Trump Nobel Peace Prize

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Fthree, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Fthree macrumors 6502a

if Trump can successfully denuclearize the Korean Peninsula do you think he should be a candidate for the Nobel Peace Price for avoiding a potential Nuclear War?

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Absolutely but it will never happen with his approach. He's giving them a seat at the presidential table without getting jack **** in return other than an empty promise that no other president before him was gullible enough to buy.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

At this point I could ask if Trump will get 10 years or less.

Both have about the same validity.

4. 0007776 Suspended

Sure, but he would have to contribute something to the process besides a propaganda win for the North. So far the South is the only ones making strides towards improving things with the North.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If Trump gets NK to denuclearise, then it would be quite an achievement. However, the Nobel organisation has been burned recently by awarding the peace prize prematurely to politicians before the long-term impact of their policies could be evaluated (Obama) or revealing themselves subsequently to be unworthy (Aung San Suu Kyi, for instance, who was awarded the prize for her non-violent struggle but who repeatedly stated in interviews her struggle was non-violent only because she assessed violence would not work, not because of a moral stance). I doubt they would consider an award for Trump unless the Korean peace lasted for quite awhile.

6. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I am very skeptic NOKO would agree and follow through with it. They will ask for something outrageous and won’t agree or comply with verification.

But assuming they do, of course Trump deserves it. Obama received one for absolutely nothing. Did I say absolutely nothing?

7. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

It just amazes me that Trump has taken a hardline stance against NK and not backed down and now there are peace talks. It’s great to think of all the lives that are potentially saved by this man by being so. That’s an achievement that cannot be overlooked no matter how much a person dislikes Trump.

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

agree on the latter part for sure. not surprised that the haters are still bewildered or still hating though. it's like taking a person who doesn't know a thing about boxing or hockey to a prize fight or a Stanley Cup Game and seeing how confused they are about the reaction of the fans. The pool of Americans who have no clue on how to get crap done are deer in the headlights stunned when someone actually does stuff. They are so used to looking Presidential and smooth talking BS with near zero results that actually help the majority of America that they have settled for expensive good looking plans that support non-citizens and other countries more than our own working class people that are what make up America.

9. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

There is no more proof that this will happen under Trump than it did under Obama or Bush before him, the only difference is they refused to give him a seat at the table with nothing tangible in return. You'll also notice that Republicans are remaining silent, not even they want to touch this deal.

10. 0007776 Suspended

The talks that are happening are because South Korea elected a president that took a friendly tack towards North Korea. Time will tell if that was a wise idea or not. Talks could have happened between North Korea and any previous US president. The difference is in the past there was a recognition that unless there were significant changes as a result of lower level talks first it was just going to be a propaganda win for the North and go nowhere. Again time will tell if the previous administrations were right or if they should have dropped the tough stance and engaged.

11. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Come on.... you seriously think that none of the big bomb banter between NK and Trump did anything to push this? The request was Trump specific.

12. 0007776 Suspended

Nope, Trump trining to make the world think that his “button” is bigger than Kim’s had little to nothing to do with it. Although, possibly seeing that Trump blinked when the North passed his red line may have made the North think they can get a lot more from him in negotiations.

13. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

You have to agree though if Trump can get a denuclearization agreement signed with HIS name on it it would be one of the the greatest things any president has ever done. Can we at least agree on that much?

14. 0007776 Suspended

Possibly, although given Trump’s track record at failing to make good deals I would bet that it would be more comparable to Chamberlain arranging a deal with Germany to prevent WWII.

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

16. darksithpro, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Obama, Hillary, liberals and Democrats alike would've never taken this approach either, thus the status quo. If Trump manages anything meaningful with KJU, this will prove that a more hard-line approach is effective in regards to Asia pacific diplomacy. To be fair though, if progress is made Trump cannot take full credit, as I bet this strategy is coming from Mattis and McMaster and Trump is just doing and saying whatever they recommend.

17. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I can’t stand him and I have to admit, him pulling this off would be one of the greatest presidential achievements in my lifetime.

19. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The North Koreans have been trying to get a face to face meeting with the US president for decades, as a way to gain legitimacy for their regime. Trump is the first one dumb enough to agree to do so with no preconditions or specific concessions. It is incredibly naive to think that this meeting represents any willingness at all of the North Koreans to agree to any meaningful concessions. The existence of these talks is not an accomplishment by Trump. It is a sign that Trump has been conned by the North Koreans. Suggesting that he’s made some meaningful progress toward the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula is laughable.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

LOL. Phony nominations for a phony leader.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2018 ---
    BTW, let’s not pretend that even if this works (which is not unlikely), this was due to any brilliance on Trump’s part. Don’t forget, until recently we were concerned that Trump’s reckless bluster made it more likely NK would start a nuclear war. If this actually results in the opposite, it’ll be because Trump lucked into it, not because of any special insight he has...and the Nobel committee doesn’t award luck.

21. bopajuice, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Before you guys start sending in your nominations I would wait for the actual meeting to take place. We will then see if Trump's strategy had anything to do with it. I will then say he did a good job.

Whether he played hardball to get deal done or not, he is still a narcicistic buffoon who disgraces the position he holds just about every day. Regardless, morons and idiots have been known to accomplish great things, not sure I would award them for it.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

3 words: Axis of Evil.

Same hardline big bomb banter was made by GWB, and look at where it got us.

You don't attain peace through tyranny and then expect to gloat about how you brought peace when you are being just as hardline as the regime being hardline to its people. This is akin to threatening a gang war against the schoolyard bully for picking on a kid in kindergarten.

As far as peace goes, those involved have to WANT it to obtain it. You don't do that under threat.

BL.

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This is beyond belief. Obama gets a deal with Iran to prevent them from developing nuclear weapons and Republicans scoff at it. Trump gets conned by the North Koreans into attending a meeting without getting any concessions and he’s a miracle worker. Give me a break.

24. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Here’s another just as valid question. Will Trump cure every illness ever known to man?

If North Korea denuclearises, it won’t be because of a nuclear crazy buffoon (Trump). Also, he has insisted on expanding the nuclear weapon arsenal of the US. His answer always seems to be being more weapons to get rid of the threat of weapons. A second hole doesn’t stop the boat from sinking.

Trump winning a nobel peace prize. What a joke!