Trump: Making MSM News Great Again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 3, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

People can't keep from gawking at a car crash.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

We can give him credit as long as all the news being read (by other than Trump) is not just news about Trump. One grows concerned that his sideshows become the main attraction and allow assorted mischief --which may be reported but not get read-- to go unremarked on by the public.

The side benefit of all those clicks and eyeballs obsessed by Trump, the jacking up revenues and ratings, is temporary no matter how long it persists. I'm sure the publishers and producers realize they can't rely on that to solve the longer term problems of extracting revenue from news provision. What's going on now is indeed just an extended version of the gawking at car crashes phenomenon.

In general, people don't want to see ads and they don't want to hit paywalls every time they click on a link. Yet they expect somehow to be able to hop onto social media or hit a news aggregation site and find the equivalent of a metro newspaper's information at their fingertips?

So let's see... if I want to read about what's up in Burma this morning, is what I read going to come from my vacationing cousin Joey or will it be what a stringer reported to a wire service picked up by the Times?

The whole "information wants to be free" thing unleashed by early adopters of the web is problematic for more than just the music and movie businesses. Bottom line: "you get what you pay for" may be simplistic and even overoptimistic, but "you can't get blood out of a stone" is gospel. Somewhere in between is a price point, a fair price for fair value. We resist that for too long in our newsgathering behavior and we'll be back to reliance on tribal wisdoms of our own village and ignorance of anything past the county line. And that, of course, would suit Donald Trump just fine. Funny how at the moment he makes it possible to pay that stringer in Burma...

4. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

My fear is that the disease that has invaded political news will migrate and infect other news.
    No, I'm not talking DT. I'm referencing the style of reporting by the majority of the news media (US).

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

All I could think of was a line by a female comedian I saw one who said (paraphrasing because this was several years ago..

"Can you imagine if there were both guy and girls news reports? Like - the weather guy would say - there was 8-10 inches of snow this week. And the girl would say - it was more like 3 inches."

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

This is basically what has already happened in general consumption of news. People silo their news intake according to personal preference. Perception is reality, so the selection becomes the news, period. That narrowing of intake has been the case for quite awhile now, I suspect. Certainly since the advent of faster net speeds, web browsers and online news aggregation sites.

But the process of "all the news fit to print" becoming an individually silloed version with the tag "the news" acquired a much darker tone in 2015-16. There was a massive rollout of blatant assertions from the far right that whatever you read that doesn't fit in the preferred news silo is just Fake News. Breitbart and its ilk were happy to show you into the correct silo, help you define their home as "the news" and even point out a couple mainstream pieces elswhere that they tagged for your edification as Fake News; those publications then became de facto Fake Media.

How do we know it worked? Look at the rage of people with iPhones when Apple News launched. Mind you, the app lets you set it up however you want. But the very idea that it offered options to include Fake News, from Fake Media: scary, eh? Even evidence of collusion with left wing policymakers?

To me it's important to combat the Fake News gig tooth and nail because it's really dangerous.

This is not that lighthearted or ironic dismissal of the "truthiness" of some off kilter assertion. This is an effort to discredit independent news reporting and so narrow its reach. It's marketing gone rogue, basically. "Make it good; if you can't make it good, make it big, if you can't make it big, make it red..."

But when trying to collapse independent media outlets by discrediting them, it's a littler simpler: "Tell a lie, sell it as the truth, everything else is fake news."

We are literally hearing lies along the lines of "Red is green and purple is orange" from this crew in the White House. Said with a straight face and in all earnestness. Honestly your dress is unsuitable because we're living on Mars now and everyone wears tinfoil. Really we've arrived at a place where we don't neeed to fund stuff like the Appalachian Regional Commission because the private sector has done a great job electing to create new jobs in rural areas.

(actually it's the ARC grants that allowed towns or counties to entice private sectors to launch new ventures in the area... but hey don't let me step on the punchline of that budget cut rationale)​

The big lie has hatched out like a bunch of turkey vultures in the White House. Lies like we've never seen them done before. Not by Cinton's gang or even Lying' Bill himself, not Scooter LIbby or Cheney or even dudes back in Nixon's administration. I mean nonstop lying from dawn to dusk. Flip flops, presented with a straight face as if amnesia had set in about yesterday's policy stance. Walkbacks presented as explanations of how you didn't get the context yesterday. Reversals presented as misunderstandings. Denials of ever having said something when it's on tapes in four news bureaus. Doubling down, suggesting the tapes are edited because... hey... someone did once upon a time edit a video and air it, remember? So... all videos by media outlets could be that way, who knows. Yeah. They could be fake news. Their makers are certainly Fake Media Outlets.

OK so any Congressman's aide worth his pay can run one of these scenarios out when his boss has screwed up, but it takes a lot of brass to run a White House like that 24/7. And it's not all because Trump is a jackass. It's because that whole crew is bad to the bone.

Yes we have seen other Presidents lie to us. We saw one get impeached over it. But this White House takes the art form to depths only a scuba diver could appreciate. This crew lies with a straight face 24/7 and Trump himself will say something, reverse himself shortly after, and then deny having said anytnig on the subject whatsoever. And tweetbomb you for days if you call him out on it.

7. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

More people are watching and being made stupid by fake news?

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

If they buy into the WH's alternative facts, then yes, they are being stupid.

9. Technarchy, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

No worse than farces like 17 Intelligence agencies scream Russia, and that was proven to be complete ******** echoed by all the usual fake news peddlers.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

17 news agencies? What exactly are you referring to?

And what about Russia specifically was proved to be complete *****?

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Reality, that's where.

• Read your post again and the first three words of my reply. What do they say?
    • Now read the top of the video. What does it say?
    I know all about the 17 intelligence agencies thing. (Something still said in congressional hearings BTW. I think I even heard it again a week or two ago...so congress uses this statement too). But not "17 news agencies". Now, maybe that is just your way of trying to be cute, but it failed and was inaccurate....much like the thing you are complaining about.

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

At least you can admit the WH is a farce, that's progress.

14. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I'm a Bernie guy. I'm not fan of Trump but nothing is more repugnant than a Clinton, which is why she lost.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

"Fake news" is a hollow, trite, dog whistle.

You're blowing it. But I can't hear a thing.

16. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Well that's subjective.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I dare any of you to at least watch the second video. Happy 4th!

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Dares lost their power back in elementary school.

19. huperniketes macrumors regular

huperniketes

I'm not going to speak for him regarding his meaning of "17 news agencies". But certainly there were about that many media outlets screaming bloody murder over Russian attempts to "influence" our election. But the controversy over the "leaked" emails from the Clinton campaign and the DNC wasn't about their validity at all, and the media outlets should have been outraged that they were real. Except that the emails showed many journalists and staffers at these media outlets colluded with the HRC campaign and the DNC to suppress facts, misreport news, etc. to improperly influence the election themselves.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

We've had Pravda Fox News for years and conservatives have been lapping it up. This is just the next phase on our decent to being Russia. No wondering about the Trump Putin bromance. It makes perfect sense. :oops:

21. zin Suspended

Yeah, and you've had CNN/MSNBC/NBC/CBS/ABC for years and liberals have been lapping it up. Why you still seem to think Fox is alone in this is beyond me. Those are some thick partisan goggles.

And it makes zero sense to get along with Russia. Let's repeat the policy of the last 75 years. That makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe mainstream news is already great and we just don't notice enough of it as we prowl for the latest clickbait to chime in on. I bumped into the piece cited below today and it makes me realize two things about this great country: we make a lot of mistakes, and we try to fix at least some of them. The article also makes me acknowledge that not all of our congress critters are schmucks.

Happy Independence Day and thanks to any here who have served in our military (regardless if you are undocumented and maybe even deported after you got back). I plan to ask my congressman to support a bill now in the works to provide a pathway back for deported vets and change up how we deal with vets subject to deportation. If you put your life on the line for this country then by god you should be able to call this your home for good. These guys in the limbo of post-service deportation right now are entitled to return here only if they die, since they do qualify for burial in a VA cemetery. Something wrong there if we actually believe the US owes respect to the men and women who stand watch someplace for us so we don't have to bother.

Where deported veterans find support for a fresh start

The deportation of veterans began to pick up around 1996, when the US changed its immigration laws, taking away a judge’s discretion to consider factors like military service in deciding a case, says Jennie Pasquarella, director of immigrant rights for the ACLU in California and co-author of a July 2016 report on deported veterans.

But thanks to the work of deported veterans led by Barajas, the issue is “no longer under the radar,” Ms. Pasquarella says.

Last month, a group of seven US Congressmen visited the Tijuana Bunker to learn about the experiences of deported veterans. A bill was reintroduced in Congress in March that would provide support for future possible deportees and provide a pathway home for veterans who have already been deported. So far, it has the support of 51 lawmakers.

Many of the veterans seeking support from the Bunkers draw a direct line between their crimes and the challenges they experienced reintegrating into society after military service.

“We made mistakes [that got us deported], but that doesn’t mean we have to pay for the rest of our lives,” says Barajas, who was brought to the US as a child and gained legal residency. He enlisted at 18, and spent six years in the Army. But his honorable discharge was followed on by drug addiction, and eventually a shooting crime that would land him in prison for three years.

“We have to take responsibility for our actions. We have to try to change those laws,” he says. “If we can’t ever go home, we need to at least do our part to be productive members of the country we’ve been deported to.”

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Mainstream media is great. We have information and opinion from a vast amount of sources at our finger tips.

Brushing it all off as "fake" is paranoid and idiotic.

Just be a smart consumer of it. Be an adult and use some of the wisdom and intelligence we supposedly possess.

24. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

You know Fox was created as an answer to neo-lefty leaning press "Pravda" which went full bat-tard under Clinton, and lost near all credibility.

It wasn't just created in a vacuum.

Like most things wrong in America in the millennial generation, it all began with Clinton. That's why she lost. People know the Clintons are repugnant.

25. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I disagree. Conservatives don't like liberal progress period and they've created boogeyman men and woman to support their cause. No issue with lieing either, hence Fox, tell big lies to scare your conservative base. You know this happened with Obama Care, and now it's biting them on their backsides. Telling the suckers the abomination health care trying to be passed by the GOP with a straight face, is a superior product is heinous. Yeah it's great for the 1% but that's primarily it.

The successful character assination campaign against Hillary was based exclusively on Right wing conspiracy theories. She is regupnant if you consider helping poor children as repugnant. Do you, or do you claim the Clintons made that up? And when she was First Lady, she and Bill pushed for UHC, the scoundrels, trying to help average Americans. :oops: