trump kept patting himself on the back.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That was one a very awkward exchange.
Rossello showed his political chops by answering without answering.
Trump's bragging was down right embarrassing.
I think the whole thing (goes about 30 minutes) was a complete dog and pony show. I am sure Trump and his administration staged the whole thing and the Governor of PR - wanting to best serve the people of PR - sold himself out.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
He's so modest!

It was the next Katrina according to the left, I'd say it was a decent job 7/10
How in the hell is it a decent job when they still don't have power a month later, when they dragged their feet sending the hospital ship, and when people are drinking water from a hazardous waste site?

If people anywhere in the continental United States were resorting to getting their water from a hazardous waste site, you'd call that a failure. Because it would be. It's no less a failure when it's on an island.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
It was the next Katrina according to the left, I'd say it was a decent job 7/10
Trump said it wasn’t Katrina, but today said it was worse than Katrina. You know, playing both sides to fit his warped reality.

I’d give him a 7/10, but will deduct about 7 points for being -per usual- an asshat who makes a tragedy about himself.

Reactions: JayMysterio

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
You know (just in the sake of fairness) Trump didn't say if a '10' was good or bad... just 'perfect'. It could be a perfect ****up. Then I'd be more inclined to agree with that assessment.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Grading the White House's response to a hurricane, while people are still trying to get access to power and clean water, is a total waste of time.

Here's the thing, while FEMA went in quickly, major problems remain. The lack of power and clean water could result in epidemics of typhoid and dysentery.

And, the fact that many of Puerto Rico's farms were wiped out means long-term consequences for the island's food supply and the economy.

The good news for Trump is that no one can get to the U.S. Virgin Islands to report on the utter lack of support there.

Trump keeps celebrating this as his win, but the reality is that the Obama administration professionalized FEMA, improving the responses and management for an agency that was once a dumping ground for political players—which explains why Michael Brown was running FEMA in 2005.

Last edited:

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
So, on one hand you have a much more difficult scenario than Katrina (PR vs Continental) - otoh, they can't vote. I appreciate the particular difficulties here...but a little bit of culpa-mea seems appropriate...

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
He gave himself 10/10 for pronouncing it Poo-air-ho Reeeho. Not many people know that.

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Well he sure doesn’t deserve a 10/10. But at the same time doesn’t deserve the brainless criticism I’m also hearing and reading online either.