Trump is now the first sitting President to ever step foot into North Korea

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Here is the actual video. He seems quite fond of that guy. He has killed many though

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Great work by President Donald Trump!! :D
Where do you think, best case, that this is going to end up?

Do you think that North Korea is going to agree to give up all its nuclear materials, and permit years of international inspections to ensure they don't create, test, or possess nuclear weapons?

Because that was the deal the Obama Administration made with Iran.

Do you think that Donald Trump, or even the most highly-skilled team of US and international diplomats, is going to get North Korea to agree to that sort of deal?

Because I don't.

Donald Trump has already given Kim Jong-Un the most valuable propaganda possible. Kim can now tell his own people that the mighty imperialist Americans have come begging for peace from the Great Leader.

What do you think Kim is going to give up in return, having already gotten the only thing America has that he wants?

Strider64

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit

Do you think that North Korea is going to agree to give up all its nuclear materials, and permit years of international inspections to ensure they don't create, test, or possess nuclear weapons?

Do you think that Donald Trump, or even the most highly-skilled team of US and international diplomats, is going to get North Korea to agree to that sort of deal?

Because I don't.

Donald Trump has already given Kim Jong-Un the most valuable propaganda possible. Kim can now tell his own people that the mighty imperialist Americans have come begging for peace from the Great Leader.

What do you think Kim is going to give up in return, having already gotten the only thing America has that he wants?
I personally think China is pushing Kim behind the scenes, by that I mean they are basically telling Kim to knock it off with the warmongering. I know Kim is a ruthless dictator, but I think China is the big brother to North Korea and they don't want to see trade with the U.S. stifled. Just my opinion.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I personally think China is pushing Kim behind the scenes, by that I mean they are basically telling Kim to knock it off with the warmongering. I know Kim is a ruthless dictator, but I think China is the big brother to North Korea and they don't want to see trade with the U.S. stifled. Just my opinion.
Pretty much. Kim can't afford to lose China.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2011
Germany
I personally think China is pushing Kim behind the scenes, by that I mean they are basically telling Kim to knock it off with the warmongering.
It's cyclic. "Peace part" of the current cycle is a bit longer than those before doesn't mean it won't take it's turn back to throwing missiles over Japan if Kim doesn't get his way.

Reactions: JayMysterio

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
That smile on Kim’s face.... something tells me, we wouldn’t be here if Hilda was President.
Kim might have been assassinated by now, if she was POTUS.

Over the past 2 decades.
Dems have been good at picking specific people off.
While Reps have been good at starting never ending wars.

dogslobber

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
That smile on Kim’s face...
This. The propaganda value is immeasurable from the for Chairman Kim. Three times he’s met Trump and three times he done it on his terms, with his agenda, and won the media battle.

You’ve got to wonder about how the office of the presidency is being abused and defaced by the temporary occupant. In some parallel universe this all never happened.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
If Hillary had won, she would have sent some "elder statesman" (Kerry or Biden would have been obvious picks) over as special envoy and you would be frothing on how she were to soft on NK......
And this is what annoys me the most in politics is the big steaming pile of hypocrisy. Republicans hated the fact Obama was negotiating with Iran( before any deal was announced). But now love the fact Trump is negotiating with North Korea.

Look I seriously hope that we can get a deal out of this. I don’t care who the President that accomplishes it. But I can’t stand the people who are rooting for this now simply because someone they support is the one is doing the negotiating. We damn well know where they would stand if it was a Democrat doing the same thing.

EDIT: Of course the people hating this simply because it is Trump, but supported the Iranian talks are just as bad.

Last edited:

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
Great work by President Donald Trump!! :D
So, between this circus and his obsequious interactions with MBS and Putin, he’s hit the trifecta of murderous dictator ass kissing on this trip. What a huge embarrassment to this country.
[doublepost=1561901830][/doublepost]
That smile on Kim’s face.... something tells me, we wouldn’t be here if Hilda was President.
No, we would not. She wouldn’t have been so naive as to legitimize Kim like this.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
go figure, Trump gets this ball rolling with a tweet 2 days ago... they hate that Trump is on twitter.

If NK and Iran give up their nuclear weapons over the next 4 years... 2024 becomes difficult for Democrats.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
go figure, Trump gets this ball rolling with a tweet 2 days ago... they hate that Trump is on twitter.

