Trump has a good point on minimum wage laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, May 25, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Each state has different costs of living. A national minimum wage doesn't necessarily fit all states.

Eliminating minimum wage has yet to show that companies would hire for the same wage or higher, however. Unless there are theoretical graphs that would prove it? (And notarize it since the media should be held accountable, since they get paid to tell it, and part of the cost of running that business is to ensure truth and integrity that we read and then tell others about, usually citing sources.)

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm pretty liberal, and this is a point I agree on.

A minimum wage of $15.00 would kill small businesses and the economy of a region like many places in the south east, where you generally have a lower cost of living, but in states like California and New York, which have high costs of living, it makes more economic sense to have a higher minimum wage.

3. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Nope. As always, the real minimum wage is $0:

Building robot McDonald's staff 'cheaper' than hiring workers on minimum wage
    A former McDonald's CEO warned that robots will take over staff jobs at the fast food empire - because it's cheaper than employing humans.

Ed Rensi has said that buying highly skilled robotics is a cheaper alternative than employing people on minimum wage to work in the company's worldwide restaurants.

He warned that huge job losses are imminent, and commented that it would be 'common sense' to replace humans in the workplace.

This comes as a study into the future of human employment has predicted a surge in machine-led work such as robotic counsellors, body part makers and virtual lawyers.​

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

And with the development of self service machines, you have now created hundreds, possibly THOUSANDS of jobs ranging from entry level to high paying. Repairmen, software developers, hardware designers, transport, management training, etc.

5. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Any of them minimum wage jobs? No? There you go.

6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It can easily create entry level jobs. Those building the machines, those who offer assistance to customers, transporting materials, basic repairs. I can't say it'll make jobs that are minimum wage, but there are plenty that it could.

7. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I don't think so. We've hit a tipping point where it's going to be a lot cheaper to buy robots than hire minimum wage labor. The $15/hour crowd put themselves out of work.

8. MadeTheSwitch, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's not Trump's plan, that's my plan! :eek: I have been saying this for years! With a country 3000 miles across and very diverse economically, it makes zero sense to take a one size fits all approach to minimum wage, because one size doesn't fit all. $15 might even be too low for a place like NYC or SF, while it is way too high for places like Alabama or Kansas. Thus minimum wage should be tied to cost of living based on geographical districts. Not a random act of congress. Even by state is overly broad.

9. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

A federal minimum wage doesn't mean states can't choose to be higher, but $15 as a federal minimum is obviously too high for various reasons. I say set a federal $10 minimum and then let states like New York bump it up to where they see fit. A $15 minimum wage isn't going to mean much for the workers when they are laid off and have their jobs outsourced to China or replaced by robots.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

Aka, a Pyrrhic victory.

11. Robisan macrumors 6502

Speaking of things that Trump actually has a point...

[​IMG]

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's funny that those two are arguing. They both leverage a similar brand of nonsense.

13. von franklin macrumors regular

von franklin

So lets lets take minimum wage if we made it the same across the USA then we would have to make everything the same Cross the USA. take Germany they have the polizei same police force the whole country over, same standard. gas is $4.47 a gallon whole country. Germany just passed a minimum wage law theirs is $9.50 an hour. now they pay more more for everything yet there are few homeless people

14. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

You can't compare Germany to the US.
    It's basically impossible to become homeless in Germany. There are things like Hartz IV which pays for your rent, your healthcare and gives you something like 430$ per month directly to your bank account. That's without any time limit and 100% free, you don't have to pay anything back.

15. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Erm, only not...

Normal police is organized in the states (Bundesländer). Was quite visible when the adoption of the new color schemes (blue-white instead of green-white for cars and black for uniforms instead of green-beige) happened over several years depending on region.

There are offcourse federal police forces that are tasked similar to FBI, Coastguard or Homeland-security).

Back to wages, sure 8.50€ is the federal minimum but while it's also considered a normal wage in some parts (mostly eastern Germany) you'd have problems filling even the most basic position with such an offering elsewhere.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The problem is I don't see a lot of people wanting to deal with a machine for every purchase. I think it was at the Newark Airport I tried a restaurant that had only the option of ordering through a computer. The food was good for an airport, but I would never go back there since it is a much bigger pain to deal with a machine than a person. Personally I'd be willing to pay more to go to a fast food restaurant that paid actual people to work there than to go to a glorified vending machine.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Older people will be less likely to adopt newer technologies as always, ordering via a phone and picking up should be pretty damn easy though. Probably store your favorites and have a one click order.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I also hate ordering through an app, although I would prefer it to talking to an automated phone system. Then again since I'm in my early 20's maybe I'm too old to adapt...

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You got left behind like 5 years ago, get used to using apps and AI assistants for everything.

20. juanm, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Yes, but no. If you build all that in China (and it WILL be built in China, make no mistake), you haven't created anything of value locally. Sure, some local maintenance will be created, but transportation? hardware designers? Software developers? Come on...

Automation will leave the medium and lower classes worse off, while lifting the production capital cut-off line even further up.

21. HEK Suspended

HEK

I won't use robots. I go to tellers and human employees even if line is longer. People need to treat each other better and support each other. Screw the ceo, board of directors, and stock holders. Employ people, provide a living wage and benefits. Using cheap foreign labor or robots didn't make these companies grow. Having a large middle class that can buy goods and services is what feeds economy in long run. I'm so going to have fun when driverless cars are rolled out. Can't be road rage when I cut off a driverless car, hehehe.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    Just keep hitting zero over and over, you will get a human.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    Serve the machines.......only the 1% masters get to live like humans.

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

A mandated minimum wage reduces opportunity for beginners in the work force. An increase in the minimum wage has always led to layoffs. In a healthy economy, the layoffs generally have been relatively short-term. In the present economy--and, likely, for years to come--the layoffs will be long-term. Replacement of workers by mechanization is well underway, so all this "$15!" is obviously harmful to the bottom tier of the workforce. More "helps the few, hurts the many".

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Usually your posts are reasonably well thought out, but unfortunately here you have bought into a blatant lie. There is little to no negative effect on employment from minimum wage increases.

24. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

And there you have it.

25. HEK Suspended

HEK

Cherry pick why don't you.

I won't use robots. I go to tellers and human employees even if line is longer. People need to treat each other better and support each other. Screw the ceo, board of directors, and stock holders. Employ people, provide a living wage and benefits. Using cheap foreign labor or robots didn't make these companies grow. Having a large middle class that can buy goods and services is what feeds economy in long run. I'm so going to have fun when driverless cars are rolled out. Can't be road rage when I cut off a driverless car, hehehe.