Trump is Undecided on Israel and Doesn't Seem to Care Either Way

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 15, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/netanyahu-trump-praise-235059

“I am looking at two-state, and one-state, and I like the one that both parties like,” Trump said.

“I’m very happy with the one that both parties like,” Trump continued. “I can live with either one. I thought for a while the two-state looked like it may be the easier of the two. But honestly, if Bibi, and if the Palestinians, if Israel and the Palestinians are happy, I’m happy with the one they like the best.”

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

wait I thought he was a expert on what to do?

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So! I've only recently read up on Palestine and Israel, what struck me most was that many hardcore (radical?) Christians want Israel to take it all because it somehow indicates the second coming of Christ. Trump doesn't seem particularly religious, he's already committed a bunch of deadly sins, so perhaps that has something to do with his indifference.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If I read that quote without Trump's name attached to it, I would think Sarah Palin said it.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Right? It's lacking the dump truck of needless adjectives.

Honestly, when was the last time we had a president this intellectually disengaged? Understand that much of W's public persona was an act (he at least understood the structure of government) I can't honestly recall. Reagan perhaps? But that's not fair because the guy thought he was a lampshade by the time he left....

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It was an interesting little news conference. As much as I am a detractor of Trump's I will say he looked most presidential here then he has so far. He actually knows something about the subject for a change. I thought to myself...finally. Finally he is looking more appropriate and competent.

But then of course he completely undid all that a few minutes later with his silly talk about the media and how unfair they have been to Flynn considering he was the guy to ask for his resignation.

1 step forward, two steps back.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

pray/say/tell what is he supposed to do?

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

honestly speaking it's actually not far from the truth. After Oslo/Camp David both sides had a shot at peace (with the 2 state solution) and both did their part to squander it and are now backed up into their corners with nowhere to go.

A 2 state solution today ? Palestina would be (after many developments of their own and israel's choosing) a failed state right from day 1 and it will lead to further conflict
    A 1 state solution ? most israelian parties would oppose that, as would the other side and it also would lead to further conflict.

9. zin macrumors 6502

Wow, how refreshing. An American president who isn't here to proclaim what is and is not acceptable to the ME peace problem. If both sides like it, he likes it. And he's attacked for holding this position. Sad!

The constant pile-on against Trump is expected from you but at least make an effort.

10. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

We can't start Armageddon until Israel is whole again!!!!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017 ---
    Lol. It seems you're easily fooled by nonsense. Neither side has come up with an agreeable resolution they both "like".

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Sounds to me like the Donald has learned how to talk like a politician: spout a lot of words but say nothing.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Just is his normal BS, the Palestinians and most of the Arab World don't like the single state solution. Israel wants to keep the Palestinians under their thumb. Therefore he's not brave enough to express his own opinion on the matter . :rolleyes:

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well he told us he was a expert on it and would take care of it right?

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The so-called "Two State Solution" has been a cornerstone of US foreign policy in the Middle East for more than thirty years.

This policy, granted, has not led to peace between Israel and the Palestinians. Although in my estimation this is mainly due to Israel's lack of imperative to seek peace, and an (oh so typical) lack of leadership on the part of the Palestinians, with them helplessly split between Hamas and whoever is unlucky enough to be elected in the West Bank.

There does seem to be a growing call for the abandonment of the Two-State solution. There was a very controversial editorial in today's NYTimes along these lines. But the article was predicated on some somewhat shaky historical lines. And, as the comments indicate, abandoning the TSS is likely to cause unexpected backlash among Israel's Arab neighbors.

Tread very carefully there, President Trump.

15. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Did I attack him? No. I posted a quote from the conference and link to the article. I made no attack. You need to lighten up on that trigger finger.

16. zin macrumors 6502

Neither side claimed that. What Trump said is that he will like whatever both sides like.

Whether they come up with it is another issue entirely. What is good is that the American president will not seek to impose his own will on the process, as other U.S. politicians have repeatedly expressed. It is not for the United States to say what is and is not an acceptable solution to the problem.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017 ---
    The title of the thread says otherwise. You take a good piece of news on the peace process and try and spin it in the worst possible way so that Trump sounds uninterested in the issue or erratic.

17. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

Well, in a biblical sense Israel has already taken over all land, since they have full military control over it, since 1967. For the ancients demographics meant little and recognition by the U.N. meant exactly nothing.

And also there is no sin that cannot be forgiven if there is true repentance.

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Again - that's your assessment. The headline is factual, no? He's undecided and doesn't seem to care what the resolve is. I suppose I could have had an even longer subject line and added "as long as both sides are happy" - but it's pretty normal to try and keep SL's on the shorter side.

Again - you are injecting your interpretation into what I wrote rather than taking it at face value. That's on you.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's good to see the US moving away from a two state solution. Realistically I don't think there is any solution in the foreseeable future, I think it will take a change in attitudes on both sides from the younger generations and the older ones dieing off. The only way that I see ensuring long term peace is for there to be one state, but Israel would have to become a democracy that serves everyone, it can't be a state based on religion. If the Israeli's try to make it a Jewish state or the Palestinians try to make it a Muslim state it will not work.

20. samcraig, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

21. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

To be fair, no president in the last 40 years has been brave enough. Carter only became brave once he left office, Bush one put some real pressure, and Obama was played like a fiddle. It's too bad that he only became brave in the last 2 weeks of his mandate, I would have loved to see him put real pressure on Israel.

22. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I personally think Trump is coming unglued, for in my opinion Trump probably thought he could run the U.S. Government like a business. Trump failed to realize there are more laws in government than there is in business. Don't get me wrong for there are lots of business laws one has to adhere too, but none has the result of a potential mushroom cloud.:eek:;)

I am starting to wonder if Trump will be the first President to be impeached because of a mental issue? :confused:

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The two state solution has been the US position for decades has it not? Saying whatever makes both of them happy is really deep and intellectual. :oops: If we allow Israel to build settlements n Palestinian land without saying a peep, we are just as foolish as the Israelis.

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The problem is that if Israel simply annexes the balance of the West Bank, they would *have* to give the Palestinians living there Israeli citizenship, including civil rights, and the right to vote. At which point, demographically it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain Israel's status as a fundamentally Jewish state. It might, for a while, be technically Jewish-majority middle-east country - but it would be hard to maintain a Jewish monopoly on power.

Israel may try to forestall this, by the somewhat dubious technique of letting any Jew - living anywhere in the world - vote in Israeli elections. But that won't pass the smell test for very long. A one-state greater Israel would only to continue to exist by means of a virtual apartheid.

The other huge downside of a One-State Israel is there will be a huge backlash from the rest of the Arab world.

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

open the door to the china shop and give the bull a slap on the rump on his way in! the results could be YUUUUGE!!! :D

[​IMG]