Trump picks Elaine Chao for cabinet post

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Nov 29, 2016.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well she does happen to be married to the Senate Majority Leader, but hey. Go along get along, maybe now Mitch will relent and let Trump pick Rudy for SoS? I have to hope that is not the deal here.

ElaineChaoWhoJustHappensToBeMarriedToMcConnell.jpg

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

If she can do the job (and she was in the cabinet before) her marriage should not be a disqualifier exactly as it should not be a qualifier.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Tell that to the millions of Trump voters that criticized Hillary over everything that Bill did.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I don't think that HRC is comparable. She agreed with Bill's positions and she was a spokesperson for him during the presidency exactly as he was a spokesperson for her. She was criticized for that, not for being the wife.

6. Scepticalscribe, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sorry, @yaxomoxay - she was also criticised for being a wife. I seem to remember the word 'enabler' tossed around. I also seem to remember reading, on these very threads, some who argued that Bill's ramblings were due to her shortcomings.......as a wife.

Back to the actual topic, in truth, I would not be massively concerned if this appointment was the only slightly questionable matter arising from his cabinet picks.

But it's not. It is part of an increasingly unsettling ambience surrounding the very construction of the scaffolding of the incoming administration.

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Token what?
    Female? There are several other women already slated for spots before she was selected.

8. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Token Asian. Its what groups of one race of people use so they can insult Asians and claim that they aren't racist because they have an Asian friend.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I hope it's a heavy post, don't want her getting crushed under the insane asylum.

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I haven't heard that term used that way in a long time. Must be getting old.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

All those things are equally true of Elaine Chao. She agrees with McConnell's positions and she has campaigned for him extensively.

12. unlinked macrumors 6502a

The US cabinet seems to have 16 positions. How many Asian Americans would you expect in it?
    Currently there are none.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Then fine, attack her on the positions and her role, not on the fact that she's a wife.

14. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Well they are married, so it would makes sense that they have similar beliefs.

15. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

So, how exactly does one go about pleasing SJWs such as yourself? Including a minority is racist, and not including a minority is racist as well. What exactly does one do to not be racist?

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I agree with your sentiment, 100%. I hope she is attacked on her positions and her role, and not the fact that she's McConnell's wife. I hope we evaluate all politicians based on their positions, experiences, beliefs, and tangible situations, and not who they are bumping uglies with at night.

I take issue with the following:

1. Saying she shouldn't be attacked for who she is married to is super hypocritical for Trump supporters to say now. Should have rung that bell 6 months ago. Not just you, many on this forum and others attacked Hillary for Bill's actions repeatedly, conflated their respective experiences, and were outright sexist in their criticism. To ask for the opposite now is hypocritical and also shows how full of s**t the original anti-Hillary arguments were.

2. Appointing a former Bush cabinet member who also happens to the wife of the most senior republican senator and majority leader of the senate is the exact opposite of "draining the swamp." Indeed, it's adding to the swamp. Just one example of many that show Trump not only can't keep his campaign promises, but that many of them were flat out lies. I'm positive there will be plenty of more proof of this in the coming months.

So far Trump is surrounding himself with Nazis and Washington elites. Yet Trump's supporters keep making excuses for him. How long can it last?

17. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Way to shoot the messenger. I think you are responding to the wrong person.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Don't you get it? Trump waking-up in the morning is racist and being born a white male is a hate crime.

19. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Indeed.

Mr. McConnell is not only the Senate Majority Leader but the senior Senator from the state of Kentucky, a state to whose voters Trump proposes to bring back coal mining jobs. Coal is generally transported by train and barge. Oil is transported by train, barge, pipeline. Aside from bringing back coal jobs, Mr. Trump's energy platform has boiled down to regulating less and drilling for more oil and gas.

Ms Chao has been nominated to lead Transportation. It oversees the following agencies:

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
    Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
    Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
    Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
    Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
    Maritime Administration (MARAD)
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    Office of Inspector General (OIG)
    Office of the Secretary of Transportation (OST)
    Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
    Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation (SLSDC)
    Office of the Assistant Secretary of Research and Technology (OST-R)
    Surface Transportation Board (STB)
    Mr. McConnell is on record as being anti-regulation in general and specifically against EPA regulations, also very much pro-oil and gas, although not opposed to nuclear tech and he favors ongoing development of electric cars.

Mr. McConnell as Senate Majority Leader has maximum power in his party to bring legislation or hold it depending on its preference. Ms. Chao has max power in her cabinet leader position to have her agencies examine regulations and propose elimination of those that in any way impede the profitable conduct of transportation-dependent business.

I don't expect Chao's nomination will fail since she does have prior Cabinet level leadership experience (Department of Labor, under the Bush administration and Deputy Secretary of Transportation, also under Bush).

But, sigh, I am disappointed. I would have hoped for someone who was a clear leader in safety since we keep having pipeline explosions and derailments of oil trains with risk to both ground, water and residents near the related accident venues. Chao has a mixed record on safety oversight in her prior Transportation Department position.

20. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

to echo what's been said already, she may be a woman and not white but she is an insider's insider. she, her family and her husband are well within the 1%. that does not match the spirit of the idea of diversity.

she is also apparently a big fan of coal. the industry at least. not the workers,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Chao#Criticism

21. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

That swamp is looking more stagnant than ever.

22. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Ah, yes, the swamp.. the very origins of coal, in fact. Way past time to honor it with a cabinet post or two LOL.

At various times in the geologic past, the Earth had dense forests in low-lying wetland areas. Due to natural processes such as flooding, these forests were buried underneath soil. As more and more soil deposited over them, they were compressed. The temperature also rose as they sank deeper and deeper. As the process continued the plant matter was protected from biodegradation and oxidation, usually by mud or acidic water. This trapped the carbon in immense peat bogs that were eventually covered and deeply buried by sediments. Under high pressure and high temperature, dead vegetation was slowly converted to coal. As coal contains mainly carbon, the conversion of dead vegetation into coal is called carbonization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal#Formation
    "...the conversion of dead vegetation into coal is called carbonization."

In Washington right now, I think they call it hitting a home run.

23. unlinked macrumors 6502a

What does diversity mean this week?

24. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

A black, transgender, radical Islamist dwarf, anything less would be uncivilized.

25. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

So we're leaving the left-behinds behind again if we're filling cabinet posts with especially diverse citizens? They'll be so pleased to hear that. If Trump wanted to please the left-behinds then he should have reached out to a union's coal or railroad shop steward from West Virginia and stuck him into a deputy cabinet post. Fat chance of that!