Trump made an impact on TPP.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pat500000, Nov 10, 2016.

1. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Donnie already running the country and he's not even in the office! What a legend!

3. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Unfortunately that also means it will be harder for US companies to sell their goods and services abroad. its a two way street.

4. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

We'll have to see what happens here now.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

6. AdonisSMU, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

If Americans can sell more stuff overseas, they will need more employees to make more goods to sell overseas.

I'm one of the people who used to think the TPP was a bad deal and then I did some research on the GD and on the arguments for/against Free Trade. I've come to the conclusion protectionism doesn't work in the long-run.

Protectionism forces the price of goods and services to be artificially higher than they would otherwise be. This results in the average consumer having less buying power. With less buying power it means people spend less and do business less which leads to less jobs and less income and less tax dollars for things like education, infrastructure, military etc. Asia/Europe is industrialized now so we are not in a situation where we can just shrug off the rest of the world. We have competition. We have to make better decisions.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Except cheap **** flows in from overseas and they don't buy our expensive stuff and neither do we.

8. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

Wouldn't that get more employments to build stuff?

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Trump seems to be advocating separate deals for every country. But regardless of whether a trade deal is strictly between two nations or a multinational agreement, it's still a binding commitment. Multinational agreements seem to me to make sense between nations that share similar interests and objectives.

10. AdonisSMU, Nov 10, 2016

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Free trade helps the US. The manufacturing sector in the US needs an innovation revival not a border wall or a tariff.

11. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Trudeau is the prime minister of Canada.

Donnie off to a good start. So far I am glad many of us chose to see past some of the BS he spewed to get some of the votes he needed and look at the overall picture. I hope he keeps it up and doesn't disappoint us on other things.

12. AdonisSMU, Nov 10, 2016

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

From your article:
    hmmm after reading your article and several others...

I actually think Bernie and Trump got it wrong TBQH. Multinational agreements are easier to hold other countries accountable for because they have the effect of pissing off the other countries if someone should violate the agreement.

Multinational agreements have the effect of keeping people honest. Additionally, the farmers and ranchers who voted for Trump presumably will now get hammered as they are going to have a hard time selling their goods overseas.

Imagine you as a business having to keep up with regulations for each and every country instead of just following one agreement to get your goods and services sold overseas. Trumps idea creates additional regulations, costs and paper work for businesses. It also takes more time to do things one by one vs getting everyone to agree to one set of rules for competition.

13. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

This is TPP is more than just trade issue. It's an investment of jobs. We would have internet issues (expand copyright terms). I'm thinking Trump is looking at TPP as a holistic way and not just one particular issue.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2016 ---
    Here's more info of TPP

http://www.citizen.org/TPP

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I'm going to research the deal more but hmmm seems like a bad deal on the surface which is what I originally thought. However, I'm not against multinational free trade agreements. I think it's the way to go honestly. However, maybe this deal wasn't the way to go.

15. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

This whole TPP was about control to be honest IMO.

16. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I would agree with that TBQH. I read a number of articles on it and that's what I came away with. However, I'm not against Multinational Free Trade Agreements.

17. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

But we both can agree that TPP is bad...and controlling.

18. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

It looks bad by all counts. I'm not sure why Obama was so quick to get on board with this deal. It's hard to argue that it's good at all. Free Trade deals can be good but this one is just poorly executed attempt for corporations to gain more control over and above the governments of the countries they do business in.

19. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

Trump did it...he literally crumbled them.

20. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Well TTP (TTiP as the called it here) has been pretty much dead from the the EU side for months now. Just look at how hard it was push CETA through which was/is seen as the lesser evil (and may still fall).

ups, TTP != TTiP -> my bad :oops:

21. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Killing TPP was a good step. Now preventing China from drafting their own TPP agreement that other 'states' will sign is key.