Trump Jr says Daddy Started with "just about nothing"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Sep 24, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

I think we'd all like to start out in business with $1M, no?

"He's epitomized what America is all about: opportunity and working hard and being able to achieve your dreams and what you want to succeed, right?"

I guess if America is all about screwing over the little guy

Not to discount the empire Trump has been built.

But then Trump Jr says, "It's no different from a (Mark) Zuckerberg, right, who went out with a great idea like Facebook and developed this idea and built it and grew it and grew it and grew it. "

Actually Mark (whether or not you like him) didn't start off with the same silver spoon and a 1M "gift" to start Facebook. Yes he was funded... but Trump and Zuck are both entrepreneurs . I wouldn't say they started out the same way.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/23/politics/eric-trump-donald-trump-american-dream/index.html

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think Trump started with a little more than a million dollars. He also had a $70 million loan guaranteed by his father.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Growing 1 million to a few billion might be a bit harder than most posters believe. 1 million doesn't even buy you a house where I live so it's definitely not rich.

Relatively speaking being a billionaire compared to what would not be considered a millionaire is "coming from nothing". At the very most it's just as bad as Clinton saying they were broke.

4. appleisking macrumors 6502a

I disagree because not only is a million dollars a lot particularly in the early 70s which is when Trump started out but he also had his fathers resources and connections to fall back on. Needless to say, juniors assessment fits Frank Trump much more than Donald's background.

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I don't discount what he's done. But that $1m wasn't yesterday - it was back when 1M could be invested quite a bit back when he started out.

There's no proof he's a billionaire. His businesses might have that valuation - but he, himself? Might only be a several millionaire. Who really knows?

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Forbes, Bloomberg and many others have went over his net worth, it may not be north of 10 billion, but no reputable source states it's less than a billion, why the liberals attempt to refute this time and time again is mind boggling, the guy is very rich, he has better flaws to go after than "not being a billionaire".

7. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Until he releases his tax returns I'll withhold judgment that his net worth is north of the hundreds of millions; I'll put that notion in the same category as tRump being "the BEST at X" or "the GREATEST at Y".

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Oh please. There are plenty of non-liberals that don't think he's worth nearly what he says he is. Personally I don't care. I just think it's further indication how out of touch Trump's sons are when it comes to starting with a leg up vs truly starting from scratch.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We don't need your judgment, reputable sources like Forbes and Bloomberg already did this work for you.

10. Limey77 macrumors regular

You're right Trump has so many negatives to target, in fact I'm yet to see a single positive to him.

But given that he is anchoring his campaign around the fact that he's an amazing businessman and will "make America great again" - whatever that's meant to mean, and yet everything he touches turns to ****, ends in bankruptcy, needs bailing out by Saudi princes or Russian oligarchs or ends in court, then it's a very real question.

I would not be at all surprised to find out he has zero liquidity and is racking up debt to pay for his campaign hedging on him winning. Then when he doesn't the Republican Party will find itself like so many others before them screwed.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As I said, this isn't going by what he says he's worth, Forbes and Bloomberg pegged his net worth in the billions.

12. zin macrumors 6502

You'll still have to withhold your judgement when he releases his tax returns as they don't provide any information on somebody's net worth.

13. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You're shifting the conversation. Do you think that Trump Jr is valid is saying that Trump started with almost nothing? Do you really think that 1M in the 70s + Daddy's connections = almost nothing?

Sorry - but that's just an ignorant/stupid statement for Jr to say. It's laughable - especially given that a good portion of Trump's base is barely scraping by.

14. deany, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Just as well when Daddy was starting off he wasn't in Atlantic City doing business with himself.
    Otherwise Daddy would be left penniless.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Relatively speaking he went from 10 to 100. If you are a 1 looking up at 10s it may not seem that way, but for disconnected rich white people the chasm between rich and Trump rich is huge.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's still much easier than going from 1 to 10 as you don't have to worry about clothes on your back, a roof over your head or food to eat.

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Whatever. I think it was a ridiculous comment for him to make and then try to assert when questioned.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't necessarily disagree if the context is talking about middle class people. Trump didn't start off poor.

No doubt.

20. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Zuckerberg has had more controversy than Trump as well, while ignoring those who helped him build his dream, or sell it, or expand on it, and on and on, and how he wants unlimited H1Bs (despite plenty of unemployed US talent that would quickly rise to the occasion) to boost his personal profit margin as opposed to giving back to the country that made him great, with numerous other benefits he probably doesn't even think even about (not by intent, that is, we all don't always realize things we take for granted as well.)

21. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Lets not forget that $1,000,000 in approx 1966 was worth considerable more then than now.
    Maybe Daddy needs a word with son.
    Oh I forgot that discussion wont ever happen due to Daddy's Ego.

IMG_0626.PNG

"just about nothing"
    Yep approx $7,300,000

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

The converter of 1970 $1m to present marks it at 6.2m. I'd say that's a fairly good startup, especially considering 1970's NYC real estate pricing. $70m in loans is another deal.

I don't think Trump is worth quite what he touts. And asset calculation is subject to interpretation, involving market rates and liquidity, etc.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

why would a trump supporter believe anything written in a magazine located in high-rise building in that globalist city of manhattan?

also the billionaire argument is BS. in 1976, trump was wroth $200m, most of which was from his dad. if he had put that in an index fund and reinvested the dividends he'd be worth 12 billion today. but forbes said he was worth 4 billion. so he fails at that too.

his dad and his uncle are actually true representations of the american dream

24. zin macrumors 6502

Correction, if he had invested every cent and reinvested the dividends he'd be dead because reinvested dividends don't pay for food.

The crude assumptions made under that model are not worth reading into.

25. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

He also never really had to worry - it's not like he didn't have Daddy to fall back on. His "risk" level was very low. He might have done well. But I'm far more impressed by people these days who come from almost nothing and put everything they have on an idea they believe in and wind up creating a great business which scales over time.