Trump heard the left crowing about his 100 days

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
should get a story that does not have to have a disabled ad-blocker. I wonder if an executive order can do it? they seem to be limp dicks in the staying power they seem to have.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
There's a familiar Trump pattern at work here:
  • find someone to blame for something
  • make unsourced, often inaccurate claims
  • start out negotiations not with a handshake but with an underlying threat.
Between this and his attempts to murder the ACA, he's going to be making business leaders very, very nervous.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Congress passed the North American Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act in 1993. Presumably, it would take a similar Act of Congress to undo it.
Presumably, as head of the executive branch, he could decide not to enforce the treaty. That'd snarl up the government (as presumably lawsuits would have to be filed against his failure to uphold the law), but as a guy who generally seems to want to burn down the government, I doubt he'd have a problem with that. His base would be happy about it too. :(
[doublepost=1493255360][/doublepost]
Between this and his attempts to murder the ACA, he's going to be making business leaders very, very nervous.
Nah. This week we got to see how business leaders will fall in line behind Trump, as after reading his tax proposal, they've been blinded by the flashing dollar signs in front of their eyes. Looks like they're ready to roll over and play dead for him.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Trump drafting EO to pull out of NAFTA if things don't go his way.
Proof right here that you don't have a clue as to how the government in the US works..

and what makes it worse is that being an ex-pat American yourself, you should know better.

BL.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Trump drafting EO to pull out of NAFTA if things don't go his way.
Yeah well, he's already meeting republican resistance to that idea, so good luck.

Sen. McCain: 'Withdrawing From NAFTA Would Be Disaster'
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/NAFTA-Canada-free-trade-North-America/2017/04/26/id/786640/

Seriously you keep backing a guy who can't get even reds on board with his temper tantrums.

Why on earth do you keep supporting this clown?
[doublepost=1493261997][/doublepost]BREAKING NEWS:

Oh Zombie, it looks like your boy capitulated and caved yet again.

Trump agrees not to terminate NAFTA after calls with Canada’s Trudeau and Mexico’s Nieto

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/trump-agrees-not-to-terminate-nafta-after-calls-with-canadas-trudeau-and-mexicos-nieto/

I am laughing so hard right now that you might even be able to hear it in Canada. LOL

The hits just keep on coming with your guy. :D

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
And is taking drastic measures:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/sec.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/white-house-readies-order-to-quit-nafta-administration-official/article34818889/?service=amp

Like I've said for a while, the left should be glad nothing is getting done while it lasts. Bumpy ride ahead.
That's exactly what this country needs, a stupid, brittle, egotistical leader who first brags about how he's the only one who can get things done, and then acts recklessly when he realizes he isn't fulfilling his own delusional timeline.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
That's exactly what this country needs, a stupid, brittle, egotistical leader who first brags about how he's the only one who can get things done, and then acts recklessly when he realizes he isn't fulfilling his own delusional timeline.
And can't get anything done anyway.

I think he misspoke. I think he meant to say that he is the only one who cannot get things done. :D

Reactions: citizenzen

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
With each passing day, the more Donald Trump opens his mouth, the more intelligent Baldrick becomes in my eyes.
Had to look it up ...

[doublepost=1493263428][/doublepost]
And can't get anything done anyway.

I think he misspoke. I think he meant to say that he is the only one who cannot get things done. :D
Who knew pulling out of NAFTA would be so complicated?

Who knew?!

ourNationalDisgrace.jpg

Last edited:

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah well, he's already meeting republican resistance to that idea, so good luck.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/NAFTA-Canada-free-trade-North-America/2017/04/26/id/786640/

Seriously you keep backing a guy who can't get even reds on board with his temper tantrums.

