Trump Praises Saddam Hussein "he killed terrorists"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Feb 15, 2016.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

First he praises Kim Jong Un and now Saddam Hessein, just waiting for him to tell us how Hitler made Germany great again.

2. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Sad that this is one of the smartest things he's said in this campaign.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

To be fair, the middle east was somewhat stable with Saddam in power. Does that mean he deserved a Nobel Peace Prize, no. But ISIS didn't exist.

4. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, or so they say. It seems that the power vacuum left by his removal and our inability to maintain troops there indefinitely led to their rise, at least IMO. Lessons we never learn include not invading in the first place won't lead to the need for indefinite occupation and countless casualties.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Am I sad that we took out Saddam, no. We just underestimated how brainwashed his people were and how they could not live without his brutal dictatorship. The same thing would happen in North Korea.

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I thinks its a bigger issue than that. Saddam had a large well trained military, including the Republican guard. When the US disbanded the Republican guard instead of trying to integrate them and sent these guys home that was the seed for what you see today. The Republican guard is a large part of what ISIS is today.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

apples/oranges.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2016 ---
    par for the course in the M-E. how well did the "liberation" of Libya work out?

8. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

This article is ridiculous.

Islamism got dangerous longtime before:
    it was Brzynski who since the 80s pushed Reagan to train some poor afghan farmers who had nothing than old guns from the beginning of the 19th century for chasing animals (and the british colonists) to use modern arms and how to be more efficient as partisans. The CIA delivered the most modern weapons: STINGER. They delivered the most modern Tank-cracking arms. They delivered satellite-based informations about the Russians.

The USA always had the childish geostrategy "My enemy´s worst enemy is my best friend".
    So, the Taliban were created with the help of the USA, even Al Quaida. CONGRATULATIONS!

The USA supported Sadam Hussein. When Sadam Hussein slaughtered inhabitants in kurdish villages with NERVE GAS , it was the USA who gave their VETO in the security council to prevent a UN-resolution against Sadam for one year.

same when Sadam attacked Iran and killed about 1 Million Iranians , about 300.000 of them also with nerve gas. The USA continued to support Sadam, even with weapons and prevented him from losing the war with important satellite-based Informations.

This "I don´t mind about dictators as long as they are OUR dictators" NEVER worked. It seems that US presidents NEVER learn. With this strategy they put in the meanwhile whole Northern Africa and the whole near East on fire. Libya once was a modern country. Now e ISIS has the power. The UN talks openly about a "human catastrophe" in Libya - not under Ghadaffi, but AFTER Ghadaffi. Ghadaffi was a dictator - but this dictator was less dangerous than those of Saudi Arabia and Qatar and UAE and Kuweit which are the worst dictators in the Arab world. The last have as much of the latest versions of Eurofighters, Leopard II, firearms and Rockets as the WHOLE european part of the NATO!

Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and Kuweit supported the Islamic terrorists with propaganda, billions of USD, weapons and shelter. Syria was a non-democratic country. But not with dictator on the playlist of the USA - so he had to be eliminated - just like the late Sadam and Ghadaffi.
    While there is since about 4 Years a REAL AND PEACEFUL arab democratic movement in Bahrain, the USA help the Bahrain´dictators to throw down the movement, and with the army of Saudi Arabia demonstrating peaceful Arabs were killed, tortured, even children tortured to death.

Without Reagan´s Brzynski-doctrin there was never a significant islamic terrorism.
    The USA are about to work hard for a third world war.

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

People who can't think it through will be offended, or people who can't see other points of view.

There were groups that Saddam had hunted down, which were legitimate terrorists.

But none of that changes the fact that Saddam wasn't exactly a nice person to begin with - I would have appreciated Bush 43 better if he admitted up front that it was a blood feud (Saddam sending a death threat on Bush Sr seems pretty conclusive as an antagonistic act), rather than lying about nonexistent WMDs and giving no-bid contracts to Dick Cheney's KBR despite knowing deposing Saddam would lead to an expensive quagmire and Dick said it himself:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dick+cheney+1994+quagmire

10. MrAverigeUser, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

As for Trump:
    In the last some days I was astonished that he had the balls to say the TRUTH: That Bush was a liar.
    BTW: The US-attacks were the reason for about 300.000 civilian casualties only during this crime of war named "War on terrorism" in Iraq. And thousands of acts of war crimes. (look about Falludjah and other eradicated cities).

US foreign policy is nothing but neocolonialism at its worst.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Here are some more "Liars":

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The question is how many of those people actually saw the evidence (or rather lack thereof) verses how many just bought into the lie? The latter is certainly still bad, as it suggests a certain incompetence, but the former is much worse. Quite frankly I think those who actually knew for a fact that there was no real proof of WMDs should be charged with war crimes and executed.

13. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

we can classify also the overshooting part of the embargo on Iraq as a war crime. During the decade of the embargo the UN estimated this was responsible for about 500.000 deaths of children, because the Iraqi citizens were transferred to hostages of the western world.
    The childish strategy of the embargo was less to prevent weapons of mass destruction, it was HUNGER and NO MEDICAL AID and NO EDUCATION for the citizens to provoke riots against Sadam.