If NK and Iran give up their nuclear weapons over the next 4 years... 2024 becomes difficult for Democrats.
NK haven't done anything different than they have before other than having lots of nice photo-ops with the golden moron.

Reactions: JayMysterio

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC

Photo ops with murderers are not accomplishments. He’s had three now with Kim and they have done absolutely nothing other than burnishing Kim’s standing in the world.

As for Iran, Obama got them to agree to halt their production of nuclear weapons, but we’re supposed to just ignore that, I guess.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
There is nothing defensible here. It’s a photo op for both men.

But this is how it plays on Fox News. Apparently Tucker Carlson was with Trump when he met Kim.
https://twitter.com/lispower1/status/1145320896300814336?s=21
His point is good one. The US does business with a lot of crummy people and nations( aka Saudi Arabia), so it's not worth pretending we only associate with "good guys".

But holy crap that delivery of that point was bad..... In order to lead a country, it means killing your own people?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
This. The propaganda value is immeasurable from the for Chairman Kim. Three times he’s met Trump and three times he done it on his terms, with his agenda, and won the media battle.

You’ve got to wonder about how the office of the presidency is being abused and defaced by the temporary occupant. In some parallel universe this all never happened.
The level of ignorance in this post is extreme. It lacks the knowledge that Xi met with Kim in his first NK’s visit and basically worked as a guarantor for both the US and NK, it lacks the understanding that each and every move is coordinated with South Korea (which was present at the meeting, as Moon said that this was a very good event), and it lacks the fundamental knowledge of the point that Kim is actually trying to change the doomed course of his regime and country.
[doublepost=1561905756][/doublepost]

Because I don't.

NK doesn’t want nukes, but it needs them now to preserve its regime. Once NK is reassured from China and the US that the regime can continue without nukes, they will open the country. Kim is not an idiot and he knows that his country can’t really keep going forward like it is. His fear is to end up like Mubarak or Ghaddafi.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
His point is good one. The US does business with a lot of crummy people and nations( aka Saudi Arabia), so it's not worth pretending we only associate with "good guys".

But holy crap that delivery of that point was bad..... In order to lead a country, it means killing your own people?
Who is saying we only associate with good guys? In this case there is absolutely no reason we need to cozy up to Kim. We were not on the verge of war with NK. That’s complete Trumpian BS.
[doublepost=1561906007][/doublepost]
The level of ignorance in this post is extreme. It lacks the knowledge that Xi met with Kim in his first NK’s visit and basically worked as a guarantor for both the US and NK, it lacks the understanding that each and every move is coordinated with South Korea (which was present at the meeting, as Moon said that this was a very good event), and it lacks the fundamental knowledge of the point that Kim is actually trying to change the doomed course of his regime and country.
[doublepost=1561905756][/doublepost]

NK doesn’t want nukes, but it needs them now to preserve its regime. Once NK is reassured from China and the US that the regime can continue without nukes, they will open the country. Kim is not an idiot and he knows that his country can’t really keep going forward like it is. His fear is to end up like Mubarak or Ghaddafi.
Source?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Who is saying we only associate with good guys? In this case there is absolutely no reason we need to cozy up to Kim. We were not on the verge of war with NK. That’s complete Trumpian BS.
Yes there is a specific reason: nukes.
Last thing you want is a nuclear country to be rouge and feel left out of the big boys table.
[doublepost=1561906075][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1561906007][/doublepost]
Source?
Source of what ?

Reactions: Vanilla Ice

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
For the claim that Kim is trying to change course. There’s no evidence of that, other than vague statements with no backup.
1) that’s my analysis.
2) it’s pretty evident by the change of rhetoric.
3) it’s evident by Moon and Xi’s efforts.
4) read Korean papers and NK Pro (at least the free stuff since they are very expensive).
5) if you really want the recent opinion of someone with some credentials: Desperation has led Kim to accept Trump’s last-minute invitation to meet him that he posted on Twitter just a day earlier, Chun Young-woo, a former national security adviser said.
I can see the North’s eager desire to get away from the current (economic) situation but I don’t know if it also indicates that it would like to change its conditions and stance (on the US), Chun said.