Trump goes on Russian State TV to slam America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Sep 9, 2016.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

It's surprising how much Trump hates America.

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Yeah, in case you missed it, Donald Trump went on a Larry King talk show last night. One that is broadcast on an outlet called RT Today.

Which, for the simple-minded out there, is an arm of Russian Government funded propaganda channel Russia Today.

I'll spare you too many of the details. But if you can bear to sit through almost a half hour of these two clowns, have at it...

What's most comical (if it weren't so alarming) is that, when questioned about appearing on a Russian government-funded propaganda channel, the Trump people essentially admitted the got tricked into it by Larry King.

Are you really sure its a good idea to entrust our national security to someone that dimwitted?

3. zin Suspended

Russia Today is not "Russian TV". It's a 'news' outlet that is broadcast worldwide.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly. I'm tired of this RT is Russian propaganda full stop notion. Its got as much propaganda as BBC, CNN, NBC, etc. but people like Tom Hartmann (The Big Picture) and Lee Camp (Redacted Tonight) have made it very clear that at least when it comes to their own shows they have 100% editorial freedom. In fact, the entire production operation is done in house and just sent to RT daily for airing.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Owned and controlled by Putin.

Just like CCTV News is a news outlet that is broadcast worldwide - albeit one controlled by China.

It is interesting to read Russia Today and Xinhua along with other sources as long as they are covering third party content. e.g Xinhuas coverage of Africa is probably relatively free of bias. However Russia and Trump do seem to be connected so it's difficult to take RT seriously on him.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That is a distinction without actually being a difference. Although I'm glad to see that you actually manage to acknowledge it's questionable journalistic bona fides with the use of quotation marks.

I will note, for the record, I don't actually see where I wrote that Trump had appeared on Russian TV.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Trump seems keen to shoot himself in the foot.

8. zin Suspended

The article you linked to on Slate said that. You then used that to call him "dimwitted". The CNN reporter falsely refers to Russia Today as "Russian TV" that appeals to a "Russian audience".

That's not accurate. RT news doesn't even broadcast in Russia.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It is Russian propaganda though.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

And the head and the body.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

But you aren't denying that Russia Today is a propaganda outlet funded by the Russian Government?

I mean, the words "Russian TV" could mean a television set that was manufactured in Russia. It could mean television programming that was broadcast there. It could mean a historical drama filmed in St. Petersburg with a Russian cast and directors.

But it also, in this case, could be a program that was paid for by the Russian Government for the express intent of advancing their interests.

12. zin Suspended

Unless Donald Trump is a KGB/FSB agent, I see no issue with him answering questions from Larry King.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why won't he go on American TV?

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

You are wrong.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I see a difference between a Larry King interview being broadcast on RT, versus being a guest on a TV show that originated from Russia, with a Russian host, filmed in front of a Russian audience.

Is RT just one of the many media channels this video appears? It is shown exclusively on RT?

If it was rebroadcast by Al Jazeera, would we say Trump is appearing on Iranian TV?

16. zin Suspended

He has done tonnes of interviews on Fox News, NBC, ABC, CNN, and MSNBC...

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You really need to stop making excuses for him. Just the mere fact that he doesn't know what network he is doing his interviews for, shows a lack of due diligence on his part. Not presidential.

18. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Larry King works for RT? Not that I was following this guy one bit but...that's surprising. There aren't a lot of US entrtainers/showmaster/whatever you call 'em famous in Germany but he certainly is (be it for his stuff he did 10+ years ago).

19. zin Suspended

What excuses am I making? The CNN reporter is flat-out wrong when he says Trump appeared on Russian television aimed at a Russian audience.

Who gives a ****? He was answering questions from Larry King on a U.S. broadcast network ('RT America'), not Putin's press secretary. Clinton can do the same thing for all I care.

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Good questions. Theoretically, it is a syndicated show that has multiple outlets. Practically speaking, the last time I checked, RT was the only broadcast network that carried Larry King. Which is a good place for Larry King as far as I am concerned. I never liked the guy.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

RT is Russian tv. I don't believe Putin has no control over RTs content. That sounds very naive.

22. zin Suspended

This was an interview. They're not reporting news. Unless Putin is telling Mr. Trump what to answer the questions with, I really couldn't care less.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Are you naive enough to believe that our government doesn't inject stories into networks like CNN, NBC, ABC, Fox, etc. What about the british with the BBC?

RTV is no different.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

CCTV News is a Chinese government controlled network. Sadly, I find it more objective and useful than RT. RT today started out more like Radio Free Europe -- not objective, but, not focused on the political agenda of the current President. A while ago, RT went from being Russia Today to being Putin Today. I can't stand to watch it for more than 30 seconds-- the Putin agenda jumps out constantly. Simultaneously frightening, and, a bore.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They probably do to some degree. Yes.