Trump leaves a great impression on Europe

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, May 29, 2017.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Not ...
    And ...
    I'll leave it up to our conservative members to rationalize why this is supposed to be a good thing.

I'm sure they'll come up with something.

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Trump doesn't seem to be for the status quo. Of course people are going to be upset by this.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Look at the bright side, The less support we have to wage war the less people die. Sadly most here are only against war and collateral damage when republicans are in office

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Explain to me how selling $100 billion worth of weapons to Saudi Arabia, possibly the most repressive nation in the Middle East, and the home of the extremist Islamist Sunni philosophy that drove not just the 9/21 hijackers, but also ISIS, is going to help with that.

What happens to all those weapons if, ten or fifteen years from now, Saudi Arabia falls apart in a revolution to take out the Saudi monarchy? What happens if Saudi Arabia decides to get into a shooting war with Iran? Or Israel? At the very least, those Saudi weapons are going to be used in Yemen:

Mohammad Javad Zarif is the foreign minister of the Islamic Republic of Iran

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. if you put your feelings aside and look at what @citizenzen posted we are dealing with Europe here, the less support we have from EUROPE when it comes to genocide in the M-E the harder it will be to maintain the endless wars you guys support and justify under democrats.

2. what happened to Libya's weapons when Obama "liberated" them and created over 2.5 million refugees? what do you think will happen to Syrias weapons since again oclueless was more than happy to remove Assad? what happened to the weapons Obama gave the terrorist he armed?

your fake outrage shows.

[​IMG]

if only most of you here would have the same feelings towards the turds you support when they are doing the misdeeds then perhaps we could make America great again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

So you were cool with Obama selling a weapons package to SA back in Sept of 2016 (over $115 Billion), but not Trump?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-saudi-security-idUSKCN11D2JQ

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Personally, I'm not "cool" with anyone selling weapons to Saudi Arabia; Riyadh is home to a loathsome regime and has yet to be seriously called to account for the nasty version of Islam it is happily exporting abroad.

Worse, the twin pillars of economic power (derived from oil) and theological importance (because of importance of Mecca in the Muslim world) mean that it has a degree of influence in the Muslim world that is hard to challenge.

But, stop trying to deflect.

More to the point, that is not the topic of this thread.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it's in Context with VR's post, not a deflection...............congrats BTW in being consistent no matter who arms S-A:)

10. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Which is Europe. The topic of this thread is Europe, our alliances, and the damage (or good work, depending on your political POV) that trump has done since becoming president.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

good, hope we are left without their support all together .

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

To a degree, I think Continental Europe should pursue a separate euro-centric agenda that suits their specific interests w/o the US being involved too much. The ramifications of Brexit will soon show themselves, and Germany is in the position to try and sort all of that crap out. In the short term, the US coming in with advice, support and demands from an Ocean away is probably counter-productive. Past that, the US is just too important economically and militarily to divorce from - you just have to hold-your-nose and deal how you can as Europe...

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

It's Ok when Republicans do it i guess by your Argo?

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Yes we should treat them like Russia. Wait that would be more support I guess.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if you don't understand my post then perhaps someone can explain them a bit better to you, no idea where you get "it's ok when republicans do it" out of my post or memes for that matter.

16. Scepticalscribe, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

While we're on that topic, I don't think that Barack Obama deserved the Nobel Peace Prize at any stage of his Presidency; it was conferred upon him out of relief that he wasn't George W Bush, and more - I suspect - out of a misplaced sense of hope of what he might do than expectation of what he would do.

Neither the promise of what he might do nor the record of what he did justified conferring the award on him.

However, Mr Trump brings a whole new dimension - uncouth manners, lack of preparation and petulant outbursts, boorish bullying, gratuitous insults, to international relations and encounters with interlocutors, especially those who used to be allies and states deemed friendly to - and supportive of - the interests of the United States.

17. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I think what this really means is that Russia has gotten exactly what it has always wanted out of this president. NATO is weakening, the US is pulling away from Europe, and Europe itself is looking inward as the US no longer promises to honor article 5 (unless members pay their "fair share").

As such, Russia is far more able to push its weight around in Crimea, Syria, and elsewhere. Heck, with Russia showing strength and the US reneging on its alliances, Europe itself might start looking eastward rather than west for future trade and alliances. After all, Russia is showing in Syria that it will support its friends with vigor.

All in all, Russia could not have asked for more from this president.

18. niploteksi macrumors regular

President Trump has clearly stated though official channels that he's now working for WORLD PEACE! But maybe he meant World Peas.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

But Trump's behavior is totally irrational on that score.

NATO, like all such alliances, works on a fairly simple premise: Attack small, weak country A, and you effectively attack all the other countries (B, C, D, etc.) in that alliance. Meaning it is very risky for Russia to even contemplate launching a military adventure against a small, weak NATO nation such as Latvia or Lithuania. So long as the US, as a NATO member, is unwavering in its commitment to the terms of the alliance.

By pointedly refusing to affirm his commitment to NATO, Donald Trump increased - maybe slightly, maybe a lot - the chances that Russia might move militarily against one of the Baltic States.

For what? What does Donald Trump possibly think he is going to achieve? Does he imagine he's going to save the US taxpayer billions of dollars? No. In fact, Trump has proposed that the US taxpayer spend hundreds of billions of dollars more on the military in his budget.

If Trump articulated a case that, provided NATO members such as France, Germany, and Italy - which have failed to achieve the agreed-upon levels of military spending - increased their defense budgets, then the US could afford to decrease its military spending, then you could argue that this was at least rational.

But he's not doing that. He's proposing that we spend hundreds of billions more on defense. In order to create a massive, incredibly expensive Army and Air Force that sits around the continental United States, presumably waiting until the situation in Asia, or Eastern Europe, or wherever is so dire that we have no choice but to do something to protect ourselves.

Donald Trump certainly is behaving like a paid stooge of the Russians. If there were any justice in this world, he'd go to prison for that.

20. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Aaaaaand Happy Memorial Day. What are we trying to remember again?

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

You harp on you guys but your condemnation of Republicans doing it is ho hum. I think it is more important to you to try to make dems look bad.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if there was justice in this world we would find reasonable prosecutors indeed.

23. niploteksi macrumors regular

That and I'm sure he has a reason for feeding the military-industrial complex. You know that "deep state" that is working against him.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Democrats make democrats look bad, and as said, if can't understand the memes then I can't help you bud.
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2017 ---
    the last clown was more than happy to engage in other countries and armed rebels. further feeding that military industrial complex, did you have a problem with it then?

25. niploteksi macrumors regular

No, not really.