Trump policy is Republican party policy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogslobber, Feb 6, 2017.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I've been reading "Trump says this" or "Trump did that" but this is just plain wrong. What he does is the official policy of the Republican party and everything about what Trump says should be framed in the context of that being the Republican party policy.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Think I can't agree with that, so far anyway, unless you mean that since he's nominally under the GOP banner then whatever he says or does automatically accrues to their credit or blame.

Not that the GOP isn't trying to lock him in to their agenda, though, and otherwise minimize the damage from the loose cannon they nominated. In particular he's had pretty outspoken feedback from Senators McCain and Graham on some of his foreign policy riffs. McConnell comes to mind recently; he's careful about what he says but was never a fan of Trump to begin with, and Sunday let it pretty much hang out on CNN.

On Sunday, McConnell told CNN he disagreed with Trump’s view of Russian President Vladimir Putin, questioned the president’s claim of massive voter fraud in the 2016 presidential election and cautioned against the administration going too far with restrictions on travel from predominantly Muslim countries.

McConnell also chided Trump, albeit tacitly, for lambasting a federal judge who ruled against his executive order temporarily banning visitors from Iran, Iraq, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen, Libya and Syria from entering the U.S.

3. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Hmm. I agree that the Republican party "sold its soul" in allowing this particular man to represent their party. He certainly represents a stark change from the conservative values it used to adhere to.

However, I've gotta say, in throwing away their party's platform, they are in a sense simply gutting the party itself. How long will people who believe in a philosophy almost 180 degrees different from Trump stay with a party led by that man? In the short term, Trump is going to get his way, because Trump currently rules the roost. But while he's handing red meat to his core followers, he's not expanding his support base in any manner, and he's making new, fervent enemies faster than any President I've ever seen.

Trump has hijacked the Republican brand. However, he's not moving it in a direction that will keep it a majority party. With no core values, it will become just a cult of personality. And that will spell bad things for the party in the future, as the American political system really isn't built in a way that rewards autocrats...

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

What Obama did reflected on democrats so I don't see the problem

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The New Yorker just weighed in with this. Bannon has more little Bannons heading into the WH just to keep people on their toes in the internal power struggles to define who defines policy in this administration. Not sure I can take the excitement.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Saw that last night, an excellent and thought-provoking article.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The GOP has the legislative and executive branches, instead of EO's they need to be running through all the legislature that they can. They can start with the HPA.:D

8. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Which is nothing to be ashamed of at all, correct?

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

If you felt no shame while Obama bombed DRs w/o borders and most of the M-E while also signing indefinite detention w/o trial then that's on you :D

10. MaulRx Suspended

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Bingo... that's McConnell's and Ryan's biggest problem with him. They won Trump as a doorprize but don't know what it is or how it works. And so far when they press the buttons, it's weird stuff and everything but a wardrobe malfunction that happens. Only thing that "runs good" is the pen hand and at that he needs more minders making sure stuff he signs should ever have made it to his desk.

12. MaulRx Suspended

And that's what is truly scary about Trump. Stroke his ego enough and he'll do anything i.e.)Bannon on the NSC

13. Populism Suspended

Populism

Correct.

When Obama won the Nobel Prize For Drone Kills, it was a shared achievement with all Democrats.

Right?

I'm p ainting the exterior of my house. Lemme know if I can borrow that broad brush of yours.

14. Zenithal macrumors 603

Tea party influenced Republican Policy. The current policy of the party is a half-assed, odd-ball approach to everything in its path.