Trump is trying to de-legitimize the mid-terms

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Won't work. The last time this many dems turned out was when we had Nixon, a president under intense scrutiny and investigation, who had a strong base who stood by him until the end until it was clear everything alleged about him was true.

Kind of amazing.

You can fool some of the people some of the time....

Reactions: jerwin and samcraig

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
Won't work. The last time this many dems turned out was when we had Nixon, a president under intense scrutiny and investigation, who had a strong base who stood by him until the end until it was clear everything alleged about him was true.
Trump's base is even more loyal.

The Senate and House GOP, like the courts, will also be Trumpier in the future. The congressional Republican dissidents have been winnowed, the best are dead, and the rest, having whiffed when they had actual power, are looking for work. The newbies have generally demonstrated the necessary fealty to the cult leader; and, for good measure, in that ghastly Wednesday press conference, Trump named and shamed those few Republicans who tried to steer clear of him in the campaign and lost. I can’t think of a swifter or more complete takeover of a political party in recent times. It took 16 years for Goldwater’s vision to be actualized by Reagan. It took only two years for Trump to turn the entire GOP into a nationalist cult. And it’s taken root. Whatever way you look at it, that’s quite an accomplishment.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/andrew-sullivan-americas-fever-is-still-rising.html

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
I don't think these Republicans are going to be like the ones in Nixon's era.

Those guys, in the end, had some scruples. These guys will lie right to your face, will lie without shame, and will keep on lying just to gaslight you. They could punch you right in the face in front of a crowd of people, and you'd say, "You hit me!" and they'd say, "No I didn't! Stop trying to make people think I did!"

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
So Trump never fully acknowledged Russian interference in the 2016 election (only to say that it helped Democrats) but he issues tweet after tweet about states following well established rules to confirm the legitimacy of their elections.

Reactions: JayMysterio

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So Trump never fully acknowledged Russian interference in the 2016 election (only to say that it helped Democrats) but he issues tweet after tweet about states following well established rules to confirm the legitimacy of their elections.
Trump keeps calling Mueller's investigation a hoax/witchhunt. He doesn't every clarify that he believes that the part related him he believes is a hoax. He put's the entire investigation in the same bucket. That's why his rhetoric is dangerous. Because he's basically denying that there was any Russia meddling over and over when he calls Mueller's investigation a hoax. And his base doesn't care.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
It’s one thing to be suspicious of what’s happening in in Broward county based on history. But throwing the word fraud out there without evidence is just wrong. Which is probably why Charlie Kirk deleted this tweet. Thank god for screen capture.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Oddly, we keep seeing more ballots "found" in a couple areas like Broward County. Democrat ballots... It does seem to be a bit odd.
Or perhaps the election oversight officials are doing their bloody jobs.

But you know, politics over preserving the sanctity of our electoral process.

And keep in mind that it was your lot grandstanding about this and filing lawsuit after lawsuit to keep Franken from taking his spot in the Senate.

You don't want to go down this road, as that argument will easily be shut down by your side's hypocrisy.

BL.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Or perhaps the election oversight officials are doing their bloody jobs.

But you know, politics over preserving the sanctity of our electoral process.

And keep in mind that it was your lot grandstanding about this and filing lawsuit after lawsuit to keep Franken from taking his spot in the Senate.

You don't want to go down this road, as that argument will easily be shut down by your side's hypocrisy.

BL.
No one is buying this crap going on in Broward County, Florida. How many thousands of Democrat votes has Dr Snipes found since the election?

Reactions: Vanilla Ice

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
The entire notion that there are "found" ballots is just modern Republicanism trying to argue that counting every legal vote is a problem because they believe they're going to lose. If those "found" ballots bend the election toward the Republican candidates, they'll cease their bleating and immediately act like they believed in the system.

It's such obvious gaslighting.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
No one is buying this crap going on in Broward County, Florida. How many thousands of Democrat votes has Dr Snipes found since the election?
Enough, considering that they are doing a recount.

So you can consider it "buying this crap"

Again, doing their jobs while your side rants. But it wasn't the case when your lot did this with Franken, was it?

BL.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The entire notion that there are "found" ballots is just modern Republicanism trying to argue that counting every legal vote is a problem because they believe they're going to lose. If those "found" ballots bend the election toward the Republican candidates, they'll cease their bleating and immediately act like they believed in the system.

It's such obvious gaslighting.
I read that statistically (in FL) early/absentee ballots tend to be liberals. I also read that while thousands of people waited in long lines and experienced tremendous delays, there were tons of unused ballot machines sitting in a warehouse. Now I'm not saying voter suppression. I'm not even suggesting the stories and stats are accurate. What I am saying is that there's nothing criminal or remotely criminal in a recount. And both parties should WELCOME the idea just like both sides should WELCOME any investigation into other countries influencing our election. Election integrity should be important by both parties.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I read that statistically (in FL) early/absentee ballots tend to be liberals. I also read that while thousands of people waited in long lines and experienced tremendous delays, there were tons of unused ballot machines sitting in a warehouse. Now I'm not saying voter suppression. I'm not even suggesting the stories and stats are accurate. What I am saying is that there's nothing criminal or remotely criminal in a recount. And both parties should WELCOME the idea just like both sides should WELCOME any investigation into other countries influencing our election. Election integrity should be important by both parties.
But...but... we're not supposed to be buying this crap! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, Rick Scott is now filing a lawsuit to block the state from counting ballots before the deadline. So much for the Reds not going along and believing in our electoral process... AGAIN.

BL.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
The U.S. president is the head of the Executive branch, which includes the Department of Justice. You would think someone in that position would choose his words carefully. But the dishonest ignoramus currently occupying that office has no problem throwing out the word "fraud" without any evidence and just out of political concern that counting all of the ballots might result in a GOP loss.

Reactions: bradl and samcraig

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
The U.S. president is the head of the Executive branch, which includes the Department of Justice. You would think someone in that position would choose his words carefully. But the dishonest ignoramus currently occupying that office has no problem throwing out the word "fraud" without any evidence and just out of political concern that counting all of the ballots might result in a GOP loss.
What I will say is this.

Apparently, the Reds have never heard of the saying "Those who fail to learn from their history are doomed to repeat it."

If they had, they would have gone to much further lengths to preserve the sanctity of our electoral process and prevent things like this than doubling down on teh st00pid and claiming fraud without any evidence to back it up.

When you look at it, they easily could have avoided this altogether instead of creating an even worse version of lawsuits resulting from the Hanging Chad. They've made Florida an even worse laughing stock than they had back in 2000 with Bush v. Gore.

BL.

Reactions: hulugu

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Supreme Leader wears his mental illness on his sleeve. It’s up to the adults in the room to show this maniac the door or commit him. As of 2016, The GOP decided being an adult was over rated and honesty is for suckers. :oops:

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
You guys are such whiners. I didn't like Obama much, especially after Cash for Clunkers and numerous other stupid decisions, but I didn't wait for every little thing to delegitimize him as the POTUS. He's your president too for the next couple years because of something called term limits so he's hardly 'supreme leader'. Try to think of something constructive to do rather than wear your hopelessness on your sleeve.

Reactions: tshrimp

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
You guys are such whiners. I didn't like Obama much, especially after Cash for Clunkers and numerous other stupid decisions, but I didn't wait for every little thing to delegitimize him as the POTUS. He's your president too for the next couple years because of something called term limits so he's hardly 'supreme leader'. Try to think of something constructive to do rather than wear your hopelessness on your sleeve.
We are talking about Florida. And the Republicans are sore losers and are trying to suppress the vote. That is unacceptable. And everyone on both sides of the aisle should agree with that.