Trump personally approves US Attorney for DC

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Jul 21, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Man, the news just keeps coming. This time, Trump has met personally with one of the nominees for US Attorney (Jessie Liu), which is another move that apparently has never been done before by a president:

President Donald Trump has nominated a slew of prospective federal prosecutors to fill top US attorney seats across the nation, but personally met with one prior to her selection in June -- a move some former Justice Department and White House sources say sharply departs from past practice and more generally is at odds with the understood custom of insulating US attorneys from political influence.
    Of the first seven US attorney nominees that Trump selected in June, only Liu said that she met with Trump. Other nominees described only meeting with Justice Department officials, such as Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, in their submissions.
    One former White House counsel who served in a Democratic administration said that the fact that Trump only met with Liu raises a question about the reason for the meeting, especially given everything else on his plate.
    "There are 93 presidentially-appointed US attorneys, and it would be virtually impossible for a President to meet with all of them prior to nomination," said the former White House counsel. "Given that, it is fair to ask why President Trump chose to meet only with the candidate for the US attorney in Washington, DC. It matters because it raises the legitimate question of why this candidate alone was singled out to meet with the President."​

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/20/politics/donald-trump-jessie-liu-dc-us-attorney/index.html

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I am sure he told her everything he HOPES she'll do in her job.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

And ask for her loyalty.

4. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

She was actually asked about this:

Liu added that she did not keep "detailed records" of her nominee selection process, but stated that "(n)o one has asked me to commit that I will be loyal to the President or the Attorney General, and I have not made such a commitment."​

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/20/politics/donald-trump-jessie-liu-dc-us-attorney/index.html

So, I guess Trump has learned a thing or two since the Comey affair...

5. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

because previous prez weren't doing #MAGA. this activity is part of #MAGA methodology.
    oh and by the way, she lost. get over it.

6. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Nah, this isn't #MAGA methodology. This is very definitely #CYA methodology.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Well trump lately has been Making Accusations Great Again :)

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This may be a silly question, but why are these postitions considered presidentially-appointed if the President doesn't meet with the candidates? I mean, I know there are lots of lower level governments posts an incoming government needs to fill, but shouldn't there be another name for ones not directly selected by the President?