One of the criminals of war, a certain Madeleine Albright once was asked in a "60 minutes" interview if the death of about 500.000 children was worth it. Her answer: "YES, it was!"

BTW: Hillary Clinton voted FOR the Bush war crime on Iraq.
    Bernie sanders did not.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Every person on that list is either a colossal idiot (i.e. Al Gore), a corrupt profiteer (i.e. Nancy Lugosi), or a congenital liar (i.e. Bubba and Hillary.) I would treat their bleating accordingly.

Fact is, our best defense against radical ME jihadism was Saddam, Khadaffi, and Assad. We foolishly deposed two of them and it is Obama's (and Hillary's) stated foreign policy that the United States must conduct regime change to overthrow the third.

15. MrAverigeUser, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

The Gouverments of France (Conservative Jacques Chirac), Germany (Social Democrat Gerhard Schröder) and Russia (Putin) CLEARLY stated that their secret services say there are definitely no more weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. AND that Iraq has NOTHING to do with 9/11 (this was the first lie)
    German Secretary of state Joschka Fischer said in public at the Munich security meeting before the war that he doubts about the US-stories about WMD.

I listened live the Infamous Power point presentation by Powell at the UN assembly. If you have seen his eyes and the communication of his body, its was clear, he knew this was nothing but lies. If you listened to his ridiculous speech, you could only say: "They are taking the word for fools"...

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Keep in mind that at one time Hussein did have WMDs, and the means to produce more. The UN had conducted a number of inspections, which Hussein nominally complied with. This eventually lead to a greatly reduced stockpile, and a lowered means to produce more on Iraq's part by the time Bush decided to forego more inspections for a direct invasion.

...then guess what happened?

17. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

The responsible UN-inspectors stated several times in public (before the war) that there were NO MORE any capacities to produce WMDs nor resting Weapons itself.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Neocon logic: The fact that the UN inspectors could not find the WMD was proof that Saddam had them cleverly hidden, and the only reason he would go to the trouble of hiding them so well is if he was hiding nukes. So invade before the smoking gun becomes a mushroom cloud!

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Or that.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2016 ---
    Hey, everything's justifiable when your default stance assumes democracy hangs by but a single thread, and its very existence is threatened at all times from enemies both within and without.

When your viewpoint's that extreme, even the most dire measures are easy to excuse.

20. Technarchy, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Trump's statement sounds pretty accurate. Obama doubled down by going after Assad, Mubarak and Gaddafi. Both were completely wrong. This idea of regime change is laughable and doesn't work and should not be part of our foreign policy going forward.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Trump is usually an idiot, but it sounds like he got it right here.

22. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

Agree.

Forced "Regime change" from OUTSIDE NEVER works. A real and stable regime change can ALWAYS only come from the INSIDE. The citizens themselves have to change the regime. The political and social consciousness and the will of the people themselves has to be mature to start this. THEY have to start discussions and have to organize themselves for a change. Look at Eastern Europe: The transformation from a totalitarian system to democratic countries was a process that took 2-3 generations: They abandoned the bloody Stalin´s type dictatorship after his death, and at the end themselves abandoned communism with Gorbatshov. And the transformation happened without any bullet or bomb!
    The reason why this was possible was NOT that they lost the cold war - it was the peaceful and patient political strategy of German´s chancellor Willi Brandt and his right hand Egon Bahr, followed by chancellor Helmut Schmidt. They started with the policy of APPROACHING the PEOPLE western and Eastern Germany, they stopped the escalation of cold war and started project for generating confidence between enemies. They experienced the World war themselves, as did (BTW) also the politicians on the other side. Neither person of both sides wanted a world war again. And they knew this will take decades. Even following chancellor Helmut Kohl, a conservative fighting against the policy of Brandt and Schmidt before, changed his mind and followed Brandt´s Genius - so the Russians knew that they could give eastern Germany freedom without having fear that the west will tack them.
    It was not the result of Cowboy Ronald Reagan´s or Bush senior´s policy - it was the intelligent strategy of Brandt and his successors which led to a dramatic change in Europe.
    A revolutionary project like the one of Gorbatschov towards more liberty in Eastern Europe and to approach western Europe would never ever had happened without this extremely patient policy of germany.

"Regime change", Bombs and political blackmailing (the classic US-foreign policy) never works. This worked not even against the poorest countries of the world like Afghanistan.

US government talks always about "democracy" but they are meaning "kill our last dictator who´s getting out of our control and replace him by the next one" or "Replace a dictator who wash´t under our control by one who is".

Sadly, if you look at Mid- and south america, mostly the USA helps dictators to kill democratic opposition and to stay dictator and even stops democratic revolutions (look at Allende in Chile). 1953 the CIA stopped the first democracy in the near east - IRAN! - which was just established. Instead they installed the bloody dictator Shah Reza Pahlewi for decades…

I could go on with dozens of further examples...

23. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Donald Trump appeals to the segment of this nation that, knowingly or otherwise, wants authoritarian style rule. They look for strongman tactics in a world that is changing and therefore scary to them. It's ironic that those that are looking for a "tough guy" are doing so only because they are so fearful of the world.