Trump offers to 'destroy' Texas senator to help Rockwall sheriff

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Feb 7, 2017.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

this law that allows the police to steal money trump supports it of course. but the thing is the threat to destroy someones career over it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...s-destroy-texas-senator-help-rockwall-sheriff

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

asset forfeiture is abused in plenty of places, it needs to be gone.

4. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

for sure. but what gets me is trumps threat. thats not very presidential it is just bully.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2017 ---
    well he is working on it as hard as he can.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Confession time: was reading the thread title and before pursuing the link, sort of imagining weighing your average Texas sheriff against your average Texas senator, and thinking,,,, what to do, what to do...

I am so bad. And, I so don't care right now. :p Apologies to Texans present.

Apparently Trump was joking or at least people in the room laughed, so we should let a guy make a joke, I suppose. This one time...

6. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

And rinse.and repeat.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Hell no, I made a little scoreboard. That particular option's gone now!

8. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

stylinexpat

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Joking about destroying someone's career ... what a knee slapper!

[​IMG]

10. jerwin macrumors 68000

But it's so politically useful. Wouldn't you like to impoverish the political demographic that's least likely to vote for you?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2017 ---
    Rest assurred, Donald Trump takes his shitlist very seriously. No funny business.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I feel somewhat chastened by the feedback,,,, but I did say I so don't care right now. It's the gaslighting...

12. Zenithal macrumors 603

I just remembered this. I have no idea when the original roast came out.

13. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

It seemed to me like he was attempting to make a joke. However, as the President, he needs to choose his words more carefully. As far as the Texas bill goes, it seems like requiring a conviction to seize assets rather than just a charge is probably not a bad thing. I'm sure I could find good examples for both sides of the argument though.

14. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes he better not give up his day job to become a comedian.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Normally I would agree. But a President shouldn't joke about such a thing. It just sounded so wrong. I can't imagine any other President making it sound any better either.

I would imagine the horror on the face of Republicans if a President Hillary made a joke talking about destroying someone's career. They‘d be pointing and saying "look look...see how ruthless she is?" So why is it okay for Trump to make such a joke?

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Personally I figure you had to be there. I grant you the point about Clinton. However, I don't see why the Democrats have to become rabid, knee-jerk carpetbombers of Trump on everything just because the right was like that (and will remain like that) about Clinton until the lights go out on the planet

Save it for when he puts someone's money behind his mouth and goes after that Texas state senator. Otherwise, once you rise to the bait Trump puts out there, he doubles down on it to amp up the distraction and we'd be hearing about the senator in question for a couple more weeks.

Or maybe where I worked we just played faux-hardball more often... I remember being in a meeting where heads butted on whether to back up a database before trying a bit of a highwire rescue of some transactions.... one thing led to another and eventually someone suggested one way to resolve the impasse was "just put a bomb under Jerry's chair and get on with the day already."

Everyone laughed. We backed up the database. I grant you Jerry was no Texas state senator. I still think going nuts over this incident just feeds Trump's paranoia over the media.

17. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I agree -- there is no reason to carpetbomb Trump on everything because the right did it to Clinton.

No, the reason to carpetbomb Trump on everything is because Trump himself is unfit for this office. He is, in fact, a malign figure who in is self-serving attempts to aggrandize himself will eventually destroy this country.

He was voted into this office with the support of nearly half the voters in the country, however, so there is no point in trying to remove him from office (at least not until he does something impeachable). The only useful task at this point is to educate the public wherever possible, on both this man's personal beliefs and on the effects of the actions he is taking in office.

And yes, I could be wrong; I could be misreading all his narcissism, his racism, his nepotism, his philandering, his constant insults, his bullying demeanor, and missing the heart of gold hidden deep beneath all the slime. But it is on him to prove he has a heart; until he does, I'm not going to give him an inch.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't disagree with most of your post and particularly that part, except that educating the public on Trump is best done by pointing out where his and the GOP's legislative efforts are not supportive of ordinary people.

As you said, half the country thinks Trump was the man of the hour in our recent elections. They're still happy he's prez (or anyway still happy Hillary didn't win).

So the right now watches the left erupt over Trump joshing a bunch of good ol' boy sheriffs about a state senator whose reform ideas the sheriffs don't like. The alert part of the right immediately rummages around in its collective brain for the last time a Democrat aired a wisecrack about anything, and they come up with Hillary calling them all deplorables.

Meanwhile the alert part of the left, the half of the country that's supposed to appreciate how wrong Mr. Trump was to talk about destroying the careeer of a Texas state senator, is still busy gloating that Atlanta managed to **** up the Superbowl like that when they had it nailed at halftime.

It's not worth carpetbombing Trump over ordinary hyperbole (even from Trump there's hyperbole sometimes), although that doesn't mean I think there's any heart of gold under his narcissistic armor. I don't know what's in his heart. What's in my mind is not sinking to the level of deconstructing every last word a controversial figure utters, as the right certainly did during Clinton's campaign.

I think the Texas senator has a point on assets seizure reform, btw, but that's just another opinion. That senator can probably cash in on this "career-destroying" incident next time he runs for office. Name recognition and name dropping being what they are these days.

To me the takeaway here is to pick the battles worth fighting and keep an eye on Trump's law-signing pen. Let the Texas state Senate figure out if they have a beef with our President.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's not everything. It's everything appalling. Everything stupid. Everything destructive, untrue, and self-serving.

Whatever is left, we're okay with that.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Taco bowls!

21. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Hmm. Honestly, I have to admit that I think at least some of the GOP's legislative efforts are supportive of ordinary people. I'm not a leftist, myself; I tend to fall somewhere in the middle, and find valid policy points on both the left and the right.

My problem, ultimately, is not that the GOP is acting in a way that will harm the country. It is that Trump is an unqualified and self-centered fool who cannot help but harm the country. The guy simply doesn't have what it takes to actually manage the kind of complex and enormous organization that is the federal government; he may have some ability in individual one-on-one negotiations, but he's sure to screw up long-term relationships.

The federal government is not a place where if you fail, you can declare bankruptcy and move on to some other project. If Trump makes a mistake here, he'll have to live with it and continue to operate, as all other Presidents have done. I don't see him managing this well the first time he really goofs up and throws one of his usual tantrums...

22. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Don't worry he is doing that himself. Only matter of time before the so-called President goes too far. He can't control himself, like a petulant child.

23. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Gone, or reasonably managed without corruption?

24. HEK, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Asset forfeiture should only occur after conviction and by court order only. Leaving it to the law enforcement agency who then retains the profits of the forfeiture is complete setup for abuse and corruption.

Too many times, the precinct buys a new cappuccino machine with the confiscated cash, which is just plain wrong. If anything, the proceeds should go to charity like homeless shelter. Not into cops pockets.

The sheriff with 14 years experience talking to the so-call President about forfeture knows full well that almost all larger US currency bills have traces of cocaine on them if they have been in circulation. Having a canine alert on money is almost a forgone conclusion, and no truthful indication that the person holding those bills is trafficing drugs.

If you are travelling to buy a car, or some other item for cash. You risk forfeture of that money by the police. No charges need be filed, not even an arrest. It's leagalized theft by law enforcement. This needs to be stopped in all states, all juristdictions.

I'm always dismayed that the very people, law enforcement, that we should be able to trust, are in fact quite corrupt in how they conduct themselves. Always seeking their own agenda rather than justice or truth.

Another interesting thing to note is how you can no longer deposit cash into your own bank account without ID. The government is systematically making annonymous cash transactions a thing of the past.

25. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Agreed!