Trump may or may not watch Mueller testify... sticking to his "conflicted" narrative

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 22, 2019.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Business relationship? Is he referring to the golf dues? Pathetic.

"Robert Mueller, I know he's conflicted," Mr. Trump said. "He had, there's a lot of conflicts that he's got, including the fact that his best friend is Comey. But he's got conflicts with me too. He's got big conflicts with me. As you know he wanted the job of the FBI director, he didn't get it. And we had a business relationship where I said no. And I would say that he wasn't happy. Then all of the sudden he gets this position, but you know what he still ruled and I respect him for it, he still ruled no collusion no obstruction. And this thing should have ended a long time ago."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-meets-with-pakistani-prime-minister-live-updates/

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Mueller stated all he would do is repeat what was in the report, what is there to watch?

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Since about 90% of Trump’s supporters don’t appear to know what’s actually in the report, any public testimony and reporting on the actual contents of the report will be extremely valuable.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

You said it yourself, he'll repeat what was in the report, which a lot haven't read (representatives included). I imagine you can expect people to passively absorb its contents while listening throughout the work day easier than having them actively read it. Short of making it a show on HBO, it's the best way to make the American people understand.

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

What about making it a musical?

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if it's not on faux news they won't watch it either.

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Oh, it'll happen!

8. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Nah, no freaking out on the part of the administration...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/justice-department-warns-robert-mueller-not-to-tell-congress-too-much
    Which is strange since Mueller himself said he would not go beyond his report.

So, why the letter? o_O

Mind you, Mueller isn't an employee anymore, he's private citizen not bound to follow those orders.

9. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

All of the hearings are the same. A D or R running on and on with a scathing opinion without any real content or answers and sometimes even relevance. If anything, it will finally make CNN and MSNBC change their 4 day overdone narrative calling Trump a racist.

10. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Most people have not read the report. Trump and the GOP liked it that way.

Having Mueller even parrot out of the thing the particular evidence that was presented that caused him to conclude that he could not exonerate the President might be a revelation to viewers who got their current take on it, if any, from right wing media who have summarized it as essentially a nothingburger:

"The president did no wrong"... is not exactly what that report says.​

Thus, Trump and the GOP would rather Mueller not be interviewed by Congress, even if all that happens is the equivalent of Mueller just reading from his report into the TV cameras.

It's about the difference between having a book sit on a shelf while someone suggests to you what's in it, and having its author read the thing to you.

On the other hand :D if you've been gaslighted long enough that you think the purpose of having a book on a shelf is that someone will eventually explain their view of its content to you, and that it doesn't matter what the author himself says is in that book, because who the hell is he anyway and after all he's probably prejudiced, then you are truly fit to be a first class MAGA-type Trump supporter and you can certainly skip the hearings because they're just going to be fake news. :rolleyes:

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I truly wonder how many people actually read the full report. Just yesterday I was having a conversation with a D friend about Mueller's testimony and she - a very well informed individual - didn't read a single page of the report. Same it appears to be true for my R friends. According to what I can tell, I am the only one I know that actually read the report.
    But again, I am a total geek as I routinely read gov't documents... honestly the first part reads more like a spy novel.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2019 ---
    Unless Trump+GOP control the internet and the media, the report is available for everyone, for free, online. The report is also well displayed in different print editions at Barnes and Noble, including one by the WaPo. The report is available on Amazon. The report is available in PDF, Epub, and Mobi formats, for free. The report has been mentioned by all the news outlets, from CNN to Fox. If people don't read it, it's only the people's fault.

12. LordVic macrumors 603

This seems to be very consistent thing on most aspects. the size and wording of the report doesn't really lend to easy reading. I admit, I've read good chunks of it, but my eyes glazed over numerous times. Even the conclusions are so wordy as to not directly state what I believe Mueller wants to state.

But there are way too many people who claim what the report says purely off AG BARR's summary or whats repeated on the news. Without any further critical thought to what may legitimately be said. (I don't want to rehash the same thing you and I have already hashed a million times, it's ot you or I that refuse to read it). But those people who refuse to read it also have no problem parroting things they've heard without putting a second thought into what was actually written.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Sadly, this is true for many of these reports. See the 9/11 Commission Report. Even the Challenger Disaster or the Columbia Disaster commission reports have been quoted in snippets that are often interpreted the wrong way out of context. Obviously Mueller's is a controversial one as it's very political in nature, but I think that it can be read by most people, especially the first part. Second part (on obstruction) I admit having had some difficulties due to the legalesque nature, but one can at least learn where is what in case some further research/argument is needed. It also appears to me that since the advent of social media people pretend to be experts in whatever is the controversial topic of the week by simply quoting a snippet of a document that was heard on the news.

14. LordVic macrumors 603

It's just frustrating, because seeing people speak out of ignorance, and then when presented with facts as to why their ignorant point is incorrect, they double down on it instead of accepting of the new facts.

Being wrong isn't a bad thing. It means we have the opportunity to learn. Doubling down on ignorance is probably the greatest casualty of our modern era. We've given the notion that every opinion, even ignorant and incorrect ones are to be given equal weight. Which has led to a lot of ignorance spreading (See flat Earthers, or even the rise in hate related violence in recent years).

