Trump Meeting on Video Game Violence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gkarris, Mar 8, 2018.

1. gkarris, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

"Trump's meeting on video game violence could prove contentious":

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/07/politics/donald-trump-video-games/index.html

Being an avid gamer, would like to hear thoughts...

What do you think?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

It will be a deflective sideshow. Since no real effort is wanted to address any real problems, it's back to demonizing old strawmen.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/8/17095178/who-is-going-trump-video-games-meeting-white-house

It's low hanging fruit to pick for show.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Do kids in Europe not play the same video games? They're not shooting up places left and right.

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Yeah. I found it interesting that Rockstar ( makers of Grand Theft Auto, one of the big boogeymen of videogaming )is going ( they have Red Dead Redemption coming out. Soon? ) which will be promotion for them. But Activision who publishes Call of Duty which for many of us gamers is your intro to basics about firearms in videogames isn't showing up. This is all show to try & grab the newscycle, pretend something was done, and not upset the NRA. It's interesting the videogames people will be outnumbered compared to it's critics. I'm sure that WASN'T intentional.

7. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Is the Rating System enforced in Europe?

Here in the US, it seems to just be a "joke".

I'm the stores and all too often I see parents buying M-Rated games for their 10+ year olds...

I often get asked at a store from some Youth to "buy this game for them" - I decline, but they keep asking others until someone does it for them, all in front of the sales people who don't seem to mind selling the game to a stranger for a kid.

Don't you think it IS a factor for young minds?

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

COD is my all time fave. Never once had the inkling to go commando on the public. One time I wanted to come to the door brandishing my 9mm when a Jehovah's Witness came to save me, but I think 95% of the general public would be OK with that.

9. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

How would enforcement differ from the U.S., if kids are using the oldest dodge in the book? The bigger game stores like Gamestop have been busted before for selling 'M' games, so I've often heard clerks warn adults buying for kids that it is 'M'. It's obviously done as a cover for Gamestop obviously, but what else can they do? Deny a sale? What's to stop the adult from turning around and just saying it's for them?

The ratings system for videogames like movies is NOT intended to be a catch all, it's a guidance.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

In Europe is't PEGI ratings and parents can still by whatever games they want for their kids.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

If you had the 'commando perk' from MW3 in real life, you darn well better believe you'd be tempted to use it in public. Especially in a long line. :D

Sorry, I was separating games from reality again. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen.

12. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Then maybe it has become a "cultural" thing here in the US.

1. The ease of owning a gun.
    2. The ease of purchasing Assault Weapons and Mods to turn ordinary ones into them.
    3. The ease of persons of any age to obtain and play/watch Mature Rated Videos and Games.

This should not be surprising where this has now lead...

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

4. The victimhood mentality that is so pervasive in the US and the upbringing of children in a environment that shields them from failure (everyone gets a trophy). We literally have a good chunk of a generation who simply can't handle adversity. I mean we have Universities setting up counseling services for students when they have certain guest speakers on campus. We've become so mentally weak it's unreal.

14. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I don't get your "victimhood mentality" (though I do believe to be true in other circumstances) how it relates to those with violent/en-titlist upbringing...

found this new article:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/08/media/video-game-industry-white-house/index.html

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Relates to the notion that kids are being taught that nothing ever bad should happen (isolated too much from disappointment). That they have a right to not be offended and everything should be "fair", as such when things don't go their way they become unhinged. Obviously that manifests itself differently in the individual but one of the ways is to "get them back" (ie...have the last laugh, both literally and figuratively). Again, it's just a theory of mine.

16. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Interesting...

A sort of Entitlement - things should always be the way I WANT THEM TO... :eek:

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Knowing Trump - he's probably just using this as a way to get all the latest games for Barron ;)

"I hope you can help me out here"

18. SusanK macrumors 68000

19. samcraig macrumors P6

No - but that's pretty much Ender's Game, isn't it ;)

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No but I think I learned that I could **** up at least 20 people with a sawed off shotgun and incendiary rounds. I'm basing this solely on my K/D ratio though.

21. Huntn, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Season 16 of The Apprentice with His Highness presiding. :oops:

Blaming video games would be the beginning of wholesale censorship, that would spread its tentacles throughout our culture, especially books, television, and movies.
    Anyone here want to go out on a limb in support of banning violent games?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2018 ---
    The rating system imo is good, it’s people’s/parent’s judgement that is the joke. Years ago, this Grandmother bought her Grandchild, Grand Theft Auto, clearly marked with an M for mature, but then sued, Rockstar when she heard about the secret Hot Coffee encounter buried in the game. Bottom line murdering is ok, but OMG sex and PG 13 sex at that! :rolleyes:

22. samcraig macrumors P6

So I'm a bit torn here on the issue because I do think video games have gotten extremely violent (I remember back in the 80s when the subject first came up and by today's standards it's ridiculous). Especially since graphics have improved tremendously and now there's AR/VR.

I think it's a bit of a red herring for Trump though. I think it's a way of distancing the issue from the NRA and other changes in the law. It's not not important.... But more studies should conducted.

That being said, a reminder that Apple itself changed their gun emoji to the toy gun emoji due to gun violence:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-is-replacing-the-pistol-emoji-with-a-squirt-gun-2016-8

23. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I’m about to make a decent pro-gun argument of sorts. Video games frequently display violence, the percentage of games with no violence is a very low percentage. Most people compartmentalize this activity as competitive, say an arena shooter, or defending the Earth from aliens (defensive), and in some examples, promote negative role playing, such as being an assassin, or member of the thieves guild. Most people by virtue of replay value and still being alive, ;) understand that video game death is not real life death. This is a good description of most gun owners too.

So where do mentally ill video game players interesect with mentally ill gun owners? When they both can get their hands on real guns vs digital versions. Now despite this low percentage of problem people in both categories, we could ban all violent games along with all guns. But a more reasonable approach would be to make sure through screening that mentally ill video game players or wannabe gun owners don’t have the opportunity to acquire guns and as an after thought, get them in for some therapy.

I’m anticipating the argument that if they had not played the violent game, they would not be violent. This is the argument the anti-video game people will make, but surprisingly it mirrors that same argument for banning all guns. Then we could plan on violent books, movies, and television being banned. Not a good plan imo.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The fact that apple even has a gun emoji is a shock.

Remember those wooden guns kids use to make that shot rubber bands via a clothspin, too violent now for schools. They were fun, but now it's OMG a kids would be suspended for such a thing.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

I got in trouble for organizing a TAG game in the 80s. It wasn't the game itself but rather concerns that teachers wouldn't be able to distinguish a real gun from the plastic disc guns.