Trump Middle East Peace Proposal/Deal

retta283

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ

"This solution is not linked to religion, it's linked to reality."

Gaddafi knew what was going on in the world, it's too bad no one listened to him.

Reactions: stylinexpat

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Peace proposal ....... oclueless would have bombed them already ....
Wrong thread, amigo... this one is about Kushner's Middle East economic development plan. As far as I know neither the Obama nor Trump administration planned to bomb the area into better straits regarding economic vitality. The Palestinians and Israelis certainly spend enough time lobbing **** at each other already, and poor Lebanon has staggered from one governmental crisis to another for decades thanks to meddling by a number of nations who regard it as an eternal paradise for proxy wars. I guess now they'll take turns with poor Syria?

... and whatever Obama was going to do regarding the thorny Palestinian-Israeli issue was not going to make the USA a less honest broker on that matter. In fact he was criticized for moving the US a notch back towards center.

But the Trump administration has made it fairly clear they're on the one-state-solution wagon along with Bibi, per our ambassador's prior private support of settlements in the West Bank, our formalizing the move of our embassy to Jerusalem , our closure of the diplomatic facility of the Palestinians in DC, our cessation of aid that went to hospitals and schools in the territories, and now Kushner on behalf of the USA suggesting that real estate developments and other private investments can precede a political settlement of the Israeli-Palestinian question.

Even in advance of Kusher's plan rollout, the Arab kingdom had seemed of a clear voice that the plan was not going to fly. But hey, money seeking more money always gets a seat at the table, doesn't it. Sometimes the cost of those half-celebration half-negotiation dinners gets pricey though, when blood runs in the streets outside the restaurants in neighborhoods where movers and shakers dine.

Time will tell if money speaks last, or is rudely interrupted by people who are tired of being invisible despite their rights to exist as a people with a homeland to call their own.

Who made Kushner a dude with a right to proclaim as he did on TV that the Palestinian leaders may want one thing but he knows what the Palestinian people want and that's what he's going to provide? He ended up having to cop that it's a fact he doesn't wander the streets of Ramallah every day interviewing ordinary Palestinians.
A head of state's special envoy does not in fact deal directly with "the people" all that often as Kushner was earlier trying to imply. What Trump and Kushner & interested cronies do mean to provide --although he certainly will not cop to it-- is a pathway to more riches for the rich via private sector investment floated on wings of alleged diplomatic relationships and a few bucks for seed money from US taxpayers.

At one point in that Axios interview of him on HBO, Kushner even said something not only patronizing but ignorant about how eventually the Palestinian people can end up "capable of governing":

“The hope is, is that they over time can become capable of governing. There are some things the current Palestinian government has done well, and there are some things that are lacking. And I do think that in order for the area to be investable, for investors to want to come in and invest in different industry and infrastructure and create jobs, you do need to have a fair judicial system, you need to have freedom of press, freedom of expression, tolerance for all religions.”​

Wow. Just.. wow. How about needing to have a ****ing home to call their own?

Well they'll not get much of a chance at it if Bibi Netanyahu's pals have anything to say of it in the meantime. What Israeli settlers have been doing with their West Bank expansions is disenfranchising Palestinians one neighborhood at a time. Does that fit with Kushner&Co's "investment" plan? Probably to a T. Or, a tee.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Just ask Jordan to take absorb the Palestinians. Give them (Jordan) a huge amount of foreign-aid and investment (including from Israel). Jordan is a pretty stable constitutional monarchy, but resource-poor. Taking nearly 5 million Palestinians would substantially increase their population, but they took around a million Syrian refugees and remained stable. If the International community gave massive aid to this endeavor, it might work. I am, of course, ignoring the legitimate claims of sovereignty the Palestinians have over historical Palestine - but guessing a stable, economically-viable alternate solution might placate many. Just an idea, I don't work for the State Dept.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
I don't think economy first will work out well. Two state solution first and right of return for Palestinian refugees will need to come first.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-palestinians-plan-idUSKCN1TP2Q0
unfortunately wont' happen under Israel's or Palestinian leadership in place today.

There needs to be a big cooling off and dramatic shift in local politics. As long as it's Likud and Hamas in power in their respective regions, neither are going to be willing to back off their current stances.

That place needs a good, 2 (or even 3 state) solution that is enforced by international parties. No more rockets. No more displacing people to build settlements.

At this point, I don't see an answer to the Jerusalem problem other than potentially making it like Rome and having it a city state of it's own not run by any religious leadership, but open for all peoples

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
“I think the Trump peace plan is on ice indefinitely now,” said Dan Shapiro, a former U.S. ambassador to Israel under the Barack Obama administration. “They already understood that they couldn’t roll out a peace plan during an Israeli election or government formation, so now the same logic is going to apply. Anything in the plan that has the slightest hint of a concession or a hard ask to Israel will be political dynamite during a campaign.”

Peace proposal ....... oclueless would have bombed them already ....
BS.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Just ask Jordan to take absorb the Palestinians. Give them (Jordan) a huge amount of foreign-aid and investment (including from Israel). Jordan is a pretty stable constitutional monarchy, but resource-poor. Taking nearly 5 million Palestinians would substantially increase their population, but they took around a million Syrian refugees and remained stable. If the International community gave massive aid to this endeavor, it might work. I am, of course, ignoring the legitimate claims of sovereignty the Palestinians have over historical Palestine - but guessing a stable, economically-viable alternate solution might placate many. Just an idea, I don't work for the State Dept.
I don’t see why it is ok for Israel to accept millions of Jewish immigrants but not ok for Palestine to accept back their own Palestinian refugees. Asking Palestinians to be accepted by others is like asking Jews to be accepted by others as well only difference is the majority of the Jewish immigrants were never from there to begin with while the Palestinians were. Even more ironic is bringing them in to live on illegal settlements stolen from Palestinians in Palestine. This is why Peace is hard to achieve these days. Not only are settlements being built on Palestinian lands but cemeteries as well and then they say we can’t remove cemeteries as removal of Jewish cemeteries gets the Zionist extremists in the Likud parties all worked up into not accepting. This only complicated matters further from reaching peace between the two states.

Kushner’s peace plan is like an illegal occupier in your house telling you that I am going to give you some money so that you can have a better life and improve the quality of life for you where you live in your house but I will not move out and because I also live here now this house and land will Be registered to me now. In other words the illegal occupying occupants will remain in the house and on the property but are offering some bribery money now to make your life a little better for you as their peace plan proposal.o_O

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC