Trump Picks Climate Skeptic and Oil Industry Ally to Run EPA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shinji, Dec 8, 2016.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-epa-20161207-story.html

2. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Trump's evidently planning for plenty of LOUD distractions in his 3-ring circus administration.

All eyes will be on the EPA clown car exploding in ring 1, or the retired generals sabre-rattling in ring 2 while Trump's bankster buddies are round the back stealing the family silver. Nobody'll even notice Trump clowning around incompetently in ring 3.

Crude but clever. I guess this is what running a business "Trump Style" is all about: Subterfuge and smokescreens.

3. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

So Trump did exactly what he promised?

4. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

He hasn't done anything yet.

But by picking such a controversial figure, he's ensured the EPA will devolve into a bitter, public punch-up. There will be plenty of noise, more counter-noise, and nothing will get done.

Like I said, it's a distraction for the media. A smokescreen to get them off Trump's back. I don't think he likes being watched too closely. He evidently can't function with this level of public scrutiny.

There's a good reason his businesses are private and not publicly held.

5. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Or it could just be that he has to pick a cabinet before inauguration.

6. cube macrumors G5

You can say whatever you want about a banker, but exactly how is this person an environment protector?

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Again, trump gets to put in place the people he wants.

I'll judge by the policies of his administration, not the personalities of those he puts into positions.

8. cube macrumors G5

This is not about personality, but about whether the appointee fits functionally.

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Well, duh.

I'm not questioning the need for a cabinet. I'm questioning the quality of his picks.

10. cube macrumors G5

Is it a free for all regarding these positions or do they have to be confirmed by Congress?

11. tgara, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016

tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

The top Secretarys for each agency have to go through a Senate confirmation process, and some lower level positions do too, but not all appointments are subject to Senate confirmation. The big ones we've been hearing about in the news lately do have to go through the Senate's Advise and Consent process.

Keep in mind, outgoing Minority Leader Sen. Harry Reid got rid of the filibuster for non-SCOTUS nominees, so unless the administrative, cabinet, and lower judicial picks are really offensive to Republicans, the whole confirmation process will be pretty easy for all of them.

--- Post Merged, Dec 8, 2016 ---
    Pruitt is a good choice if you believe in the rule of law and the limits of agency power and statutory interpretation. During Obama's term, he could not get his environmental program through a Democratic congress, much less one controlled by Republicans, so he ordered the EPA to reinterpret rules so that they said what he wanted them to say. Examples include the Clean Power Plan designed to put the coal industry out of business, and redefining "waterway" to include puddles and dried ponds.

Pruitt was also the guy who led the charge to stop the Clean Power Plan, and he won at the Supreme Court (4-4 decision, which upheld the Appeals Court stay). He also knows the environmental rules, regulations, and laws better than just about anyone. He knows where the limits are supposed to be, and I'm hoping he rolls back some of the foolish regulations from recent times and brings some sanity to the agency.

12. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

People here have questioned every pick. It begs the question, are they ALL bad or do people just want something to whine about. I'll go with the latter.

13. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Government do nothing? You don't say!

14. cube macrumors G5

I don't know the details of every pick, but the banking and environmentally related ones have me worried. What happens in the US affects the whole world.

15. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

The answer is that they are all good people, effective people, who will follow through on Trump's campaign promises. That's why the Left is freaking out.

16. cube macrumors G5

They rest of the world did not have a say in choosing global policies.

17. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

About time we get a Republican in who doesn't appoint people in positions to please democrats. I am tired of Republicans trying to be liked by both sides rather than get stuff done.

18. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

This is Michael Brown and FEMA all over again. How is a guy with a fundamental ideological opposition to environmental regulation going to respond to an environmental catastrophe? The same could be said for Cheeto Dictator's picks for HUD, Treasury and based on rumors, HHS, Homeland Security and the FDA as well.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The only people who get to decide that are the president and the senate who confirm (or not) the appointment. The senate is controlled by republicans. What do you think are the chances of them not rubber stamping this choice?

God, give me grace to accept with serenity
    the things that cannot be changed,
    Courage to change the things
    which should be changed,
    and the Wisdom to distinguish
    the one from the other.​

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I hope the regulations go down. I really want a Toyota Hilux!

21. cube macrumors G5

He does not have the support of the whole GOP, so for me it is not that obvious that the appointments would get rubber stamped.

Although he probably already checked that they would pass.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This appointment aligns perfectly with current conservative values.

23. cube macrumors G5

So you're saying that the GOP is individually hopeless.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

When it comes to the environment?

Absolutely.

25. cube macrumors G5

Is it really money trumps survival or being against Gore, or Democrats in general?