Trump: "I'd love to see a [government] shutdown"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 6, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-says-he-would-love-a-government-shutdown-over-immigration/

"If we don't change it, let's have a shutdown. We'll do a shutdown and it's worth it for our country," Mr. Trump said in a roundtable meeting with law enforcement officials at the White House Tuesday afternoon. "I'd love to see a shutdown if we don't get this stuff taken care of."

I had to chuckle at this part though:

"By the way, the world is laughing at us because they can't believe these policies. They don't have it. I could name 15 of them right now. No other country in the world has what we have," Mr. Trump said in the meeting.

1. Other countries aren't laughing at us. If anything they are crying for us.
    2. I don't think Trump could name 15 countries.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

"Um.... Russia. Mexico. Russia. Korea. Russia. Gyna. Russia. That's 15. Got it. I'm a genius. Like really smart. 15. I can name 15 countries, that's like all of them."

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You forgot Puerto Rico ;)

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's clear Trump has.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

There's nothing to say here.. so I'll just leave this here instead

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And New Mexico.

Build the wall.

8. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Dim bulb Trump forgot that 2018 is a midterm election year. But sure let's enjoy a second shutdown.

9. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

Why wouldn't Trump want an government shutdown?

Any government shutdown over DACA would rest squarely on the shoulders of Democrats as passing a CR or budget has nothing to do with immigration reform.

As the Democrats learned last time, AMERICANS do not want the government shutdown over immigration.

Democrats are already on their way to extinction in 2018, shutting down the government again and veering more radical left would simply accelerate it.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Even if we assume that Trump and the GOP-led Congress won't take a political hit for this—his supporters will lap up whatever garbage he serves them—it's still an incredible abrogation of their basic duties.

And, it's further proof that the Trump-led GOP cannot govern.

Trump has no credibility on this. He even rejected a bipartisan deal from Sens. McCain and Coons, which included 54 co-sponsors evenly split 27-27 among Republicans and Democrats.

This despite previously promising that DACA recipients would be fine, that he wanted a bill of "love" and that he would "take the heat" and "sign anything."

11. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Because he's talking out of both sides of his mouth. If he's concerned about the military and our safety - he shouldn't be "loving" a shut down. It's contradictory. What he should be doing is being gravely concerned over a government shutdown (another one) and trying to foster unity. You know - like he said at the SOTU.

No - he'd LOVE a government shut down so he can berate/blame Democrats.

talk about making something political...

12. zin macrumors 6502

Wow, Dems weren’t satisfied with one shutdown. It looks like they want another.

They’ve been offered massive amnesty for millions and they’re having none of it. They are seriously giving the Republicans a run for their money on the obstruction front.

13. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No. So far we don't have any evidence that Dems WANT a shutdown. We only have evidence that Trump, a Republican, wants one. Facts are stubborn things.

14. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

He isn't 'loving' a shutdown for the sake of 'loving' a shutdown, he is 'loving' a shutdown because it means the Democrats are committing suicide.

15. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Read my post again. I think it went over your head. Sincerely.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Because holding the budget hostage like this is stupid, and further shows that Republicans cannot govern. How many CRs do we have under Trump?

The McCain-Coons bill included a structure for the deployment of the "most practical and and effective technology available along" the border for "achieving situational awareness and operational control of the border," which includes the deployment of technology, and reintroduces a "Southern Border Strategy," which would demand DHS assess which technologies, including barriers, would work along the border. The bill also pushes for longer flight-times for CBP aircraft, and adds funding for infrastructure, including expansion and modernization at U.S. ports. The bill would also give $110 million to Operation Stonegarden, a long-running program to help local law enforcement pay overtime for police officers. And, provide grants to extend or improve communications along the border, including allowing CBP access to the local LTE network.

The bill also works to stem the backlog at U.S. immigration courts—now at more than 600 days—and hire more judges, as well as attorneys for the Board of Immigration Appeals.

Lastly, the bill sought to extend DHS's Frontera Sur program into the "northern triangle," allowing DHS, DEA, and Justice officials to work in Central America and stem the tide of new immigrants.

All of this, in exchange for making DACA a permanent law.

Trump rejected the bill immediately. Despite all his previous statements to the contrary.

17. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

Perhaps they just want Trump to keep his campaign promise and get Mexico to pay for the wall instead of fleecing American tax payers?

18. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

You have it backwards. This is Trump threatening to shut down the government over immigration. Congress is currently talking about a funding bill that includes just an extension to DACA, not a long-term fix. Trump is saying he won't accept a bill that doesn't go further in limiting immigration and increasing deportation authority.

19. 0007776 Suspended

Considering the Republicans have failed to follow through with the promises they made to end the last shutdown the Democrats need to force another one. If they turn over and give the GOP everything they want then in November I’m voting for any third party candidate that is contesting a seat. If the Democrats aren’t going to put up any opposition to the GOP agenda then they are just as bad as the GOP.

20. zin macrumors 6502

Donald Trump has compromised substantially on his immigration offer. To the extent that I would say if he signed it he’d have broken a promise, big league. Perhaps irreparably.

They’re still not on board. They are not serious about it. They are obstructionists 100%. Sad.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

That's one perspective. As you can see from this thread - there's others.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Didn't he offer to legalize 3 times as many dreamers and offer a pathway to citizenship? WTF reason is there to shut it down, he gave the democrats more then they asked for.

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Perhaps because he attached it to things the Dems don't want it attached to?

Put another way. Little Johnny wants a scoop of ice cream. Daddy offers three scoops of ice cream but also insists you also eat broccoli covered in hot sauce with a side order of sardines. (No, people are not scoops of ice cream and yes, I am being over dramatic with the palatability of the other part of the deal).

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Ok but isn't that what compromise is? One side gets something and the other side gets something. Maybe we're so locked in to one side MUST get what they want while the other takes it up the ass that we forgot how compromise works?

25. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I don't disagree. Both sides need to come together despite Trump. Trump doesn't care about compromise. Sorry - I don't buy it. He only cares about wins. Congress too. But the President should be working to bring Congress together - not lashing out against any one party when trying to negotiate.