Trump Praises Australia's Health Care System

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, May 4, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I agree with the second option. Trumps mouth and mind have never been connected.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

This is going to be the story for the GOP as long as Trump is their guy in the White House. He plays for himself, says whatever he feels like saying, makes policy up as he goes. I doubt he really gets it that Republicans regard single payer and universal healthcare both as the antithesis of how to do health care.

As I've said elsewhere, the Republicans seem to think health care coverage should just be like other stuff you can buy, if you have the money. Like a Lexus, or a ski chalet someplace. Healthcare as just another product available in the marketplace... you pick what you want and make responsible choices and only buy what you can afford.

So, if you're a broke college student, for instance, you should try to steer clear of picking stuff like expensive surgery to remove your rupturing appendix. Naturally the hospital cannot refuse to remove your appendix if you're about to croak from peritonitis, at least so far. But that's the hospital's problem, isn't it. Can't expect the GOP to fix every little thing, the market is supposed to sort this stuff out eventually, right? Evolve or die. Either the hospitals or the patients must comply with that oldest of rules. I'm assuming the patients will now start dying, since a lot of hospitals have already bitten that bullet.

Man you should see the replies tacked onto GOP Congressman John Faso's tweet that he reviewed the bill and decided his concerns had been met and he'd decided to vote for it. I'd say the notoriously flippable 19th CD in upstate NY just went up for grabs once again for 2018. Probably some other GOP congress critters in similar situations as of this afternoon. Going to be an expensive midterm for the GOP, they had probably hoped to spend most of their dough on those 18 Senate seats the Dems will be defending. Now it's looking like some House races will cost a bundle each as well.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Colbert can take the night off, just play Trumps transcripts.

5. Zenithal macrumors 601

The way I see it is he praises others outside of his circle just to look intelligent or worthy as a leader. If you really think about it, it's what he's been doing since day one.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well, it's not the first time that Trump has praised single pay healthcare. Like most subjects, Donald doesn't know what he wants or which side of an issue he stands on.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I beg to differ. I think his mouth says a lot about what is going on inside his mind! ......or lack there of, really.

8. zin Suspended

9. samcraig macrumors P6

peculiar more than a gaffe given his excitement over recent news.

Take something similar to another issue. What if he praised Australia for their gun control laws. It's true - but it doesn't do him any favors. It also raises questions about sincerity either to Australia or to the American people.

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Does Australia give care to every non citizen that lands on its shores? I found support the Australian system here if not one red cent is spent on non citizens.

11. zin Suspended

That's a bad comparison. Australia's gun control laws would be unconstitutional in the United States.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

that's not the point.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL it's more than a gaffe if you're a conservative Republican listening to your nominal leader praise single-payer healthcare. It's cause for wondering if, on the Senate side, ol' Don and ol' Chuck will, heh, "work something out" and leave Mitch McConnell wondering what sort of truck just steamrolled him. On the other hand, McConnell being well past pragmatic into the cynical zone, what comes out of the Senate could look pretty much like RomneyCare anyway.

That's the stuff of nightmares or pipe dreams, of course, depending on one's political leanings. And whatever happens in the Senate eventually has to be reconciled with the House offering or they go back to square one yet again.

But in the meantime whenever Trump riffs on stuff and ends up sounding like he took a page from Sanders for a moment (and Bernie did not fail to notice this yesterday!), The Don gives the GOP a major case of hearburn.

14. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Some years back, in a TV interview, Trump said he would prefer that we have universal health care in the US.

Who knows if he remembers what he said, but this comment makes me think that he does.

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Thank God heartburn is still covered under the 'repealed' Obamacare.:rolleyes:

16. zin Suspended

You should know by now that Donald Trump is anything but a Republican.

17. elistan macrumors 6502a

Dunno about Australia, but in Canada they'll certainly give care to non citizens, but instead of it being paid for through their system, they either ask for payment up front or they send a bill later.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

He's a Demican.
    Or maybe a Republicrat.

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

No more free care for anyone. It's unsustainable.

20. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Purely anecdotal but my sister has Crohn's disease and she got sick while in Australia on business.
    She had nothing but good things to say about the experience.
    If there was a fee it must have been minimal otherwise she wouldn't have been able to pay it.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So is Trump the Teflon Don, he can say any outlandish thing (he's against UHC) without repercussion? Is this a reflection that he is so out of touch with his so called base, that they just ignore the latest Trumpfoolery?

...and notice not a peep from the GOP righteous warriors who insist on truth, justice, and the hypocritical American way. Just imagine what these people would be saying if a Democrat President praised Universal Health Care. They'd be screaming at the Moon and rallying their base to resist the evil doers! :eek::rolleyes:

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Pretty sure he's an idiot. Not sure he really belongs in/with any party. Unless it's the Trump party.

23. Chew Toy McCoy, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017

Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I think Trump would gain a lot of respect from a lot of Americans regardless of party affiliation if he endorsed single payer. Doesn’t mean it would pass, but it would show that he’s not a health insurance industry or Republican tool.

24. BeeGood, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

The man is his own party. He stands for nothing. Or everything. It simply depends on whatever suits him in the moment.

EDIT: @samcraig beat me to it.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

...and what benefits him.