Trump on French/European wine tariffs

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I don’t like Trump and don’t agree with the majority of what he says but I must give credit where he needs credit. The wine thing with France he seems to have a point with. I am not sure if I am mistaken or not but the tariffs rate seems to be double to triple per bottle on wine when you compare what US charges and what France charges. Feel free to chime in and correct me where I may be wrong.

I support fair trade although I don’t really support Trump.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/the-french-wine-tariffs-trump-complained-about-max-out-at-29-cents-a-bottle?_amp=true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/fact-check-does-france-put-steep-tariffs-on-us-wine?amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eater.com/platform/amp/2018/11/13/18091270/trump-wine-tweet-france-tariffs

We must also consider though that France and Europe are huge buyers of US Treasuries. Have you guys seen the numbers that the European countries purchase in US Treasuries every month? Now imagine if the US had to purchase the same amount of Treasuries for each European country.. The info is linked below.

http://ticdata.treasury.gov/Publish/mfh.txt

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
The US charges between 8 and 15 cents per bottle on French wine. The EU assesses 11 to 29 cents per bottle of US wine. If an extra thirty cents is really discouraging French wine lovers from sampling our very fine Napa vintages, I'd be quite surprised.

Cherry picking trade commodities is ridiculous. I'm sure, for instance, that the US has a strong trade surplus with France when it comes to items such as tobacco, computer software, and aircraft engines.

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I think as usual Trump has the wrong end of the stick.

Tariffs are not the issue.

The French drink French wine.
The Italians drink… you guessed it! Italian wine.
Spanish?
Australians? New Zealanders… same.
I could go on…

The Brits? We have a miniscule (and hellishly expensive as a result) wine industry. So whatever we drink is almost always imported. Of course when the climate change makes us into a productive wine growing region things may yet change.

Seems it is only the US (again?) demanding things are done their way and that the rest of the world has to prop up the US wine industry.
Why?
Plenty of better wines available.

PS. BTW, last time I was in the US American wines were all that was on offer. So…
[doublepost=1542201335][/doublepost]
The US charges between 8 and 15 cents per bottle on French wine. The EU assesses 11 to 29 cents per bottle of US wine. If an extra thirty cents is really discouraging French wine lovers from sampling our very fine Napa vintages, I'd be quite surprised.

Cherry picking trade commodities is ridiculous. I'm sure, for instance, that the US has a strong trade surplus with France when it comes to items such as tobacco, computer software, and aircraft engines.
Exactly right.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I thought most French wine was exported to the owners of the French vineyards (namely to the PRC). In any case, there's no comparing French and American wines - French wine is simply better, if you can find it.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
A German now living in America?
I was born in the US, there was some crazy man in Germany in the late 30's that prompted my grandparents to GTFO fast. They returned after the war and then decided to leave for good when they saw their country getting occupied and split up. They waited to immigrate to the US and was eventually allowed in.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I thought most French wine was exported to the owners of the French vineyards (namely to the PRC). In any case, there's no comparing French and American wines - French wine is simply better, if you can find it.
That's a bit of an oversimplification. There are some superb California wines, those towards the top of the market, that compare quite favorably to equivalent French chateaux.

But in the more moderate price ranges, say $10 to $15 per bottle, I'd say that the typical French wine is markedly superior to an equivalent California vintage. More complex flavors, less sweet and fruity, and without the excessive oakiness that many California wines have. French chateaux also tend to specialize. You won't find different varietals growing in the same vineyard. And the smaller, more moderate French Chateaux don't feel a need to produce a range of wine for marketing purposes. If they, and their terroire, are good at making Burgundy- that's all they make. They won't produce a Pinot Grigio or Merlot just to fill out their sales catalog.

I think those factors, far more than tariffs, explain why France has a trade surplus with the US in wine. The French wines in the $15 - $50/bottle price range are more interesting, with more subtle flavors, than their US equivalents. And on a $50 bottle of wine, a few cents either way in tariffs or taxes, makes little difference at all.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I was born in the US, there was some crazy man in Germany in the late 30's that prompted my grandparents to GTFO fast. They returned after the war and then decided to leave for good when they saw their country getting occupied and split up. They waited to immigrate to the US and was eventually allowed in.
Ah right an American German. I spend a lot of time in Germany with work, mostly flying out there for a half day meeting and then going back to Wales because they’d rather do that than Skype lol.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
What we need to do in these threads is work not forwards from what Trump actually does, but backwards from the fact he never really knows or understands what he's doing. If he's not stealing, lying or ripping someone off - such as aspiring real-estate students, construction workers, landscapers, laborers, American voters, his father, the tax system - then he's a fish out of water.

California vineyards produce fine wines. There are local wineries in almost any climate who manage small-businesses by producing great quality wines. But the tariffs DO NOT WORK. The people buying fine, imported wines aren't switching to buying non-imported because of this. Yeah, Trump is going NATIONALIST - American first - when he orders room service with his mistress because he has to pay $2 more on an imported bottle instead of the slightly-lower price of a bottle of Napa Valley's finest.

One thing Trump should think about (but won't), is where his tariffs were supposed to help the most, but went blue. The border, iron counties, coal country, heavy farming towns, auto manufacturers.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
That's a bit of an oversimplification. There are some superb California wines, those towards the top of the market, that compare quite favorably to equivalent French chateaux.

But in the more moderate price ranges, say $10 to $15 per bottle, I'd say that the typical French wine is markedly superior to an equivalent California vintage. More complex flavors, less sweet and fruity, and without the excessive oakiness that many California wines have. French chateaux also tend to specialize. You won't find different varietals growing in the same vineyard. And the smaller, more moderate French Chateaux don't feel a need to produce a range of wine for marketing purposes. If they, and their terroire, are good at making Burgundy- that's all they make. They won't produce a Pinot Grigio or Merlot just to fill out their sales catalog.

I think those factors, far more than tariffs, explain why France has a trade surplus with the US in wine. The French wines in the $15 - $50/bottle price range are more interesting, with more subtle flavors, than their US equivalents. And on a $50 bottle of wine, a few cents either way in tariffs or taxes, makes little difference at all.
That, and all the crap they put in US wine...

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
Ah right an American German. I spend a lot of time in Germany with work, mostly flying out there for a half day meeting and then going back to Wales because they’d rather do that than Skype lol.
My parents are German citizens, I try and go back to visit family once a year. :D

DearthnVader

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Reactions: stylinexpat

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I buy my cheese from Wisconsin, whisky and bourbon from Tennessee/Kentucky, and I don't drink wine.
I don’t drink but I do know when cost for one company go up by 25% it creates opportunity for another company to raise prices by 10% while still allowing their prices to be 15% cheaper which means consumers still pay end up paying more.
If Verizon jacked up their prices by another 25% then T-mobile could charge 10% more and still get people to pay more.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Murican wine doesn't sell well in France because French wine is so inexpensive there. Heck, the last time I was in France, it was cheaper to order wine than Coca-cola.:eek: One guess what I'd rather order with my dinner?;)

As for American wine in France...why bother ordering that? I can get US hooch back home. When in France, eat baguette with French wine for breakfast no less. Trying buying some coin store cognac back home before noon.:mad: