Trump Goes After Jeff Sessions.... Again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 21, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

This was his second tweet. In the first he misspelled Jeff's last name...

Total deflection. I welcome all investigations. But if Trump thinks this will get him off the "hook" - he's sadly mistaken.

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 10.38.34 AM.png

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

off the hook for what? I would be surprised if Mueller could connect Trump or his people to any of the Russians he's indicted.

A couple classics:

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

So you're going to deflect to Obama too? LOL

Trump and his administration are currently being investigated. One of the potential "charges" would be obstruction. Like I said - Trump's investigation is not going to disappear just because he wants to point the finger at someone else.

It's like getting pulled over and while the cop is determining if your license is valid, you're telling him about other people on the road that might have expired licenses.

Also - it's inappropriate to address Sessions like that. I don't like Sessions. But Sessions does not work for Trump.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

What do these quotes prove, again?

"After my election, I'll have more flexibility."

"The 1980s are calling and asking for their foreign policy back because the Cold War's been over for 20 years now, but governor when it comes to our foreign policy, you seem to want to import the foreign policies of the 1980s, just like the social policies of the 1950s, and the economic policies of the 1920s."

That in 2012 Obama didn't think Russia was the number one geopolitical threat. Yeah, most people thought that, and it wasn't until 2014, when the Russians invaded Crimea, and the Russian intervention in Syria in 2015, that the U.S. and Russia were at loggerheads.

Meanwhile, Fancy Bear, the Russian hacker collective that's likely under the GRU, didn't start their cyberattacks until 2014—though there are signs the group has been around since at least 2004.

Trump is attacking his own AG, who let's not forget recused himself from an investigation because he lied about his contacts with a Russian official, because he is trying to muddy the waters and thereby delegitimize an FBI investigation that has indicted Russian agents, and five members of Team Trump.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

If we're investigating Russia meddling in our elections then investigate them meddling in our elections irrespective of what administration is/was in office. If you want to understand how they did it and attempt to prevent it in the future, then this really shouldn't be a partisan issue. If that means hauling up members of the Obama administration then so be it.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I don't disagree.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sure. If Obama administration officials aided these actions, they should be prosecuted. But, Trump is just trying to throw up another red herring and again is trying to convince his supporters that the investigation is illegitimate.

As Thomas Friedman wrote this week—and I usually hate Friedman—"Whatever Trump Is Hiding Is Hurting All of Us Now."

8. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

As I recall, and I'm no Obama fan, the Obama regime placed sanctions on the Russians for their meddling and started the ball rolling for investigations. They did much more than Trump has done to smack the Russians for their meddling.

9. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I literally couldn’t care less. I’m not a Sessions fan.

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

This reminds me of Obama’s infamous lie... the one about insurance conservatives use to refute Trump’s 10,000 lies.

Trump crapped on Obama for this. He even crapped on Obama when Russians beat the U.S. in the Olympic Games. But not for interfering in the election. No, Obama was weak on “Rusher”. Trump is strong... the strongest.

Seriously, if you want to say nothing happened, Russia is weak, Trump doesn’t care... that’s wrong, but understandable. To try to put a spin on Obama about Russia to defend Trump... it’s like showing a video of a teenager stealing a Butterfinger and a video of an armed robbery to show how both are criminals.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I know what and why Trump is doing and I don’t think the Obama administration aided these actions. However it occurred on their watch, they appear to have known Russia was meddling, so hauling them up in front of congress and asking them questions in my eyes isn’t a “pivot” or deflecting anything.

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I can be both. And is. You already stated above you know why Trump is doing it. And it's because it's a pivot/deflection from his administration.

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I'm not doing the above. I'm simply calling out the the relationship Obama had with Russia and his past comments. I LOL when I think about the Romney debate. Same with his Oct. 2016 comments about Trump whining about election interference. All of them are priceless examples of his fail.

14. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

15. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Id love to see Sessions try to go after states over marijuana and then get smacked down before jumping ship.

16. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Don’t tweet about it, Fire Sessions.

17. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

No kidding!

18. 0007776 Suspended

19. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Sessions relinquished a safe seat in the Senate for this gig. That was a very very big deal to Jeff Sessions. He's not voluntarily going anywhere no matter what Trump calls him or says about him, and he knows Trump does know not to fire him.

Sessions had to recuse himself from Russia-related inquiries because the investigation looks into events and timeframes in which he worked to help elect Donald Trump. That recusal is entirely proper and Trump must have been told that a hundred times by now. Meanwhile Trump hammers on him unmercifully in public for recusing himself, in a way no other modern president has ever hammered on his own attorney general in public.

Donald Trump doesn't understand how his relationship with the Justice Department is supposed to work. It's not actually a golf club manager kind of appointment, the Attorney General slot. Yeah in theory the president can fire him. That's a theory with a huge price tag depending on the reason offered.

Anyway it's also possible that whatever Sessions may not have recalled... in his own testimony... might not be a nothingburger. And if not, that doubtless enrages Trump since he can't undo another person's knowledge of something that might damage Trump if it were to... uh... be recalled after all sometime. In that flurry of questions Kamala Harris threw at him, Sessions said at one point "I can't recall... er, at this moment."

Trump doesn't even know for sure that Sessions didn't already recall something or other and cop to it in closed session or remarks to Mueller. Trump needs to accept that and just let it sit there on the shelf instead of playing with the idea of firing his AG. This President would never get another AG nominee confirmed at this point, he's already been told that by Senators of his own party.

Atop the DoJ after Sessions' recusal, Rachel Brand already quit. That leaves Rosenstein and the solicitor general. That's it, that's all there is. If Trump fired Rosenstein after firing Sessions, it would mean he meant to emulate Nixon's having called upon his own solicitor general to come get anointed to become an acting AG and then finally fire an annoying prosecutor. But if Trump means to go there, he must have forgotten the rest of what ensued after that "Saturday Night Massacre", starting with the fact that the newly sworn-in acting AG not only fired the special counsel but promptly appointed a new one to continue the Watergate investigation.

20. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

That's the actions of a man living out a tv reality show in his own head.

21. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Mr. President, you ARE under investigation. On the campaign trail, out of the blue, Look at these Wiki Leaks. Russia please hack us some more! :oops:

22. Zenithal macrumors 604

It's akin to giving Trump the finger. He knows that Trump knows that if he fires, it's going to start a chain of issues for the White House on top of the crap they churn out and make public. Right now the White House is like a Spanish soap opera. So much drama.

23. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Thanks to the Toddler-in-Chief, I somehow ended up watching very old Mister Magoo cartoons (on YouTube). I miss those old 1970-80s cartoons.