Trump on the plus side, seen from a leftie's POV

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Feb 28, 2017.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Here's one thing anyway. Like other presidents before him, Mr. Trump will sign a measure supporting historically black colleges and universities, known as HBCUs. Federal inititiaves in this regard have been promoted by presidents back to the 1980s.
    One thing that is different this time around is that Trump plans to move the HBCUs initiative back under the direct control of the White House. It is currently under the aegis of.. the Department of Education... so I dunno what that says about the prospects for the Dept of Ed (nor for Mrs. DeVos) but that's for some other thread.

Make of that what you will, continuation of support for the historically black colleges and universities is still a step in the direction of keeping a campaign promise to help improve the lives of black Americans, leaving aside all that Trump meanwhile implied about the current state of their lives. Most of them did not vote for now President Trump but anyway the schools will no doubt appreciate whatever support the White House drums up for them during his term of office. I look forward to hearing from those universities and colleges what form that support takes.

I look forward to other additions to this thread, too...

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

3. Herdfan macrumors 6502

As I posted in the other thread on this specific topic, the Dems better hope he doesn't improve their lives too much or he might cut into a reliable voting block.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2017 ---
    Not really. I think her point is what he is doing that the left can get support. This is just one example. Notice she hopes for more additions.....

4. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Right, and actually you're both right... I hadn't seen the other thread and intended this one to stack up multiple items that lefties agree are positive contributions from the new President either orders he signs or reports of stuff he does or says etc. To be a good sport --the loyal opposition-- and to be fair as well...

I figured it would save thread clutter, having one thread sort of the way people now discuss "What are you reading now" or "What movie are you watching" in the Community thread. If even lefties think something is positive from this administration then how controversial could it be, so the thread would probably just be a sort of summary of things we think he's done that are good to great and each item reported wouldn't get that much back and forth posting.

otoh come to think of it, it's possible Trump will initiate things we like that the right doesn't really go for. He's already done that as far as Congress is concerned by wanting to jack up the military budget and take the cost of that out of stuff like allocatoins to state dept and foreign aid. But then as a leftie I didn't go for the extra military bump to begin with, the GOP already put in a bump which I thought was enough.

Still maybe let's see what happens after this speech tonight. There might be initiatives both right and left are willing to support. We can always just ask the mods to delete this thread or merge it into the other one about the HBCUs if nothing else pops into it after awhile. I'll try to remember to check back on it...