Trump invites Duterte to the White House

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Apr 30, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Ok, yeah, this makes my skin crawl. Donald Trump yesterday invited Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte to come to the White House. I've gotta wonder why Trump ever soured on Assad, if he's actually inviting mass-murderers like Duterte to have lunch with him.

But mainly, I just find myself revolted that a man like Duterte is going to be given the red carpet treatment at one of the most iconic sites in the United States. :(

FYI, here's a link to the Politico article on the subject:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...-president-rodrigo-duterte-white-house-237797

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

3. Populism, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I wish Trump spent more time on non-cisgender issues.

The EDIT feature failed - or more likely my ability to type failed – but my original question was how long the OP has been following this sinister character, before stumbling on this article today.

If he cares to respond

4. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

Be prepared for a doctoral dissertation over his following him since birth.

Actually I'm surprised Duterte came given his outspokenness of the US.

5. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I generally haven't followed anything about the Philippines, at least until Duterte was elected. I haven't really had any reason to.

But yeah, when news articles have the words "DEATH SQUADS" plastered all over them, I do take a look. So yeah, I learned about the guy some time back. I can't recall the first time I heard about him, but I do remember his being elected president last year was kinda shocking. As was his continued support of "extra-legal" summary executions of anyone involved in the drug trade. And yeah, he made the news again by publicly insulting Obama, and again by threatening war against China, so his name has popped up in front of me over and over again lately.

So yeah, so far as I know, he's a murderous scumbag dictatorial leader.

But I didn't have to "stumble" across the Politico article. I generally browse the headlines on Google News, and once again, Duterte's name was right up there as one of the hottest topics of the day...

6. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

If you are moth-attracted to "death squads", then you may want to take a look what the internets has on "death panel" soundbites.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Wow. I can't express how wrong I think it is to invite this guy to the White House. I think it's important for all countries to have open dialogue, but I don't think it's necessary to bring this tyrant into our country. Bringing him into the White House legitimizes his leadership as a tyrant.

I suppose if Trump invites him over and blasts him for his inhumane practices, then that's okay (but highly unprofessional). I'm sure that won't be the case.

Working in mental health I deal a lot with drug addicts. Addiction is a mental health disorder and about 70% occurs concurrently with other mental health disorders. It's horrible to think of all of my patients being put to death because of their addictions.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Birds of a feather.

I'll bet that trump envies the ability Duterte has to exercise his deadly authoritarianism.

If only trump had such freedom ... he could surely make America great again.

9. Zenithal Suspended

10. jerwin macrumors 65816

Apparently, Trump admires a thug who's ready to kill nine year old kids.
    https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...f-criminal-responsibility-to-9-years-old.html

11. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Maybe Duterte and Spicer can take the opportunity to compare notes on their Hitler analogies.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Donald Trump invites a mass murderer to the White House.

This will not end well.

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

15. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

obama flew the AF1 to la habana to kiss the arse of a much worse mass murderer/dictator.

trump is fine.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Perhaps Duterte has said that he likes Trump. And Trump no doubt thinks that despite his crimes, Duterte is a very smart cookie.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, perhaps Mr. Art-of-the-Deal can heal US-Philippines relations and get Duterte to stop killing squads murdering people in the streets. On the other hand, I worry about the ideas that Duterte might give Trump. After all, if Trump is foolish enough to admire Putin....

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Do you think the **** gibbon Trump has the slightest interest whatsoever about Duterte's death squads killing people in the streets of the Philippines?

Do you think the sort of people who voted for Donald Trump give a two-penny jizz about random people being murdered in some island in the far-off Pacific Ocean?

They don't. They are simply terrible people. All of them. God just ****ed up when he allowed people like Donald Trump and his supporters to exist.

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

That was a bit over the top don't you think..

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Easy hoss - I was being sarcastic. ;) I can only hope that some forms of social self-inflicted harm (Trump, Brexit, Erdogan, Putin, Duterte) will be self-limiting and eventually the system will adjust to something better.

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I guess next he'll invite Erdogan over. For a change I hope he takes them to his FL hotel so the White House doesn't get sullied.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Perhaps - but the President speaks in full out hyperbole, so....

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The guy is literally having thousands slaughtered in summary executions. Do we really think the tone of posters commenting on that, rather than the "oh well, that's just Trump" responses from his followers is the problem?

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I am not for putting drug users to death. Drug dealers are another story...
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2017 ---
    Wasn't the White House already been sullied by every other piece of **** president who has plotted, lied, ordered unjust killings, raped interns, etc. while in the White House? I don't think there is enough bleach on earth to wipe that place clean.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Horrible mistake by Trump and something I will keep in mind in 2020. Unless there is something behind the scenes - which I highly doubt - this is an intolerable blunder by the administration. Trump has to understand the value of a White House visit from the eyes of the visitors. Now Duerte will be empowered even more, and American interests won't.
    Again, hopefully there is something behind what we see that we don't know about, but I am skeptic about it. I could understand opening diplomatic channels of any kind, even going for aggressive back channel activity, but this is a big no no.