Trump is getting sworn in tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macmee, Jan 19, 2017.

1. macmee, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2017

macmee Suspended

macmee

[​IMG]

Today is the last day the United States will have a qualified President in command. It's a shame the US has such a totally garbage electoral system, so many deplorable people in it and that both major parties ran such trash candidates....

SAD!

2. samcraig macrumors P6

There will be plenty of swearing tomorrow.

Also - tomorrow is proof that time travel is not possible.

Obama should let Biden be President tonight to F* with all of Trump's merchandise

It's expected to rain tomorrow in DC. Trump's tweet will read, "Fake weather. Clouds are rigged. Apologize!"

There... I think those are my posts from this thread :)

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Your people? Canadians? Don't you have something to be apologizing aboot?

4. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Yeah I'm sorry you guys elected such a bad president in 2016. I am genuinely happy that Canada doesn't have as bad a system as yours.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yep, your head of state is chosen at birth. Much better system.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

[​IMG]
    Que again?

7. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Yes and she executes no real power, which even a 5 year old knows btw.

And our Prime Minister is elected in a short election measured in weeks with very little outside lobbying, corruption, or arcane 250 year old rules, interfering with it :)

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Your prime minister is not elected. The prime minister of Canada is appointed in the name of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

9. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

[​IMG]

très bon!

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Any chance you're interested in adopting a married young couple? My wife is an occupational therapist, so she can be very useful. I'm an attorney, so I guess I can make myself useful cleaning toilets or something.

11. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/11/29/canada-better-than-us-in-2016-freedom-index

Canada rates higher than the US in the freedom index, so I hope that the fact that we have (and adore) the royal family triggers you down to the core!

Also, please don't tell me you actually think that's how it works, and that you think our elections don't matter or something? I only ask because I know a lot of Americans don't even know how their own system works (heck, it is a weird system), so it wouldn't surprise me that you wouldn't know how parliamentary systems work, especially a constitutional monarchy such as Canada.

The monarchy is purely a decorative role that we carry on to this day, for the same reasons as the UK, just for historical and cultural purposes. The roles the monarch holds in government are only traditional. The monarch is not capable of denying a legitimate government their right to form because they'd just be ignored, same as in the UK.....
    --- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2017 ---
    I am willing to negotiate a price but you will have to pay a little extra because the Canadian deal comes with free health care guaranteed for life :)

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Here's my offer: I promise to never ever say a single bad thing about the Canadiens ever again. As a Bostonian, I'm sure you understand that is worth more than any amount of money to me.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I don't care about no index.

You don't elect the head of state.
    You don't elect the Prime Minister.
    Your country has a population of 35M people (just a bit more than Texas alone)
    Your country has a GDP of $1.8T (just 0.5T more than Texas alone).

We elect the head of state (and executive).
    Our country has a population of 319M people
    Our country has a GDP of $18T

So coming here comparing your system to a system that has to handle 46 independent republics and 4 independent Commonwealths with ~10x more the population of Canada and ~10x more the GDP of Canada is silly to say the least.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What Canada needs....
    [​IMG]

vs

What Canada ends up with...

[​IMG]

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've got a three doors down concert to watch tomorrow...

16. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

In Canada you can become PM with even less of the popular vote and the PM of Canada has way more power than the POTUS. In fact, I could become PM today, you don't even have to be an MP and no election is required.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

We don't elect our head of state and executive either. If we did, we wouldn't have Trump.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You do, albeit indirectly. You entrust your state to vote for your state and no one else can be chosen (unless something goes incredibly awry).
    In Canada PArliament can chose a random citizen, as long as he has an approval by parliament. The Canadian Governor decides who is "selectable" by the Parliament as Prime Minister. There is nada citizen input.

19. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Should be fun to watch Liberals set their hair on fire, and scream about the sky falling, for the next 4 wonderful years.

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It's really not so different. The Canadians vote for Governor and for Parliament, thereby the citizens have indirect input. In the US, our input is a tad more direct, but still very indirect as it passes through an overly-complex winner-takes-all electoral college system first, and then through congress.

3.9million people in California voted for Trump - their votes counted for zero. 2.2million people in Michigan voted for Clinton - their votes counted for zero. Our system is not any more direct than the Canadian one.

21. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Because direct Democracy is two wolves and a sheep, voting over what to have for dinner.

22. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Do you not understand how a constitutional monarchy works? The queen is the head of state, sure, but she holds no actual power. We have an elected house of commons and a Prime Minister and they hold the actual power. The queen is a cherished figure in Canada but in terms of power she is probably comparable to your First Lady, but even then the FLOTUS has more power than the queen really does in Canada or the UK

Well we vote for the party if that's what you mean, but I don't know what you mean by "you don't elect the prime minister" because you certainly do elect him or her when you choose to vote for their party......

This is supposed to be bad? Uh.... okay?

And we have a GDP per capita of 52,000 USD and have guaranteed health care, not to mention practically unlimited natural resources; do you want to continue?

We elect our Prime Minister by voting for their party, who is the de facto head of state considering how his office interacts with the GGs, whereas you always end up in scenarios where your President somehow got less votes than their competitor.

I'm not sure why this matters lol?

Yes with the same GDP per capita as Canada except you don't have guaranteed health care amongst other issues.

Ah I see why you were citing populations (I think?). Yes I think many Canadians are happy that Canada has a smaller population, after seeing how poorly managed the United States is, and how your system buckles under tremendous scale.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Absolutely not. In Canada - an many European countries - citizens have no input. They vote for a coalition and/or a party. The party chooses the person. Obviously for electoral reason they usually tell you their preference, but it's not set in stone and the parliament can chose whoever it wants. The executive, therefore, is a dependent of the legislative. In the US we do have the electoral college, but their only job is to tell who the state wants. Although it is indirect, it is 100% based on citizens input. Now, we can discuss about making it better, etc. but it's a totally different world than Canada.

24. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

All I see here is a true Canadian hero and a young popular prime minister thats hot as hell who is thankfully also not donald trump

25. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It's not 100% based on citizens input. As I said, 3.8million people in your state of Texas voted for Clinton, yet they had absolutely zero input on who the president would be. Their votes counted for nothing because all 38 electoral votes go to whoever gets the most votes rather than being distributed proportionally. Those 3.8million Texans are completely unrepresented in the presidential election. This is not 100% citizen input as you imagine it to be. It's a convoluted indirect system that puts a huge barrier between the people and the elected official.

In Canada they have a different system with different barriers between the people and the elected officials. I'm not saying they have it better. But let's not pretend we're so much better.