Trump: I will "destroy" Johnson amendment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kobalap, Feb 2, 2017.

1. kobalap macrumors 6502

I think this is fake news but if it is real, I hope it is worded carefully lest we be opening the door for Sharia law advocates being able to lobby politicians.

Trump: I will 'destroy' Johnson amendment - CNNPolitics.com

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If there is video of him saying something, do you just assume it is CGI and a voice actor or something?

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You mean it's fake news that Trump said he'd repeal the Johnson Amendmeht or fake news that he'll be able to pull it off? If the latter, I tend to agree.

I realize I'm leaving aside your concern about Sharia law advocates lobbying the government. On that one: writing a law to allow everyone but adherents to a certain religion to lobby the government for anything would be writing an unconstitutional law.

4. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

I dunno. I thought the going sentiment now is that all news is fake news. Isn't that the argument the Trumpeters used to dupe the Republican party?

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

if they want to preach then how can they be non profit? political groups don't get non profit status.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 2, 2017 ---
    except I heard him say it so that says really fake.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I thought the only news coming out of the prayer breakfast was Trump praying for Arnold's ratings to go up. Of course, Arnold's response was pure gold.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

why should preachers be able to recommend a politician? there is no politician god would recommend.

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I heard this on NPR today. Yes, I'm right thinking but listen to NPR. I like to hear what the crazy people say about things.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Gee even I don't listen to NPR lately, I've gone back to parking an old iPhone in a speakerdock and letting it wake me to music instead. But good for you! I just need a break from NPR for awhile. Not sure if it's their views or just the subject matter. Or, my regional station's local news readers breathlessly intoning the call letters of all the local PBS stations at breakpoints. There's one reader who makes that gig sound like an upscale vitamin pill commercial :rolleyes: and she's even worse when she's mentioning corporate contributors like hospices. I mean like I get out of bed then to prove I can make it through the day on my own LOL.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

just listen to the right here you can get your feel of crazy. :D

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Seriously? Why do you think all the things you don't want to hear is "fake"?

This is REAL news. And it's horrifying. It's been in place for over half a century for a reason!

13. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Given his ego, he must have taken the Johnson amendment literally and think it has to do with the President's penis.

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

He's still trying to appeal to fundies. Good thing this is something he can't do with a flourish of his pen.

16. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

"...get rid of and totally destroy.."?

Uh-Huh. Yes Lord Vader! :rolleyes:

Comical.

17. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

To Trump, that's only a technically.
    He will harass the SCOTUS until they "understand Trump"

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The fundamentalist christians will be Trump's foot soldiers, this is him consolidating their support.

19. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

It's an interesting notion. I see why fundamentalist Christians want this but how does one write legislation around this that allows Christian's to be politically active but not Muslims? Because I get the impression that the segment most fearful of Sharia law and/or the propagation of Islam in the U.S. are the fundamentalist Christians.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Oh I hope he tries that. :D Even Justice Alito might rise up and tell Trump that #MAGA does not mean tearing down the walls between the three branches of our government.

I always thought Trump was big on walls. Anyway the one governmental wall Trump will soon enough understand is that between the House and the Senate. Sometimes stuff the House does can manage to get over the wall to the other chamber, but by the time it gets there it's exhausted from fending off public clamor against it, and ends up sprawled on a table for the rest of the term before expiring.