Trump, Pence and Carrier Corp. Reach Deal to Keep Nearly 1000 Jobs in Indiana

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jdillings, Nov 29, 2016.

1. jdillings macrumors 68000

2. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

UTC has a lot of US defense contracts so Trump had plenty of leverage, he definitely grabbed them by the punani and moved in heavy.

3. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

now how much will it cost the tax payers?

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Treasonous corporations tremble with fear at the mighty power of President Trump. The first president in American history who actually does what he campaigned on.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The devil is in the details. It's great to hear that people will not lose their job, but what is Indiana giving up for those jobs?

7. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Definitely need more details on what deal exactly was hammered out, but if it is a portent of things to come, just goes to show that Trump isn't the simpleton his detractors thought he was (or at least tried to paint him as).

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Waitaminnit. Just because you can make a deal doesn't make you smart. Let's see what kind of deals he makes before declaring him a genius.

9. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

I agree. Let's wait for the details.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

if we get them trump tends to keep things like this hush hush.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

But it's a state government deal. Transparency. The people must know.

(Trump will have to get used to it.)

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so let them pollute and let the tax payers help them out keep them running?. corporate welfare in action.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This is an interesting part of that article ...
    The writer overlooks Obama's bailout of the automotive industry. That was definitely an example of "intervening in the free market." I'm surprised he didn't think of that.

Someone is bound to tell me that it is an entirely, absolutely, completely different thing that is not comparable in any way whatsoever to this deal. At all.

14. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I agree with you. All our companies should move to Mexico so they will not pollute here.

Also, no corporate welfare so all the companies will leave. Who needs companies and employers here :).

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

better hush hush then deleted.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Making America like China should be trumps slogan I guess. Who will pay for this?

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Not a state deal yet. Trump is still a private citizen.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The details really matter here. There's a tendency for government officials to hammer out these deals and celebrate the jobs, but a close review of the deal shows that essentially the government is subsidizing the company.

Having seen enough of these deals and the local and state level, my guess is he's giving them a huge tax break for a smattering of jobs. And, because it's Trump, such a deal might even fail government ethics codes—for instance, holding up Pentagon contracts to force the company to keep jobs in the U.S.

19. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

I am guessing that's essentially what it is. Blackmailing carrier to stay or lose out on lucrative government contracts, a promise to award them more contracts if they stay, or some combination of the two.

But it works, because to the people whose jobs were saved, I don't think they really care how the deal was negotiated. They are more concerned with making a living, and as far as they are concerned, Trump has lived up to his end of the bargain.

You can't buy gratitude or loyalty like this.

20. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, apparently, you can. Just simply let the federal government support Carrier and any other company that threatens to shift its plants.

If there's an ethical violation, the deal will get snatched away.

Moreover, federal officials can't just go around throwing money at companies to protect jobs. First, because every American company will exploit it. And, second, you'll end up subsidizing the entire manufacturing industry. Or, you'll be picking and choosing which companies do well through tax breaks and subsidized labor. (Something Republicans used to think was bad, but as we should realize by now, Republicans are full of it.)

Now, the optics—Carrier employees who get to keep their gigs—are fantastic for Trump. But, I think for anyone who's been paying attention, this deal is probably a goat-rope for the rest of the American people.

Are we going to subsidize Apple? Microsoft? Google? What about Ford? And, why should Exxon have to pay taxes if Ford's got a nice deal.

Basically, every multinational company is going to come begging for good deals and free employees.

In which case, we might as well just nationalize the economy and call ourselves China.

22. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Because playing by the rules got the previous government very far.

People voted for Trump because they were sick and tired of the status quo. Picture the narrative spun - a maverick who isn't afraid to skirt the rules to do what must be done.

Could it not be argued that the government would be throwing money away either way? Lose jobs to overseas, and you now have a bunch of unemployed people whom you have to disburse unemployment benefits to, notwithstanding the possible social problems that might occur as a result of this fallout. Plus these people still pay taxes and contribute to the economy so long as they are employed.

I am not saying your government should essentially go around bribing every company to stay in the US, but I don't think they should be sitting around and doing nothing while jobs are being shipped overseas either.

Trump is a businessman first, and as the saying goes, perhaps it does take one to know one?

Would that be such a bad thing though? I recognise that it might be considered un-American, but if the system is broken, then maybe there is no point in blindly following a model which no longer works.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Charlie Sheen is our next president?

24. samcraig macrumors P6

He's not the first President in history who has done things they campaigned on. And what is or was treasonous about organizations doing business overseas? Is Apple treasonous? Is Trump, himself, treasonous?

Pretty powerful word you used there...