Trump orders tariffs on $50 billion worth of Chinese goods

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lowendlinux, Mar 22, 2018.

1. lowendlinux, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...h-of-chinese-goods/ar-BBKzqsH?ocid=spartanntp

Dow's down 650 so far..

Depending on what Cheeto decides to tax will decide whether I support or not, but Chucky is already patting him on the back which makes me uncomfortable.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

DJIA down 723 right now, according to the AP. To bring back in Ron-isms from Lizard Lick Towing, this is going to go over as well as a pregnant pole vaulter.

BL.

4. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Something #45 can ceratinly claim as 100% due to his effort.

Chunky?

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The big question here is how much more are consumers willing to pay in order to make these industries boom in America. At the moment, we simply can't keep up with the demand. It's like saying we'll only use American drilled oil, great but gas will cost $30 a gallon.

6. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

Senator Schumer

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Oh! Chucky! Brain ninja added a 'n', Chunky.
    Thanks
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2018 ---
    Methods of transporting goods and services is rapidly changing (electric, bio-diesel, etc)
    Efficiency of system is improving.

Demand for gasoline is falling, so prices likely will never go above $8/gal, and even then might not go above $4/gal

8. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

IMO this is 100% trying to get the Chinese to stop putting pressure on the North Koreans, so that Pyongyang pulls out of negotiations and Donnie can go back to pretending he’s a military strongman or whatever.

Can’t someone just bundle Trump in the back of a van and replace him with a lookalike or something? Let’s face it, if someone did that who would actually care?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Welcome to my world.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

China just responded. Tariffs on US pork, aluminum, and other goods in response to Trump's tariffs. This just caused any tech production to skyrocket, as companies are going to raise prices to cover the costs.

Thanks, Trump.

BL.

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

He needs to impose tariffs on his foreign-made hats that are way too big for all his supporters under 300 pounds.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

He needs to impose a tariff on his mouth.

BL.

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

We’d have a surplus before he won the primaries, national debt would be gone, he’d be a hero. Then stiff out on the bill.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm skeptical whether he will be able to implement this without a bill from Congress. Tax policy tends to be firmly in congressional territory. My suspicion is that this will end up in the courts.

15. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/ec...ting-states-may-get-hit-hardest-trade-n859396

The point is who pays the price for all this. Government has nothing to lose. It is the American people that have the most to lose. They pay more for goods of which the American government profits off of and from. As I had said before lowering taxes for people would be made up from else where by the American people (consumers) by forcing them to pay more else where. Trump cares about his image for the government that he helped the government profit from him being in office as he was elected to run America. He wants to provide America with more income and he figures that we have about 350 Million people that could help contribute to this. How do we get them in on this..? Lower their income taxes a bit and then make them pay more later by cranking up other taxes.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

I'll wait to see what happens before I buy into the doom and gloom...

It could work and get better trade deals or it could fail and cause an all out trade war.. Time will tell but I applaud him for trying.. Worse case, he back off it when it becomes doomed..

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Trump back off. Lol.

18. raqball macrumors 68000

Point taken but I believe China has more to lose here.. My guess is that a new deal will be done that's semi the same as it was before. Maybe instead of 47 gazillion in trade difference a new deal will knock it down to 46 gazillion. Trump can claim success, China saves face and we all move along...

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

China has been dumping on purpose, someone just told them no and they aren't liking it.

20. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

We should be focusing on improving our means of getting resources domestically. China is killing their people with all the pollution, unsafe work environments, etc.

I know people are scared that American made products will cost more but aren't they already increasing anyways?

We need to focus on alternatives to fuel a little harder, recycle and make use of the resource it can give us, there are many ideas we could have but would benefit the many and not the few (current Status quo). However...

Are the few willing to do this? Probably not. Will Trump make things worse? It is possible.

The idea behind it is understandable with companies like Apple giving keys to iCloud over to China (For what we think) is all their citizens. What if it includes some of ours? How far will we be okay with China having our information? We know that they have zero problems with allowing copyright theft.

How much can they steal before we realize what is happening?

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know, if you read the thread title too quickly it looks like it says
    Trump orders $50 billion worth of Chinese goods

I knew Trump slept in his own coffin at night, but I never thought it had arm holes so he could keep driving more nails into it.

If Comrade Trump goes through with this, it's going to hurt workers, it's going to raise prices, and it's all going to be temporary, because with the exception of his Kool-Aid drinking fans, how do you think Americans are going to feel about higher prices and lost jobs?

November just keeps looking better and better.

22. Lloydbm41 Suspended

Lloydbm41

I would caution against such forecasts. The cost of petrol is so erratic and susceptible to various factors that saying it will never go above $8 or $4 is ridiculous. Oil refineries shutting down. OPEC limiting output. Wars. Weather issues like hurricanes or earthquakes can all drive gas prices extremely high. Right now, gas is $3.15 a gallon for 87 here in California. Never say never.

23. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

China is actually cracking down big time on pollution in China. All that scrap that America and Europe used to send to Europe has come to a complete halt. No more scrap is allowed into China now. I have friends in the recycling business who sent their scraps to China but now they stopped collecting scrap because there is no where to ship it to for a profit. China will also have cities with full use of electric buses and electric taxis along with electric trains that are already in use. In the future a lot of those cities will be very clean. Just give them time and see. When a communist run country starts implementing policies they are very effective and usually quite quickly too. I also know of many manufactures that got shut down due to new pollution regulations that were passed.

https://www.ft.com/content/63cf220c-f8ee-11e7-9b32-d7d59aace167

24. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

You are correct, my prediction was not described, thus not valid.
    Here is it between $2~3 for 87. Barring significant upsets like interruptions, weather and war, for this area I do not expec it would ever go to $8. Never had gone above $6 (even adjusted for inflation).

25. stylinexpat, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018