Trump privately talks up executing all big drug dealers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Amazing how Trump always gravitates to the most extreme position.

https://www.axios.com/exclusive-tru...utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic
    • But the president doesn't just joke about it. According to five sources who've spoken with Trump about the subject, he often leaps into a passionate speech about how drug dealers are as bad as serial killers and should all get the death penalty.
    • Trump tells confidants a softer approach to drug reform — the kind where you show sympathy to the offenders and give them more lenient sentences — will never work.
    • He tells friends and associates the government has got to teach children that they'll die if they take drugs and they've got to make drug dealers fear for their lives.
    • Trump has said he would love to have a law to execute all drug dealers here in America, though he's privately admitted it would probably be impossible to get a law this harsh passed under the American system.
    • Kellyanne Conway, who leads the White House's anti-drug efforts, argues Trump's position is more nuanced, saying the president is talking about high-volume dealers who are killing thousands of people. The point he's making, she says, is that some states execute criminals for killing one person but a dealer who brings a tiny quantity of fentanyl into a community can cause mass death in just one weekend, often with impunity.

2. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Nothing he says amazes me anymore. No matter how incredibly stupid it is.

3. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

4. 0007776 Suspended

He is an idiot, I’m generally against the death penalty, but I could make an exception for Treason if Trump turns out to have worked with Russia, not for drug crimes though.

5. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

First the bad boys, then the regular people. That's how it starts.

6. Tech198 macrumors G5

haha.... we can see where he makes "exceptions." More serious issues, deserve more "punishment"

7. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

So are you guys are FOR drug cartel leaders selling poison to our kids without significant punishment? I'm confused. The big drug cartels kill people in the thousands and poison our communities/schools with deadly illegal contraband and you guys are upset Trump want's to seek the death penalty for it?

8. 0007776 Suspended

The death penalty is immoral, and has no deterrent effect. To have even a chance of it having a deterrent effect you would have to speed up the process so much that you would end up with many innocent people being murdered by the state. Letting them rot in prison for the rest of their lives is plenty of punishment.

9. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

If a person is convicted to serve a life sentence, or consecutive life sentences, without the possibility of parole, meaning there is zero chance of rehabilitation and release, then why is the death penalty immoral, or inhumane? Especially if that individual is confined to solitary confinement, which leads to mental instability and depression. It's been stated the average death row inmate exhausts about 16 years of the appeals process before being executed. So, that means lifers will be well fed and taken care of medically for several more years if they don't get death. I find it immoral to lock up a human being for the rest of their life, like an animal in a small cage, going mentally insane, the psychological trauma is far more devastating then using lethal injection short term.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

A couple of points here, first off Trump isn't talking about cartel, from the info posted, he's talking about local dealers, again that's not cartel. Second, the death penalty has never been a viable deterrent, ever. Third, we already have a legal system in place to deal with these issues and to be fair and honest, that system is stretched thin as it is. On top of that, death penalty is a lot harder to get as it should be, so what exactly is Trump suggesting, making that easier to get? We have enough issues with executing the wrong people as it is, opening up death penalty cases even more is going to create a whole new slew of issues to deal with, again for an already stretched out system.

I get Trump has a personal interest in this area due to his brother's addiction that killed him but the idea of killing small time dealers, which again, this is really what he's talking about, is just a bad idea in general. Trump doesn't have the best history with thinking straight when it comes to criminals and crimes. Just look at the Central Park Five case, even after they were acquitted Trump still tried to make it an issue that they were guilty.

11. 0007776 Suspended

Because killing people is morally wrong if it isn’t then why do we punish murderers? Also if you lock someone up for life if new evidence shows you got it wrong you can always release them, you can’t bring someone back from the dead. Also prosecutors do not want to be proven wrong after they have killed someone so having the death penalty means that if the state gets it wrong so they are less likely to push cases if someone else is able to be shown to be actually guilty which would result in criminals staying on the street.

I also always find it interesting how the Right doesn’t trust the government to do anything right, but they are fine with allowing the government to chose to kill its own citizens.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

it's not about deterring. it's about just eliminating waste. there's no reform, no reason to keep them alive period. we don't need any more pets. death penalty is about moving past those that aren't worth breathing our air. we put dogs and other animals down all the time. these people are dogs just the same.

13. 0007776 Suspended

Why do you trust the government to decide which people are fit to live and which aren’t? I thought you were against big government?

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

The court system isn't perfect but it's way more accurate and just than not. The death penalty is a good thing. I'm not going to sacrifice good in the pursuit of perfection. Perfection isn't going to happen so in the mean time I'll good with ridding the earth of the really bad guys.

15. 0007776 Suspended

And a few good guys along the way since as you said perfection isn’t going to happen.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Yep. Nothing new and it's not a heavy price. We are way better off without the really bad people in this world.

17. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

No, it is not. The death penalty is more of a blessing than a life in confined solitude. Why would you rather imprison someone for the rest of their life than end their suffering and the suffering of that persons victims? You think that putting someone who committed horrendous crimes in permanent time-out is more humane than ending their life. The amount of suffering from being isolate in a small cell for the remainder of their days is FAR more devastating than putting them down.

18. 0007776 Suspended

Would you still feel the same if you or one of your relatives happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and ended up as an innocent person on death row?

19. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

Its a matter of how you ethically view things. I don't think it is EVER humane to kill someone.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2018 ---
    So what its worth executing a few innocent people?

20. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

You really think it's better to incarcerate someone for the rest of their life in isolation, like a caged animal is better than death? A life sentence is more inhumane and devastating than the death penalty IMO.

21. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

I do think it is better to put someone in jail for life. Ending someone's life is far more inhumane.

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

YMMV. To me, it's a no-brainer. Kill the really bad guys and move one. There's casualties of life in everything from sky diving to swimming to just going to work and crossing the street. Again, the bad guys aren't worth the air they breath.

23. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

No, it's not. Because that person will endure a lifetime of suffering. Ending their life will alleviate that suffering.

24. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I think the studies show what 4% of executions might be innocent? I can pretty much say no one in my life would even be within reach of being in the wrong place at the wrong time to be put on death row. It's not like divorce where just about everyone knows someone who is divorced. Do you know someone who has been sentenced to death? If so, stats show 96% of the time they are guilty. I'm good with that.

YMMV but me, if I'm every that freaking unlucky in life, just kill me and get it over with because if karma is after me that bad, I'm likely then also likely in my destiny to be toothless and dating Bubba.

25. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

I don't agree with killing people at all, and I think if we're not talking solitary confinement, people can have a basic life in prison.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2018 ---
    4 Percent is still way too many people getting killed.