Trump now threatening Europe with sanctions over Iran

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, May 13, 2018.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

2. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Oh, I hope the EU countries stop trading, so then we can find out how many corrupt Obama and EU officials where paid off financially to get the deal. Crooked, corrupt Dem administration! The TRUTH is going to come out FOLKS. Why do you think John Kerry went to Iran to carry out Shadow Diplomacy?

https://twitter.com/Raman_Ghavami/status/993932711315329025

"H.J.Ansari Zarif’s senior advisor: “If Europeans stop trading with Iran and don’t put pressure on US then we will reveal which western politicians and how much money they had received during nuclear negotiations to make #IranDeal happen.” That would be interesting."

https://twitter.com/BanafshehZand/status/995382530567213057?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/05/oh-boy-iranian-regime-threatens-to-release-names-of-western-officials-who-took-bribes-to-pass-nuke-deal/

"Looking fwd to finding out![​IMG]#HosseinJaberiAnsari @JZarif ’s sr advsr: “If #Europeans stop trading with #Iran & don’t put pressure on #USA then we'll reveal which #Western #politicians & how much money they receivd durng #nuclear #negotiations to make #IranDeal happen.” #JCPOA"

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

[​IMG]

It is funny how EU citizens have much better rights that those in the US, and we don't invade outer countries whenever we feel like it, or shoot our citizens, but hey, our officials are the bad guys.

4. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

What rights would those be? Do EU citizens have the right to bear arms? Do EU citizens have the right to free speech, even if said free speech can be classified as hate, or religious speech that offends others? If you look at the Bill Of Rights, the Yankee's have more freedom than Europeans.

5. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

When it comes to the things that actually matter we do. For instance, maternal leave with pay. 25 days annual leave standard. Universal access to healthcare. Collective bargaining in employment. I’ll take those over the right to fap over my rifle collection any day.

6. DanielDD macrumors 6502

You can keep your right to bear arms. Thanks but no thanks. I much prefer the right not to be shot by some random guy on the street.

Seriously, a quick google search and you can find that European countries rank the highest in every freedom / human rights index. Try Freedom House, Human Rights Risk Index, Universal Human Rights Index, and so forth.

7. TiggrToo, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

But...but...we've got the United States Constitution...but...but...we're the greatest country isn the world, nay the galaxy, nay the Universe!

As an outside looking in I've noticed the same attitude from both some of my fellow Brits and now some of my fellow Americans. Until you get a perspective then way too many folk get pigeonholed into a singular line of thinking. National pride is great n'all, but one needs to temper that with a heavy dose of reality...

8. VulchR, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

UK citizens do, but with sensible constraints.

Again, in the UK people are free mostly to say what they want unless as you say they are hate-mongering. Given the violent history of Europe compared to the US, this makes sense, particularly with so many cultures packed into such a small area.

Have you read the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights or the European Convention on Human Rights?

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Those two things are exactly why we are more rounded and less arrogant on the world stage. Nobody here wants the right to bear arms and nobody wants people abusing the right to mask hatred as freedom of speech. Both of the rights you mention here are what is causing huge problems at the moment in the US. Your people either abuse the rights or don’t know how to handle them safely.

10. jerwin macrumors 68020

It's almost as if you guys are afraid of the prospect of paramilitary political parties.

Is there something about the SA that offends you?

11. DanielDD macrumors 6502

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

12. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

The GDPR, which Facebook didn't want to implement over here sounds pretty good.

13. jerwin macrumors 68020

You don't think that the SturmAbteilung was "broken"?

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The only thing Trump has united is racist white people, outside of that he leads by dividing, by threats and by bullying. This is the vision of those who elected him and they're now getting what they want. It is what it is and we basically just have to let it run it's course and do damage control when his term is up.

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Not offended, that’s a poor choice of words and makes little sense. I think we are more afraid of general citizens being armed, I certainly don’t trust our society to cope with that type of pressure. Americans aren’t capable as it is so I doubt we’d be any different apart from our general population not being interested in firearms to begin with.

When I see the knife crime issue in our neighbouring countries capital, it just hits home how luck we are not to have easy access to guns. One class of 5 year old children being murdered was enough for us even if that is collateral damage over the pond.

16. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

'better rights', really? u don't even have free speech, so shut up :)

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It might not be codified like in the US, but Europeans do have free speech. Not to the extent we have in the US, but they have enough to have sensible political dialogue. Besides, Europeans have laws that prevents work exploitation and offers worker protection. We have paid vacations in the US, but only as much as our employer is willing to offer. The law requires zero vacation days, zero sick days in the US. Europeans have vacation and sick days that's codified in their laws. So which would you prefer: flapping your gums as much as you want or paid time off? So many times I fell we're a backwaters superpower.

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Things that actually matter? You can't dismiss the right to free speech as something that doesn't matter. Hope you just meant the right to bear arms in that statement (which I disagree with but understand)

But who decides what free speech is really masked hatred. That's why free speech has to be absolute (except for libel/slander, yelling fire in a movie theater, etc)....someone could always make a case that some joke they don't like is really hate speech disguised as humor. That's why we don't lock people up for hate speech, the line is too line.
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2018 ---
    You shouldn't have to choose. You should have both. But yeah, I'll take free speech over paid time off. Without free speech, NOTHING would ever change. The government could shut down every media outlet that opposes them, people could be jailed for saying the town mayor is corrupt, etc.

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

As far as I know you can say whatever you like in Europe as long as it’s not racist, homophobic, threatening, committing libel etc etc. It’s not as free in theory as in the US, but I’m fine with that because it accounts for people who are incapable of being decent. Then again it’s not uncommon for Americans to be arrested for their views at times so even then it’s not absolute.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Right, I have a problem with the racist/homophobic part. That's not always black and white. Plus, I'd rather bigots speak up rather than whisper, this way, you know who to watch out for.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’d rather not give them a voice so they they can abuse or bully others whilst cowardly hiding behind the law. I’d say it’s pretty easy to spot a racist or homophobic view to be honest.

22. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Trump is going full bore Israel ONLY. Hawaii needs help and what would he rather do than help Hawaii? Help Israel.

He's becoming a danger to the world.

23. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I agree, and this is one area where I differ with many others on the Left. I think that suppressing this kind of speech may have short-term benefits, but will end up costing in the long term. Pushing hate speech to the fringes, to the underground, allows resentment and hatred to fester, making it forbidden makes it tantalizing and rebellious to latch onto. If we just let bigots speak and come at them with counterarguments and criticism rather than censorship and violence, it will be obvious who the real idiots are. If we suppress what they say that makes it seem like we're afraid of them, that they have real power, that they might have a point that we don't want other people to realize.

24. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

MIGA.

25. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac