Trump Golfs While Parents Bury Their Children

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

POS lying scumbag Donald Trump, who once promised that he would never even see his golf courses if he was elected and whose staff, just a few days ago, released a statement saying he would not go golfing this weekend out of respect for slain students, went golfing today as funerals were held for the children killed.

“Just 45 miles from where the mournful families broken by the latest school shooting laid their loved ones to rest, the President of the United States slipped on a white polo shirt, put a matching white cap on his head and set out for the golf course.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...f-funerals-shooting-victims-article-1.3830229

2. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Two people die every second somewhere in the world. Are you going to change your lifestyle just because of it? Didn't think so.

3. appleisking macrumors 6502a

I'm a private citizen, it's not the same thing. Regardless of how you may feel, this is definitely bad optics especially if you're currently the head of a party that has done everything it can to circumvent any chances of any new federal gun control laws.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So people complain when he visits the injured and complain when he doesn't attend the funerals?o_O

5. 0007776 Suspended

I think there would be less complaining if he were to actually push to do something about the issue rather than either blatantly ignore it by golfing or try to profit from it politically by attending funerals and sending thoughts and prayers but doing nothing else.

6. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

So him not golfing changes everything I see. Expectations these days.! Facepalm ‍♂️

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

[​IMG]

That's the thing I love about Trump, he has a tweet that ends up showing how hypocritical he truly is for almost any situation.

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Honestly if your kid died would you really want Donald Trump showing up and making himself the center of attention?

Let him play golf. He can and should talk to the families and affected peers after they’re buried.

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

... While they pay resort fees at his tacky golf “club”.

Obama was bashed for reading a TelePrompTer. When Trump does it, he’s “presidential” and democrats who don’t applause him are committing treason. When Obama golfed, it was a sin. When he wore mom jeans, it was a sin.

Trump is the republican answer to Obama (not a compliment). Hopefully next time, the American people actually get to choose the president based on votes rather than land size.

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

At this point, does it really matter what he does? We all know (in our hearts, even the supporters who refuse to say it out loud) that he's a giant scumbag. You're either in the camp that thinks that we are still a country where manners and common decency still matter and you are ashamed that he's our president, or you're a member of the f%&$ you brigade who think that it is more important to be able to do whatever the hell you want than to be a decent human being. The f%&$ you brigade already won and the country will not recover for a long time, if ever.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

12. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Well, to Trumps credit he did say he will not play over weekend, and it was Monday.
    So he kept his promise.

but...

Absolutely correct.
    Trump will always be a HYPOCRITICAL vulva gabbing scumbag.

Just like Obama, from what I hear.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Worth pointing out Obama did not attend Newtown funerals. I think having the President attend such funerals probably detracts from the service.

Obama did visit the families, which is entirely appropriate. I’m not so sure Trump would be received well, but the effort should be made on his part. But if Trump went to comfort the families, he would be seen as conceding we have a problem, so he probably won’t.

14. Chupa Chupa, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I assume you said the same thing about Obama when he golfed during the Louisiana flood of 2016? -- people died there too in addition to a lot of property damage making people at least temporarily homeless. Care to link that post?

This is not to suggest either is OK, rather that 1) people shouldn't use these occasions to trumpet their own politics and 2) the visuals of the president in recreational mode rather than in concern and mourning mode is terrible no matter who is president.

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

It is not just the prez, it's the whole party line on these incidents. That one even has to say "these incidents" doesn't do justice to the fact that there have been sixteen hundred mass shootings in the US since Sandy Hook. Yeah. That's 1600 incidents, not 1600 victims. I won't say the Democrats have the answer to gun violence. I'll say if pols quit taking money from the NRA to just stonewall our honest inquiry, our honest debate, our honest effort to do more than settle for carping over how anyone reacts to or covers the next and the next and the next mass shooting (each of which has involved use of a gun, as opposed to a serrated steak knife, for instance), then we might finally get focused on what we can sensibly do to diminish gun violence. Who knows whether prevention of the next incident is more about awareness, communication, education, enforcement, treatment or addressing deficiencies and loopholes in laws most of us acknowledge are sensible and life-saving. We don't know. We divide into groups and yell at each other because that's an acceptable outcome to the NRA and to the members of Congress it sponsors. To them anything beats actually working together. Across-the-aisle togetherness is anathema to a bunch of pols with a tenuous grip on its majority in this iteration of our federal government.

Don't know what the Republican party line is? Can't find it outlined in the official platform past any passing nod to deep reverence for the Second Amendment? Here's what it looks like from the other side of the fence. Two minutes and twenty-three seconds of your life to get a second opinion of

Let the Republicans at least admit they've been on autopilot while taking those campaign donations from the gun lobby's mouthpiece.

16. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

He hasn't changed his lifestyle just because he became president, continuing to fill up his days playing golf and watching cable news, so I don't expect this tragedy to change it.

And beside the golf itself, it's the utter hypocrisy as shown above in post #8.

17. Mac'nCheese thread starter Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I'm not the President who promised to never see his golf courses and whose staff just said he wouldn't go golfing out of respect. You do see the difference right?

No, we complain when he does something stupid and heartless. We didn't complain when he visited the injured, we complained that he was smiling and giving the thumbs up in pictures. Again, see the difference?

But But But Obama!!!! Yeah, Obama shouldn't have done that. And Bill got a BJ. Let's concentrate on the POS in office not the ones who aren't.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Your insincere response just demonstrates my point. You have Trump Derangement Syndrome same as many people had Obama Derangement Syndrome or Hillary Derangement Syndrome. It's raw partisanship, protecting "their" candidate or president while attacking one from the opposing party for essentially doing the same horrible thing.

You toss out lots of silly excuses for Obama that have ZERO to do with why he relaxed and golfed while Louisianans drowned. Complete non-sequitur. And honestly, it's not like Obama or his predecessors didn't break some of their respective campaign pledges. All politicians break campaign pledges. Everyone over ten years old realizes most of what comes out of a pol's mouth is B.S.

Bottomline is you didn't attack Obama at the time for being insensitive to those suffering in Louisiana in 2016, but have no problem attacking Trump for essentially the same faux pas today. Yeah, yeah, the other side does it to. Doesn't make it right. It's cynical either way and why people detest politics so much. It should just be about people. Screw the politics -- who wins, who loses. It's not a game. It's people's lives.

19. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

This post slams the door on anyone trying to justify this, no wonder they got quiet.

20. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Looking only at the fact that Trump played golf yesterday misses the broader issue. His golf game came on the heels of a weekend in which he spent more time at a disco party than with families or first responders and then tried to use this tragedy to attack the Russia investigation. There's a big difference between someone playing golf but remaining engaged and expressing genuine sympathy for the people who are suffering, and someone who played golf but appears clearly to only care about how this tragedy affects him.

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Congress has to do something, he's not a King. What did Obama do in his 8yrs on the throne regarding gun control? He has to wait for Congress to send him a bill. Until then we want him sitting Shiva with black curtains on the mirrors in the white house? Listen, I'm not a fan of his by any stretch, but people really can't help making political hay just for the sound bites and to find something else to get triggered over.

22. Mac'nCheese thread starter Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I made no excuses for Obama. none.

23. 0007776 Suspended

Obama at least tried to push Congress to do something. It failed, but he tried. In case you forgot the president’s job is to lead not to just sit around and wait for Congress to do something. Trump could be sitting down with lawmakers and telling them to propose a bill to actually do something. Even if he doesn’t want to restrict guns he could at least go the route that the Republicans claim they want and tell Congress to pass a bill to provide greater access to mental healthcare.

24. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

No I’m suggesting people shouldn’t be hypocrites.