I don't know how to fix it. Because even here, on these boards, there are examples of this behaviour. Back when the report landed, I was in some heated debates with individuals who outright claimed they didn't read the report, didn't need to read the report, and what Barr said is 100% all they needed. While trying to argue against the very words that are written in the report. hese exact same posters also went on a huge "HA, THE REPORTS OUT, THE LEFT WILL NEVER ACCEPT THE REPORT!" then literally did the exact same thing.. refused to read it and refused to accept anything in the report.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I totally agree. Of course we might come up to different conclusions as the gray areas are often quite large in human and political matters. The problem I have is that any possibility for me to learn from such people instantly disappears so the whole conversation becomes just a big waste of time for all parties involved. But you know, people prefer to have an ignorant opinion instead of saying "well, let me research" as it provides a quick rebuttal. There's also appears to be some sort of fear in saying "oh, I am wrong"; personally I think that recognizing when I am wrong - which is often - is one of the best opportunities for myself. Humans...:).

The one that always makes me furious is the "we didn't go to the Moon because how come we went there without fast computers, and now that we have them we can't go back", not realizing that computers are merely an aid to the astronauts (an important one, but it's just an aid) and that the real problem is actually building a $2B big ass rocket that reaches escape velocity while bringing up a very large useful payload which also must have a very stable, safe, and controlled environmental system.

16. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

I completely agree. My point there was that since most people have not read it, and since the White House asked Mueller to limit his report to content of it, it's entirely possible that many people who choose to tune into his televised testimony will hear parts of the report unfamiliar to them in any prior references to "the Mueller Report" that they may have seen on television shows which they had earlier elected to watch.

And not only is that why the WH asked Mueller not to comment extraneously: they were probably happiest when the general lay of the land was that hardly anyone had actually read the thing. Perhaps you are not aware of some conservative pundits' take on the report and in particular commentary from the right on talk radio and television. LOL ya know "Cliff Notes" are one thing but summarizing that report down to "fake news" and "he didn't do anything wrong" are what I would call overreach. The left is just as bad in the sense of summarizing it as "It ain't no nothin'burger" with an implicit discount of any exonerating evidence regarding collusion etc. I've done that myself although I have read the damn thing.

Now it's true that the Congress critters on both sides of the aisle will try to focus on parts of Mueller's report that they may want to see played up for partisan reasons. Still, since Mueller is apparently constrained by his bosses to stick to the report he submitted, the replies he provides to at least the Democrats' questions may reveal new information to some nonreaders of the report itself. And those who lean left may learn something as well if they have not read the thing. I'm not claiming lefties have all read it. They have not done so. Nor has most of Congress even as of earlier this month.

In proposing that most Americans haven't read it, I'm not leaving anyone out. Donald Trump however did have this to say about it to NBC's Chuck Todd. (priceless....Trump being Trump):

“Let me tell you, I read much of it. I read the conclusion."​

It's up to all viewers of course if they wish to regard as "new fake information" whatever they see Mueller say on TV. Some people will not believe the sun is shining even as their coated lenses turn dark while they head out the door and down the road for lunch. I could say that's not my problem but it does rather alarm me.

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Not really as he's a retired individual right now. The Special Counsel is closed and he resigned back in May. I think he's professional enough to know that anything outside of the context of the report he wrote would be an inappropriate comment that could jeopardize his own work.

18. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

My post was too long already, so thank you for sharing the burden of explicating "apparently constrained"... :)

I need @Gutwrench back in here to remind me about how Ambien is sometimes as good as one of my posts...

19. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

My guess is it's just political theater at this point, the people really know the meat of this for the most part and I don't think this makes any difference in the end. Trump could just leave it alone and it will be old news by Friday but he'll likely watch, seethe over it and go on a Tweetstorm, needlessly litigating what would otherwise have no teeth.

20. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

You're at least right about the tweetstorms... likely a key part of why White House aides would prefer the printed report be allowed to molder in the archives. Trump's reaction to the hearings could end up just another distraction from what the Republican Party would like to see happening now, which is the leading edge of a smooth presentation of the Rs' achievements and expectations for 2020: facts about economic data now and legislation back in the 115th congress (2017-18) that they believe have advanced the long-running recovery and validated some points of Trump's 2016 campaign that the GOP thinks could still appeal to centrists.

That case could probably be made to the center right in the USA... if Trump would shut up about "go back" and "The Squad" and now yet again about how persecuted he was when somehow someone in his own party sic'd Robert Mueller on him and a whole pile of Democrats made a big deal out of nothing.

aw poor baby.jpg

21. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

If he goes outside the report he can then also be cross examined by the Republicans. I would think it would be in his interest to stick to his report, unless clarification is needed.

22. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I think it would be in the country's best interest for him to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

It's not a court of law. Republican questioning isn't limited by the scope of his "direct" testimony. It's limited by the agreed-upon subject matter of the hearing and the witness's willingness to testify.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Totally agreed, but if he were to mention something external to the report as a relevant fact I'd immediately question why someone who had two years (by his choice since there was no expiration date), several lawyers, dozens and dozens of FBI agents available, and virtually unlimited scope did not include such relevant fact within the report itself since the report IS the official document. He would invalidate his job immediately.
    He's a very intelligent man, he's not going to say anything that is not in the report already.

25. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It's possible they could ask why questions that weren't explained in the report. Or to elaborate items on the report that could be interpreted in more than one way.