Trump Moves To Ruin Fuel Economy And Buy Back Farm Votes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Oct 9, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Looks like Trump is going to sign off on year round E15 in an effort to stave off losing farm votes and getting the ethanol industry to get behind him. It's too bad that he's too stupid to realise that the majority of drivers in this country do not want more ethanol added to our gas. It ruins engines, reduces mileage (and ends up costing us more money), and is bad for the environment. He's only doing this for the votes. And that's really pathetic.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/08/trump-ethanol-corn-831493

2. tshrimp, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I am with you on this. Why we continue down the road of ethanol is beyond me. It has been proven to do exactly what you stated, yet Trump is going down this road. I will not run that crap in my truck (E85), and even though it can take it, they recommend not to use it that often. My ATV is currently having issue, and assume it is because of the high amounts of ethanol (10%) in our fuels. I won't know until I break it down, but it is a safe bet.

3. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

4. Jason Honer Suspended

Jason Honer

Why is E15 bad for the environment? I thought it was lauded as being good for the environment when it was first introduced.

5. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Most fuel alcohol is derived from corn, because, reasons. Corn is a rather brutal crop: an annual that requires significant effort to grow. Hence, E15 is bad for the environment because of how bad corn farming is. If only we could find some other way to produce ethanol …

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I think the why could thoroughly be answered by “industrial farming”. If most of the crop production is owned by just two or three major players guess who has all the influence?

This is a perfect example of letting companies become so big they are a threat to governance itself.

King corn.

8. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Like Apple and Google :)?

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Exactly. Google especially given their integration into the security state.

10. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

It's not just the intensity of corn farming. Ethanol, itself is a major pollutant.

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/ethanol-environment-damage/

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

-"Tariffs are working"
    -Bailouts
    -"The Chinese are interfering in the election to help democrats and they are targeting our farmers".
    -Now this....

Nothing to see, Drumpf is simply telling us the truth that the "deep state" doesn't want you to know.

12. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Looks like we finally found something everyone in PRSI agrees on!

13. cube, Oct 9, 2018

cube macrumors P6

Brazil has sustainable ethanol production. It's not like anything goes.

14. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

using sugarcane, which is far, far more efficient for this process than corn.

Pollution wise comes from harvesting the corn (again sugarcane is easier to harvest) and converting to ethanol.

As to engines, issue comes with gaskets/hoses connecting the various parts and valve ware (general info)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2018 ---
    I bet your ATV has regular carb.
    Have issues idling?

15. cube, Oct 9, 2018

cube macrumors P6

Argentina's cars are not specially adapted like the Brazilian ones, so they just recently mandated an increase to E12.

They would like to eventually take it up to E25 after studies are performed.

16. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Trump's using his ethanol plans to rile up his base in Iowa tonight. I have to wonder if they are stupid enough to believe his nonsense? He's telling them the Dems will end ethanol if they are elected. Does he really believe the crap that spews out of his mouth? The Dems have been behind ethanol for ages, well before he even heard of it. If they would get behind getting rid of it, they'd have my vote, but that'snever going to happen. It is and always has been a bipartisan issue. He really is a moron and his base eats up his BS.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/410683-trump-dems-will-end-ethanol

17. cube macrumors P6

Well, hopefully what will be ended is unsustainable ethanol.

18. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Ethanol is bad for the environment, as the EPA has shown. It's not just the source of the ethanol that's an issue.

19. cube macrumors P6

It can have adverse health effects, but it does not mean sustainable ethanol is not better than burning petrol for the environment.

20. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Which is better for you, lung cancer or brain cancer? Regardless of the source of the ethanol creating material, ethanol fuel is still bad for the environment. It is also bad for your vehicles and combustion engines of all types that are designed to burn petrochemicals. Unless you are driving a race car, ethanol is not good for your vehicle. It is not carbon neutral, as the farm lobbyists/big agriculture/ethanol producers and others would have you believe. It's a pollutant, as the above linked articles show.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...n-petrol-for-the-environment-new-study-finds/

It is also energy inefficient and a pollutant.

https://fee.org/articles/ethanol-is-bad-for-cars-the-environment-and-america/

We will be much better off when we switch to electric and hydrogen vehicles and completely abandon the internal combustion engine. Oh, the Brazilian sugar cane they use for ethanol production? They're cutting down rain forests to grow it, thereby damaging the very biodiversity of the planet and an important component of our atmospheres health.

21. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

OMG!

Christ on a bike!

Ethanol, burns cleaner, makes the engines last longer and better for environment.

You can make more HP on e85 then you would on ethanol free gasoline. It has been proven time and time again by performance shops across the country.

This debate has been debunked and squashed by the top 1-500 performance shops in US.

The only down side to ethanol, e10, e15 or e85, your gas mileage suffers when compared to 100% gasoline.

Ethanol (Alcohol), burns cleaner. You can observe it with your own eyes, by burning an 1oz of alcohol vs 1 oz 100% of gasoline.

So stop it, just stop spreading false rumors!

22. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

23. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1507-everything-you-need-to-know-about-e85/

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/drag_racing_with_e85/

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/make-1000-hp-ford-coyote-e85/

Stop listening to keyboard jockeys, who get their oil changed at local jiffy lube and never lost a 10mm socket. Pick up a phone and call Underground Racing or Heffner Performance. Or speak with mechanics in top 10 NHRA teams.

One more time. E85, E10, e15, is good for your engine and environment.

24. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Yes it increases octane which is great for racing applications.

But leaves a lot to be desired in daily driving and longevity of engines.

25. KGB7, Oct 9, 2018

KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

The study was funded by automakers and by oil companies, both of which have a financial interest in reducing ethanol use. The federal Department of Energy has criticized the study for testing engines it says are known to have durability problems anyway, for failing to test the engines running E10 (the most common fuel sold in the U.S. today), and for not providing a baseline test of the engines running on straight gasoline (E-zero).

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...engines-from-running-on-e15-ethanol/index.htm
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2018 ---
    You have zero proof.
    I have posted links that clearly state engine longevity. If a racing engine lasts longer under extreme conditions, then your daily commuter will last even longer.

Furthermore, you haven’t read both articles in 2 minutes. Let alone absorb the information and constructed a valuable argument.:rolleyes: