Trump on Trade - Is There Nothing This Man Can Do Right?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by poloponies, Nov 6, 2017.

1. poloponies Suspended

Trump criticized Japanese automakers for not building cars in US when 75% of all Japanese cars sold here are already built here.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-japan-cars-built-in-the-us-2017-11

We look like morons to the rest of the world because we elect morons to represent us.

You'd think the "smartest businessman in the world" would know something about business. On the flip side, once he learns about all the Japanese manufacturing already in the US, he'll find a way to take credit for it.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

As I said in another thread - very sad that the President doesn't realize that (for example) 3 of Honda's plants are here in the US.

3. poloponies thread starter Suspended

The sad part is that he finds a way to misstate or misrepresent facts everywhere he goes on these clown tours. It's one thing to be a public idiot in the US, where a third of the voters think he's the second coming but quite another to confirm his ignorance of the world over and over again on the world stage.

4. Zenithal macrumors G3

Not sure which is worse. The glaring stupidity of saying this and something similar months ago to the Germans, or calling the Japanese people samurais... A ball gag may be required the rest of this trip.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Here's some more insanity:

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...r-stock-markets-success-ive-always-been-great

President Trump appeared to take credit for the stock market’s success on Saturday.

Trump told reporters on Air Force One that “the reason our stock market is so successful is because of me," according to a pool report.

“I’ve always been great with money, I’ve always been great with jobs, that’s what I do. And I’ve done it well, I’ve done it really well, much better than people understand and they understand I’ve done well,” he said.

6. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Even if all Hondas were made in Japan and all VWs in Germany, what US car would make sense in the Japanese or European markets?

Close to none.

7. poloponies thread starter Suspended

Must also be why bankruptcies occur with such frequency, he does bankruptcy so much better than anyone that it just inspires others to follow his lead. Same for civil fraud lawsuits.

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

He doesn't know anything and doesn't think about anything, nor does he research anything.

He wanted to form a cyber-security team with Russia. What does that tell you about his (non)thought-(non)process?

9. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, to be completely honest, he got the idea for the joint Russia cyber security team after a one-on-one meeting with Putin. Trump doesn't understand "cyber" anything beyond his fascination with Twitter.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

At best it will take decades for the US to live this down; at worst the rest of the world will never again have faith to follow the US’s lead on anything. Its not just that Trump is an idiot, it’s the fact that enough Americans believed in him to elect him and still do. Which makes us look like idiots. How on earth could we ever convince the rest of the world that we won’t ever make the same mistake again?

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I think somehow we'll eventually erase Donald Trump from our national memory. Something sorta like the TV show Dallas when they decided to ex post facto make the entire season seven into a dream. Or Millard Fillmore.

The problem with the US selling cars in Japan is this: US cars aren't really engineered for Japanese streets, highways, parking lots and garages. The Japanese drive on left, and for some reason US carmakers can't be bothered to make right-hand drive vehicles. And Japanese car dealers offer a level of service and customer support that is unknown in the US. It is very expensive to develop a dealership network in Japan (Ford just pulled out). And without a nationwide dealer network, its hard to build a sustainable volume. Part of the problem is Japanese trade policy. But 90% of the problem is structural, and tied to the sort of cars Americans want, buy, and make.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Literally no defence for still supporting Trump. That said people still support Brexit. And the Spanish for their Charlie Foxtrot in Catalonia.