Trump interview with News Reporter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Nov 7, 2018.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I am surprised he still has his job

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Good Lord. What a horrible human being trump is. My g/f told me she had seen Trump's outburst on TV. (I personally go out of my way to avoid listening to Trump speak.)

There is something deeply psychologically wrong with that man. At best a severe personality disorder.

I keep thinking of Ronald Reagan. Who probably had his own share of critics among the Washington Press Corps. And who privately probably found a few that irritated him or believed treated him unfairly. But you never saw that sort of behavior from Reagan. If he didn't want to answer a question, he'd make a joke and duck the question. Laugh it off.

Reagan knew how to work a room. He could work a room full of Congressmen. He could work a room full of reporters. He could (famously) work a room full of trauma surgeons and nurses. And he certainly knew how to talk to reporters so as to get them, if not exactly on his side, then at least amenable to his point of view.

Most other Presidents in my lifetime had the same skill, to a greater or lesser degree. I remember Barack Obama sparring with people from Fox News. And while I'm sure he often found the questions irrelevant or insulting, he never lost his cool. Obama (like Reagan) knew that by smiling when he ducked a reporter's question he'd probably diffused 90% of the downside.

A President who can't keep his cool answering a simple question from Jim Acosta is a menace to the safety and security of the entire planet. Thank God we have a professional military to keep his worst instincts in check. But who knows how well that might work if a real crisis ever came to pass.

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

A Pentagon spokesperson announced today that what Trump called Operation Faithful Patriot during the run-up to the end of the midterm campaign is now just called "border support" and is overseen by DHS, and that "We have nothing further on that at this time."

Not that Trump's deployment of troops to our southern border was ever just a political operation or anything like that, of course. The Pentagon is not stupid enough to suggest such a thing, so one may draw one's own conclusion about the timing. The Wall Street Journal apparently reported that Mattis had actually put out the renaming directive on Election Day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...name-controversial-military-border-deployment

6. stylinexpat, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Trump’s opinions quite often differ a lot from most people. Not only do his opinions differ but his methods of speaking about them do as well.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 ---
    Could it possibly become any more pathetic ??
    This is BS if you ask me..

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/07/cnn-jim-acosta-reporter-credentials-revoked

She actually put her hand on him!

https://twitter.com/WatchdogDiva/status/1060348809958580225?s=20

B8935D11-FE36-42EA-836A-CB16DF428820.jpeg

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Here we go. Il Douche has suspended Jim Acosta’s press credentials, citing Acosta’s “handling” of a White House staffer. (Surprise: it’s a lie.)

This is what worries me. He’s taking revenge on the media, and his lies are becoming more brazen.

8. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

If you watch very carefully you will see that actually she put her hand on his hand. Trump is taking revenge against him. That’s messed up.

9. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

And now the White House is suspending Acosta’s pass. All for asking questions the president didn’t like.

Hope all the news networks put out their own statement condemning this.

10. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

It is showing it (political climate) is reaching intolerable point on BOTH sides, which is very sad. I could see violences flaring up soon.

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

They are revoking Acosta's pass now.

What a lame admin. Really trying to control the narrative. Acosta should have shut up after about the 30 second mark. I don't blame them for pressing, but at some point you have to know when to see the President is a cut above you in terms of order in the White House. But still... Trump looks like Benjamin Button, needled coddled and more attention with each day.

12. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Some people have a lot of Money and a lot of power but you would never know it or feel it while others get on a power trip to show others who is the boss and whom is in charge. In the event of any war between America and some other country I don’t see Trump as being a responsible Person or President who would not push that red button on some power trip to show whom is in charge. Europe is already out to send Trump a message that neither he or the US is the world Policeman

13. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

No, Acosta has to press. He has to take the lumps. Otherwise we are back to when we called out the press for NOT pressing the Bush administration for not pushing when they led us into war based on lies. What I would hope for is that other news organizations support Acosta.

This maybe what finally forces news organizations to take a new approach to covering 45.

14. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

I wouldn't hold my breath. The press has been punked by DJT and his deplorables. Well before this despicable behavior today they had opportunities to push back against this administration. After nearly two years their time is up.

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I don't see violence. I see a President acting like a jerk, out of pique there wasn't a sweep for the GOP at the midterm polls, which of course would have been an unrealistic expectation to begin with, and one his aides doubtless debunked for him in the run-up, since the House was widely expected to fall to the Democrats.

When was the last time before today that you saw a President of the USA publicly shaming moderate members of his own nominal party who because they served in purple districts were doubtless given leeway by the RNC to try to establish some distance from the administration --including the President-- on various local issues if doing so might save the seat for the party.

Never, that's when. It's a standing procedure in run-ups to key legislative amendments, sometimes even on final votes, and certainly during campaigns, for moderates in mixed districts to run their races on policy issues as they see fit. They're who do the legwork in the district, they're who know which issues the residents feel strongly about one way or another.

Purple districts are a reality. If you're a GOP congress critter and serving in one, then you might have to step away on the campaign trail from this or that particular policy of the administration. Your constituents no matter their political party may respect you for your bipartisan work on this or that regional issue, and as long as you don't rub a loathed GOP policy in the faces of your Dem-leaning constituents, they might either stay home or cast a blank ballot for the seat or even vote across party lines for your re-election.

It happens. It's why purple districts are unpredictable, and it's why it takes some leeway from the party honchos to keep a seat in the fold sometimes.

The deal is the representative can play it how he needs to as long as on key legislative issues when the leader says everybody jump, everybody including the moderates says ok boss, how high. This is how it works, has always worked, in mixed-reggie districts.

The point is, surely Trump had all this explained to him. And predictably, he doesn't give a damn. These guys all danced on eggs during their campaign trying to save their Congessional seat for the Republican party, which is Trump's party. And they happened to lose. And, their reward for even making the effort was to be called out by name and castigated for "rejecting the embrace" of Donald Trump.

It was never about them or GOP prospects. It's about him. He felt insulted.

Go figure. Trump voters should be aware that this was a stupid move on Trump's part today, but somehow I doubt that. They probably think it's great Trump is essentially drumming moderates out of the party.

The problem is, it takes moderates to hold a purple district in either red or blue status. When you treat them like pariahs, you end up in the long run handing the district to an opposition candidate who realizes the district wants bipartisan efforts on local or regional issues, and so may step away from the administration on this or that particular issue.

The congressional liaison dudes and state party chairmen generally handle stuff like this with individual representatives and the White House so everyone's on the same page about who campaigns with whom about what. But, Trump doesn't care about any of that and apparently, --and ironically-- neither do his followers, even though the party whose politics they vote for eventually suffers behind Trump's capers like this public shaming.

16. A.Goldberg, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Trumps handling of the situation is quite atrocious. Saying Jim Acosta “rude and terrible person” is laughable coming from Trump. And then he attacks the NBC reporter seemingly as collateral damage. This certainly is not behavior to be acceptable by the POTUS.

That said, Jim Acosta should have handed over the mic when Trump clearly signaled multiple times his time was up. The way I see it, the aid attempted to take back the microphone- debatably an acceptable action and Acosta inappropriately put his hand on her. This is after he blocker her from taking back the microphone several times. Acosta should have stopped his questioning when told (especially considering he completely changed topic jumping from immigrantion to the Russia investigation) and given up the microphone like any respectful person. Even if grabbing the microphone is -away is considered inappropriate, putting his hand on the woman and pushing her away like that should not be tolerated. If someone touched my girlfriend like that I would not be happy. A microphone is an object, another human is not. If he was going to not give up the mic he should have just pulled it away, not push her away.

All that said, I’m not sure Acosta putting his hands on the woman were explicitly intentional. I suspect it was more of a reflexive action initially, but the stare down he gave immediately afterwards doesn’t give make me feel better.

Personally, I’d like to see Acosta apologize for his behavior. Trump should as well, but I doubt we’lll see that happen.

17. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Here is the video again for everyone to watch. Do you see her first putting her hand on him or him putting his hand on her? Whom came up to whom? Then did he raise his hand to keep her away as a reflexive action or did he push her away?

18. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

All this agita caused by Acosta not relinquishing a mic. I don't know what's more laughable: DJT calling someone rude or people buying the WH's lies about Acosta putting his hands on this poor little staffer. She was being extra and was lucky that Acosta didn't push her after she became physical with him.

19. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

There was no violence.. at worst, he moved the mic away from her as she was reaching for it and simultaneously said, "pardon me ma'am" or something of that sort. If anything she should be removed when she became aggressive towards him.

20. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Boo hoo.

Act like a professional and be treated like one.

Act like a combative and surly little child and get benched until further notice.

Guess Trump should have just kicked him out just like Obama did.

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Are we discussing media coverage of an event in which Trump starred? Yes? then mission accomplished and be damned, that's how Trump sees it.

Mind you the potential spinoffs look positive to Trump though: people buzzing about should Acosta have said sorry and given up the mic? Should the little chick have gone all ballistic and grabbed the mic and run off with it? Should Trump defend the honor of the chick and the White House itself from depredations of the press, the Enemy of the People, and revoke Acosta's pass?

Will Fox News cover this and show touching shots of a shocked President of a nation trying to console a nation bereft of unity after mixed results of a midterm election while some uncouth beast paws at a delicate maiden of the White House staff?!?!? Yes? Nice makeup job considering he was up really late, right? They do makeup right because well they better do it right, right?

Stay tuned for the next Fox and Friends and this will be sorted for you.

This is probably going to get much worse after January, if you can believe it.

This will be the era of Trump trying seriously to get free of the godblasted free and independent White House Correspondents Association forever, since even this SCOTUS is unlikely to reinterpret the pretty plain text of our First Amendment.

He's got Fox in a tight loop for state TV prospects in the future...

So now it's time to get real about booting these PITA indies, because with the Dems back in power and Mueller free of any "oh it's almost election time" constraints for awhile, the indie pressmen are going to have to become "insufferable lefty mouthpieces not worth having in here at all" if I read Trump's tea leaves correctly.

He has only a few weeks really to get the reporters gone or otherwise discredited. Saying he's having to deal with some media brute laying hands on an innocent White House aide sounds almost reasonable, right? Sweep those uncouth bastards out of the pristine space of good clean government! Ship Mueller out as well for good measure. Fresh start in January!

He forgets the Dems just won the House and never met any network or cable camera they don't love just as much as he loves Fox. Big tent, Donnie. Big tent is always the kicker you keep running into. The Dems own it and their viewers and voters as well.

Someday he'll realize he hijacked the wrong political party. :D That should be a hissy fit worth paying to watch.

22. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

I love it when Trump steps from behind the podium and Acosta drops the mic in .03 seconds and sits down real fast.

Like a 5 year old that knows they messed up and Daddy just stood up.

23. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Acosta seems to be holding onto the microphone the entire time.

24. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

This POTUS has encouraged violence against journalists. "I'd like to punch him in the face" he's been quoted about journalists.

Wanna-be despots just following the playbook.

25. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

How dare she try to do her job and take the mic in order to pass it on to the next reporter after her boss said Jimbo was done.