Trump is everything Republicans said Obama was

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

100% correct. I’ve always said Trump and Obama are like two sides of the same coin. It makes me sick to my stomach when Republicans defend Trump over things they’d be losing their minds over if Obama (or Clinton) had done them. Yes I know hypocrisy happens on both sides but I was a Republican and am a Conservative because I don’t want to be like Democrats and the Left. Unfortunately Republicans have decided if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ing-republicans-said-obama-was/?noredirect=on

When it comes to foreign affairs — when it comes to everything, really — Trump is weighed down by inexperience, bedeviled by vanity and hobbled by impulsiveness. He’s a celebrity playing at president.

He’s everything, in other words, that Republicans feared Obama would be.

Going all the way back to the 2008 presidential race, Republicans were certain that Obama would be more attuned to the needs of America’s worst enemies than willing to discuss the shared interests of America’s best friends; this captures the destructive arc of Trump’s actions from last week’s Group of Seven meeting in Quebec to the spectacle in Singapore.

2. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

They said Obama acted like a king and was full of himself, too.

3. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Interesting article. Think the Rep's have it wrong both times.

My impression of each - and yes I voted for both.
    Obama - a lot of potential / opportunity thoroughly wasted
    Trump - a lot of potential / opportunity if would just stop messing with the landmines

4. IWantItThatWay Suspended

They wrote this article after the North Korean summit? They're a lot braver than I thought.

5. hulugu, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The North Korea summit indicates the vast problem with Trump's followers. They only care about style, and not the substance.

The U.S. got nothing but an easily broken promise, but North Korea got the diplomatic coup they've been seeking for a decade.

Yes, this deal might lead somewhere, and maybe Trump's the guy to make a deal. But, history tells us that Trump will botch it, the Koreans will cheat, and we'll be back to saberrattling inside of the year.

Ultimately, this whole episode shows the hackiness of the GOP's own echo-sphere. They complained incessantly about Obama wanting to meet with dictators, and now their preferred candidate got into a pissing match with the rest of the G7, and met with the man who has people killed with anti-aircraft guns and flame-throwers, without preconditions.

But, the great mess of Trump's supporters don't care because any criticism of the Dear Leader falls on deaf ears.

6. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Seems appropriate: 1994 NK deal (Clinton) and Iran deal 2015 (Obama). Both more concise and demanding deals, but eviscerated by the Right. New one is so vague as to be functionally useless, but different guy signing.

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Agree.

Decades back party partisanship was creeping in and it grew with each election.
    Now we have a party that is accepting grievous insults in the hope of a few grapes (Justice and 1 major bill).

I hope (but am afraid will not happen) that when it flips (it will), the Democrat in power will work to build bridges in congress.
    Then again, the damage may be so great no one will be willing to accept the fix.

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

There is no peace by finding common ground with a party completely unhinged from reality. Even in its diminishing power, every year we (America) continue the total failures of the reality of climate change COMBINED with a rising global oligarchy adds to the millions (billions with rising oceans) of lives that are going to be destroyed in the later decades through the downright villainous positions the GOP now hold in their party’s mainstream.

The Dems are bad enough in their pussyfooting around the situation, but the GOP has outright shut out reality ten years ago and their policies are getting more craven with each passing year.

To compromise and find common ground with such insanity is to be complicit in it. In 50 years time we’re going to be more than angry that this eras politics steadfastly refuses to change course from a fate that will be unlike anything any living generation has seen. Literally every ecological life system on the planet is showing signs of massive distress.

10. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I don’t see any reason for the Democrats to build bridges in Congress (assuming of course that things flip). Imagine during the first briefing the press secretary tells Fox News to get their gold bricking, fake news peddling asses out. I’d bet that a sizable minority of their electorate would applaud the move.

11. Zenithal macrumors G3

He's orange, that's all some care about.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2018 ---
    We didn't when Trump was elected either. We didn't for a long time. Our own intelligence agencies, alongside foreign ones, missed the mark when it came to North Korea managing to build a weapon that actually works. I hesitate saying they built it because IMHO they got help from some of our allies or so-called enemies.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's amazing to see it summed up so perfectly. Yep, that's fundamentally the problem. And, maybe Kim Jong-un is so crazy that sending in a clutch of reality TV show stars is the right strategy—Dennis Rodman, a star basketball player turned Madonna tchotchke, and Richie Rich's sexually predatory little brother.

But, I suspect that Trump got rolled like a gas station hot dog, and while he yammers on about #winning, the North Koreans are quietly seeking an advantage with China and Iran.

13. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

All Trump got was promises, and then he comes back to the US and declares mission accomplished. No longer a nuclear threat. PR, nothing more. And for his followers thats all they need. Are his supporters really that naive, and short sighted?

I give him credit for being able to meet with NK, but that was all he did. He took a meeting and provided a photo op. Gave legitimacy to a dictator wanting to be recognised, promised lots of concessions, but nothing else has changed. Go figure.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

They manage to be both.

Right. Real diplomacy requires months, if not years, of shuttle meetings between low-level diplomats with a framework of an agreement established before the big boys roll in for the signing ceremony. And, then it takes years more to really set the structure and make sure no one is cheating. For instance, compare Reagan's negotiations in Iceland with the Russians to this bag of salami.

But, I suspect that the #MAGA crowd are all dreaming of Trump's Nobel prize ceremony and excusing themselves to their bunks.

15. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

It amazes me. He had one meeting with a reclusive dictator, and the MAGA crowd are ready for the parade and awards ceremony. Like I said in another post, when this deal turns out like all the past deals with NK, Trump will blame it on the media and democrats.

And as I also said in another post, if he gets the job done and NK is disarmed I will be the first to congratulate him. I really think politics gets in the way of progress way too often.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

He's completely incapable of taking responsibility for anything. He tweeted that before he took office people were worried that the U.S. and North Korea seemed at the brink of war, conveniently forgetting that his "fire and fury" yammering was largely why people were worried.

And, you're right. When North Korea inevitably cheats, it will be someone else's fault, i.e. "No one knew the North Koreans cheated."

If North Korea's nuclear ambitions end, and the country begins to open up, I'll send the White House a congratulations card. But, I think I'll hold off going to the Hallmark store.

17. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

That matters why?

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Try that again....
    NK was doing successful sub launches in 2012 followed by land based.
    NK was doing nuke testing in 2006
    This mess (ICBM) started before DT was in office.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep, North Korea has been playing with nukes since Clinton, which is why this week's summit should give us all pause.

20. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

We as a Government have tried the same thing regarding NK over and over again. While this attempt by DT may fail, it is something different and has the potential to succeed.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2018 ---
    Yep. Clinton and beyond should have tried much harder. They let it slide far too long. IMO

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, they had a deal of a kind, and then the Bush administration blew it up.

22. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Lol 2 weeks ago I was told this wasn't even going to happen and that Trump had nothing to do with NK and SK talking with each other.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

LOL.

Two weeks ago, there were clear signs that the summit might fall apart. It came together, but don't act like you knew this onside kick was going to give Trump 10 yards.

As for North Korea and South Korea, stop paying attention to the Dear Orange Leader, and pay attention to Japan, China, and South Korea. They're working the deals and making sure this thing works, in many ways in spite of Trump.

24. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Only in your mind, my friend. The same one that says the U.S. got "nothing out of it."

In REALITY, nothing that you have said about the North Korean summit has been true. I think this summit may have caused anti-Trumpers to take more Ls than the GOP primaries and 2016 election did.