Trump has mentioned the election one out of every five days over the past year

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Nov 8, 2017.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

In 2018 I hope he pushes it to 2 out of 5 days.

2. GermanSuplex, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

When he said he was going to get tired of winning, I thought he meant a succession of victories. I didn't know he was literally going to be tired because he won.

3. zin macrumors 6502

I suppose the "journalists" at The Washington Post have to get paid to do something.

There is no way I am paying them to view this article, though.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Thanks for posting that. I love knowing who is going to click on an article or not. I'm keeping a tally.

5. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Well I clicked it twice, once for me and once for zin.

6. zin macrumors 6502

I did click the article. It threw up a paywall so I can't read it.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You can always go to private mode in your browser and circumvent it.

8. zin macrumors 6502

Wow, that did actually work. Could've sworn I've tried that with The Post in the past with no luck.

Long article. Clearly lots of work went into it. Pictures and everything. Struggling to see the news value, though. Not quite as bad as CNN's hit pieces. Reminds me of Buzzfeed. I think that Philip Bump needs to apply his "analysis" to a real piece of journalism.

The bonfire of crap gets bigger every day.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Why? Doesn't really seem to be working for him. But when you have no future, you are only left with reflecting on the past.

He meant that we were going to get tired of all his whining.

Yes, the bonfire of the crap presidency Trump has, is growing every day.

10. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

It's literally one of the best journalistic sources in the United States.

11. zin macrumors 6502

The Washington Post is a trash outlet that was in the tank for Hillary and the DNC during the primary and general election. It's more like the print form of CNN.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The news value is that the President is constantly talking about a distant win, roughly at the rate that he plays golf.

For me, the money quote:

It's a minor piece done by one of the Post's correspondents and their digital team. Since November 6, Philip Bumb has written nine pieces including this one.

I guess the folks at the Washington Post could engaged in the kind of clear-eyed, completely unbiased story that Fox News is running, such as "Mexico fights for Monster," on how Mexico is arguing that U.S. prosecutors violated a treaty by keeping one of their citizens from contacting the consulate's office after he was accused, and later convicted, of the rape and murder of a teenager in 1997.

Or, they could just do real journalism like quoting their own boss' satellite radio interview like the boys at Breitbart.

Or, there's the fine journalism at the Daily Caller: "Watch: One Year Ago Today, The Establishment Media Crashed and Burned."

Or, the Onion-esque post: "Sad, Lonely Atheists Fill Meaningless Days By Campaigning Against Prayer On March Into Desolate Nothingness."

13. zin macrumors 6502

I think you've got the wrong impression. Just because The Washington Post is rubbish doesn't mean the others you mentioned are any better. Fox and Breitbart are both crap.

The Onion is actually pretty funny. Has been beaten to a few stories by CNN.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Which outlet is a good news source?

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The newspaper that Zin apparently needs to start.

16. Zenithal macrumors G3

17. zin macrumors 6502

UPI is a pretty good international newswire when it comes to a starting point for a story. Then you can prance around the other outlets, left and right, to cancel out all of the ********. The Associated Press is unfortunately not a reliable wire source because of its extensive bias in Middle Eastern affairs reporting.

In terms of breaking news, such as natural disasters or terrorism, I can't fault most of the outlets.

In reality there are no single sources that are good in this day and age (of the national and international outlets, that is). Nobody should trust the organised press. Today they are nothing more than a captured industry by political and corporate puppet masters. It's a cartel.

18. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

It's become a tell at this point. When Trump tweets about the election, it means he's having a bad day and is giving himself a pep talk.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Like I said, you need to start your own media empire. I think you are missing your calling here.

20. Zenithal macrumors G3

Great Britain has enough trashy papers like Daily Mail and The Sun.

21. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

I've decided that I really enjoyed helping pay the Washington Post to bring that into the light. It's newsworthy in the extreme. How many other US presidents have kept harping on how they won the election, won the election, won the election.....?? Answer: zero.

Trump is completely off the wall. I could and did accept that he won the election, even if he still seems so unsure of it he has to keep saying it out loud. Maybe he feels if he doesn't reinforce word of his victory once in awhile, then it might fall right out of that reality TV show inside his brain.

Anyway, unlike Trump himself, I don't think it's possible to rig an election for the US presidency. So I believe that he won the electoral vote and so won the Presidency.

Still, I cannot for the life of me understand Trump's ongoing obsession with the fact that he won the 2016 election. People win elections all the time. Then they have a party. Then they go out and try to do the job they were elected to do.

So how's that going? Trump's party just got the stuffing beat out of it in the off year elections, two dozen GOP congressmen are resigning rather than run again in 2018, the GOP majority Congress looks like it couldn't agree on the time of day, much less on how to scrape up another 74 billion bucks to pay for the tax cuts, but Trump is tweeting today that he won the 2016 election.

OK then. That 2016 win and eight bucks (if they have it) buys each Trump supporter four boxes of Cheerios the next time the deep sale comes around to a store near them.

Meanwhile they get bupkis from their idol in the oval. Oh, well he did finally sign a bill the other day that officially blocks a consumer protection rule that was going to limit corporate rights to require prospective employees or consumers to agree to binding arbitration of future disputes before employment or completion of transactions.

But that blocking legislation wasn't created for benefit of Trump supporters. It was for Trump, so his hotel housekeepers and landscape contractors can't sue him... and for the likes of Wells Fargo and Equifax and any other company that doesn't want you or me or anyone else to bring a class action lawsuit against them when they've done us some major wrong. Welcome to another gate around the gated oligarchies.

But hey, that's just another little detail that may escape the people who voted to put this guy into office. Trump apparently thinks all his base needs to remember is that he won the election in November of 2016. And amazingly enough, somewhere around 30% of his supporters apparently agree.

The other story I am certainly willing to help pay the Washington Post to write is the story that gets printed on the day Trump leaves office. His legacy preview. Place your bets now if you think he'll mention that he won the 2016 election on his last day in office. We know the WaPo will add that mention to the tally. How many thousands of times will we have been reminded? Maybe the WaPo could raffle off a car for a buck a guess....

22. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

But the mean old press won't let him enjoy his win because they keep reporting his lies....

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The "organized press." What does this even mean? Is there a rabble I can join? Are you trying to draw a distinction between outlets and freelancers?

This is the kind of thing that sounds like wise cynicism, but is actually self-serving moonshine.

Certainly, there are press outlets that find themselves on the wrong side of the balance between corporate/political interests and news, but there are others that seek the truth and do effective, useful journalism. Sometimes that's the same outlet depending on the day.