Trump may place legal marijuana advocate as head of the FDA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jan 26, 2017.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Well it's in Trump's best interest. Many people will need recreational drugs to get through the next 4(?) years.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't drink or smoke and I am doing fine :D
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2017 ---
    love SOME of what trump is saying....
    [​IMG]

except this :mad:

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Obama incarcerated more recreational marijuana users than any previous POTUS and the liberals ignored it. However, if it was President Hillary (hahaha) nominating a pro-legalization FDA head the libs would be singing her praises.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

oboma was out arresting people? man that guy gets around doesn't he?

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Conversely the Republicans would be slamming her. Yet I imagine they will be mostly quiet on Trump doing the same. Team sports!

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm not sure this means too much. One of the problems with the FDA and marijuana is the very limited amount of clinical tests that have been completed due to very strict regulation.

The other problem is that drug approval under the FDA is completed by advisory committees who vote based on the clinical data presented. The advisors oftentimes are independent of the FDA but experts in the specific field. These advisory committees generally have big ties to big pharma. The FDA has only started to crack down on these conflicts of interest.

Having a pro-pot FDA leader probably won't get marijuana approved, but it may open the door for further clinical testing.

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

No doubt about it.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I believe that is shopped, I can tell by the 45th President saying that .45 is inferior to a 9mm.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I dunno, do they really want to go where no man has gone before. At least not Bill.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2017 ---
    Trump can just sign an executive order making pot legal.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

From what I've read an execuative order may not be enough to get it completely legalized, but possibly to move it from a schedule I to schedule II. Rescheduling of drugs is normally determined by the DEA, HHS, and Attorney General. Legalizing recreational marijuana federally is probably is likely to be even more complicated, and I doubt would happen with the current political composition of Washington.

But even if marijuana was moved from schedule I to II, I'm not sure how that would play in with the FDA's lack of approval on the medical use of marijuana. This decision probably could not change until sufficient evidence is reviewed for its desired indications. I'm really not sure how this would work if the FDA isn't onboard, medically speaking. Over the past 40+ years it's been very hard to get marijuana research approval and legal marijuana to test with provided by the government. Therefore there's not a lot of FDA acceptable studies with large sample sizes.

Last August 2016 the DEA refused to downgrade marijuana form CI to CII, but the DEA has loosened their grip on clinical research restrictions. So for pro-medical-marijuana people that's a good thing.

If I remember correctly Trump is behind medical marijuana, but unlikely to be for recreational legality. Jeff Sessions as the AG evidently is not exactly a proponent of marijuana. I suspect we won't see much change from the system we already have in place for some time- states determine the legality, marijuana continues to be illegal under federal law. Trumps too busy building infrastructure and counting crowd sizes.

14. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I believe Sessions is either pro or neutral with regard to legalization.

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Didn't he also pardon/commute the sentences of thousands of non-violent drug offenders?

Also, since when does the President incarcerate people?

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm not so sure about that.