Trump plan: Less health insurance for lower premiums

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Feb 20, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/trump-plan-comprehensive-health-plans-lower-cost-53216781

Some clips below:

The proposed regulations would expand an alternative to the comprehensive medical plans required under former President Barack Obama's health law. Individuals could buy so-called "short-term" policies for up to 12 months. But the coverage would omit key consumer protections and offer fewer benefits, making it unattractive for people with health problems.

The plans would come with a disclaimer that they don't meet the Affordable Care Act's safeguards, such as guaranteed coverage, ten broad classes of benefits, and dollar limits on coverage. Insurers could charge more if a consumer's medical history discloses health problems.

However, short-term coverage won't count as qualifying coverage under the Obama health law for 2018. That means consumers with such plans would legally be considered uninsured, putting them at risk of fines. That wouldn't be a problem next year, when repeal of the ACA requirement that most Americans have coverage takes effect.

Tuesday's proposal follows another administration regulation that would allow groups to offer "association" health plans also exempt from ACA requirements to small businesses and sole proprietors. Having failed to repeal "Obamacare," Trump is now chipping away at it through regulations and waivers.

But remember when he said...

“We have to come up, and we can come up with many different plans. In fact, plans you don't even know about will be devised because we’re going to come up with plans—health care plans—that will be so good. And so much less expensive both for the country and for the people. And so much better.” — Interview with Dr. Mehmet Oz, September 15, 2016

2. Herdfan macrumors 6502

While I agree with the concept, not sure this is the answer.

There do need to be lower cost, less comprehensive plans, but with all of the same protections which some of these new plans would not meet.

I do think people should be able to pick the level of coverage they want, not the coverage the government wants them to have. For one, it makes no sense to me to pay the insurance company to turn around and pay my Dr. for an office visit. Lower my premium and I will pay for the Dr. visit.

3. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

My question is, even if a Lower cost plan is offered, don't low income folks already get a subsidized rate? How much more would they save?

This sounds more like a maneuver to get the Feds off the hook for supplementing policies by offering lower cost and obviously lower coverage plans people can pay for by themselves without assistance.

The caveat is less coverage for the money. Not really a fix in my opinion.

4. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Rates are subsidized, but deductibles aren't. So they have insurance they can't afford to use. So yeah, its a mess.

5. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Sounds like car insurance. We are required to carry car insurance. I pay to have auto insurance but if I use it, I won't have insurance.... So I pay out of pocket so I can continue to pay for auto insurance I cant use.

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

A dumb idea. Sounds like something an entitled jack hole would think of.