Trump "postpones" Israel trip after Netanyahu criticism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Dec 10, 2015.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/10/politics/donald-trump-postpones-israel-trip/index.html

I wonder if Trump thought he was immunizing himself against criticism when he previously endorsed Netanyahu?

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

he recently had a difficult session with jewish republicans so maybe he was hoping to rectify things with them by going to Israel......but having Netanyahu "reject Donald Trump's recent remarks about Muslim" is a bit awkward, so no wonder he canceled

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Funny considering his stance on settlements...and Trump is the bad guy?

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

If nothing else this goes to illustrate the utter clumsiness of extremist Republicans these days. To say nothing of their lack of understanding of a complex world.

Trump, and his supporters, tend to see everything in a binary, black or white world. You are either for us or against us. A good guy or a villain. An American or a foreigner. A loyal American or a terrorist.

But the real world doesn't work like that. Especially Israel; and especially an Israel governed by a coalition, that while not technically shaky, still relies on a diverse group of interests to maintain power. Certainly Netanyahu, the consumate politician, understands this in a way that Trump - the compulsive braggart - does not.

An Israel that proclaimed itself a state to which its Muslim (and other non-Jewish) inhabitants were declared persona non grata would become untenable. It would give lie to sixty years of careful - albeit not always successful - attempts to form a modus vivendi with its Muslim Arab neighbors. Trump would sacrifice that work to bump his Iowa poll numbers a few more points. Don't blame Netanyahu for wisely walking away from that deal.

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that nothing would be better for the United States - and the world at large - than a Donald Trump nomination by the GOP. Because I am thoroughly convinced that the Republicans would receive such an electoral thrashing, losing House and Senate seats in Texas and Alabama - that they would for a generation reject the racist extremism that lies at the core of a solid ~25% of their base. A moderate, sensible, reasonable GOP that reached out across racial and ethnic lines; that rejected extremism in all its forms - would be a welcome relief after the madness and nihilism of the Tea Party years.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I want Trump to get the nomination too. For different reasons though. He'll be outed as the sleeper lefty DNC shill he actually is, and has been his entire life...

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Forget the nomination. I can't wait until he loses his first primary. Will be epic.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I would like to have been a fly on wall if Bibi finally and personally decided to disinvite The Donald.

How about "I don't care how you say it, just say you can't make the trip right now. Because, um, you can't."

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Only to the extent that Trump will double down and then the real hilarity will begin.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe we'll find out whether concerns about hacked electronic/optical vote counting are justified. The cable news outfits could really go for covering an updated version of "the hanging chad problem" if any vote counts are delayed.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

I take it that the Left is hardly polarizing?

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The left doesn't have a political party in America.

Otherwise I do agree. Far left people are very polarising.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

sure we do......it's just that "nobody" votes for them

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It's a rare day when I can praise Netanyahu.
    if he is, then the conservative base sure fell hook, line, and sinker.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    How dare he trick us all into saying and supporting what we've been thinking! It's rude!

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They wouldn't reject the extremism, they would just use the fat that Trump was registered as a Democrat in the past to either say that he wasn't conservative enough and double down on the extremism, or claim that he was a democratic plant that intentionally failed and stay exactly the same.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Most republicans won't, only the extremists will. Most republicans were sensible after 2012 too.

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This is a common trait among right/left wing populists, the world has become globally intertwined, and statements can and do have far reaching world wide consequences. This is of course why professional politicians talk a lot but say very little, it's a dark art of 24 hour news politics.

18. FieldingMellish Suspended

Ultimately, all the world's BS when you can take a look of the bad players who've been allowed to be in the United Nations with a straight face, taking the organization beyond uselessness and into a den of thieves.

19. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I think the next time Donald Trump leaves the US, the department for immigration should refuse him re-entry on the grounds that there is an ever so slight chance that he was radicalised whilst abroad.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Donald Trump: The Hyman Roth American politics.

22. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

"We're bigger than U.S. Steel!"

23. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

No way would AL lose their senate seats. You know nothing, Jon Snow!

24. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

There hasn't been a Republican President who was Conservative enough since Ronad.

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I voted for Ronald Reagan twice.

Reagan may have been a conservative for his times. But he was also a pragmatist who believed in fairness; he also raised taxes numerous times; granted amnesty to some illegal aliens; made arms control deals with the Soviet Union; signed California's liberal abortion law; the Brady gun law; and a law covering collective bargaining for state employees. Ronald Reagan got much of what he accomplished while in the White House because he had Tip O'Neill as Speaker.

Todays Republicans live in a world where they mythologize Ronald Reagan. The real Reagan certainly wasn't perfect. But compared to the jokers in today's GOP? He was a Republican I could believe in.