Trump agrees not to terminate NAFTA after calls with Canada’s Trudeau and Mexico’s Nieto

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/trump-agrees-not-to-terminate-nafta-after-calls-with-canadas-trudeau-and-mexicos-nieto/

I am laughing so hard right now that you might even be able to hear it in Canada. LOL

Depends if he secured any promises on better deals with the calls he made. He does this quite a bit where he says he's going to blow up the world to make the meeting in the Middle further on his side. Trudeau was getting all fired up on dairy, we will see if that continues.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Depends if he secured any promises on better deals with the calls he made. He does this quite a bit where he says he's going to blow up the world to make the meeting in the Middle further on his side. Trudeau was getting all fired up on dairy, we will see if that continues.
That totally undermines your whole sticking it to the Dems/drastic measures narrative. Keeping something isn't a drastic measure.

Reactions: Eraserhead

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
That totally undermines your whole sticking it to the Dems/drastic measures narrative. Keeping something isn't a drastic measure.
NAFTA is set to be renegotiated, so "keeping" it doesn't necessarily mean it's the same, if you come into the negotiation with the possibility of blowing it up you might get better deals, especially when you are the one with the most leverage.

Negotiating with someone willing to walk away from the table is a very different situation than someone you know will do nothing (Obama)

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom

That's the problem with listening to the media narrative. He didn't change his position. The position in his 100-day plan was to renegotiate NAFTA and withdraw if he couldn't get a fairer deal. It's written plainly in that document.

And using establishment Republicans, especially John McCain, to justify opposition to Donald Trump is a terrible move. Anything John McCain supports is usually not good for America or the world.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah? And, if we do walk away from the table, what then? We simply stop trading with Canada?
Canada is more reliant on the US than the US is reliant on Canada, so if Trudeau wants to take it there and wreck the economy and lose his job, sure. Politicians are cowards, Trump knows this.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

This is just a classic 4D Chess move by the masterful "Art of the Deal" Trump. I wonder if he gets sick of winning, right guys? Guys!?

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
NAFTA is set to be renegotiated, so "keeping" it doesn't necessarily mean it's the same, if you come into the negotiation with the possibility of blowing it up you might get better deals, especially when you are the one with the most leverage.

Negotiating with someone willing to walk away from the table is a very different situation than someone you know will do nothing (Obama)
But again not the "drastic measure" thing that you attempted to portray things as. Just empty threats and rhetoric as usual from this White House.

Reactions: jpietrzak8

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
And is taking drastic measures:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/sec.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/white-house-readies-order-to-quit-nafta-administration-official/article34818889/?service=amp

Like I've said for a while, the left should be glad nothing is getting done while it lasts. Bumpy ride ahead.
The link provided now say's trump is not going to change course on NAFTA... There are things that I like and dislike about that agreement, but perhaps he's finding out that in international negotiations there are consequences to backing out of a deal, and renegotiation doesn't always leave you in a 'better' position.

Reactions: jpietrzak8

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Canada is more reliant on the US than the US is reliant on Canada, so if Trudeau wants to take it there and wreck the economy and lose his job, sure.
Color me confused. Sure, this may have been true decades ago. But today? You can get all the manufactured goods you could ever want from China. Food crosses borders more easily than ever before. The US may be exporting petroleum again, but Canada has plenty for their own needs.

I think Canada would have an easier time today just picking up its ball and going home than ever before. I could see a "NAFTA without the US" treaty going forward quite easily at this point, freezing the US out of growing markets.

And this is the subtle cost of globalization: if you decide not to play, the rest of the kids can go on without you. We can't just sit back on our laurels and assume that everyone else has to do things our way.

Politicians are cowards, Trump knows this.
Trump certainly believes this. Unfortunately for him, he's been running into politicians who are not cowards. He went toe-to-toe with the Freedom Caucus on the ACA a few weeks back, threatened them with every tool in his arsenal, tried to peel off individuals by saying he'd primary them, and they held firm. It was instead Trump who blinked.

Odd fact: politicians are, actually, not cowards. It takes extreme amounts of self-confidence to put yourself up in front of the people and have them vote on your qualifications. Sure, lots of politicians are slimeballs, but not cowards.

Reactions: Eraserhead

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008

Funny.. It was you and your lot who called Obama the compromiser/capitulator-in-chief..

Now, you play apologist for Trump doing the same thing.. Oh, the hypocrisy.

BL.