Trump promises he'll force Apple to manufacture in US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Trump's latest speech to Liberty University on January 18:

http://www.cnet.com/news/trump-says-hell-force-apple-to-manufacture-in-the-us/#ftag=YHF65cbda0

Excerpt:

Trump made a solemn promise: "We're going to get Apple to build their damn computers and things in this country instead of in other countries."

Currently, Apple only manufactures its Mac Pro in the US (specifically in Austin, Texas). On its jobs creation Web site, Apple insists it's responsible for creating and supporting 1.9 million US jobs, as of the end of 2015. It also claims that "thirty-one of the 50 states provide parts, materials, or equipment to make Apple products."

Hmmm….. o_O

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It's very easy to do. Don't tax them on income earned abroad, which has already been taxed abroad. Trump knows this. Apple will be more than happy to invest earnings at home without these confiscatory tax policies. No one will have to force them to do anything.

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Populist nonsense like this is really all you need to make it through the primaries these days.

4. sim667 macrumors 65816

How is it going to do it? Ban apple products if they don't comply?

The man needs psychological help I think.

5. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

I'm Canadian but doesn't Mr. Trump outsource a lot of his work to foreign Countries?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And the rubes love eating Trump's ****. The man puts his name on dozens of products and all but his campaign hats are made in China, and only because he got shamed on Fallon.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

I don't think Trump can be shamed any more than Hillary can be shamed.

8. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68030

Solomani

Yes he does. A brand new $300 million golf course in Scotland is planned. The Trump Turnberry golf resort.

9. 8692574 Suspended

The problem it's not what he says, but the people that belive it (and probably vote him)!

You know I can say that I'll give a million dollar to each American, , it doesn't make it true, but if there are people stupid enought to belive me, all I have to do once elected is find a nice excuse!

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

His clothing line is made in China and Mexico :rolleyes:

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Do people actually support Donald Trump or is just some joke that isn't translating well for us non-Americans?

12. Rab Simpson macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

That won't be happening.

13. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

The country is well divided.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's genuinely scary.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

I believe he's ahead in the polls.

But he's busily promising everyone stuff that he can't deliver....

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

17. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

What a great idea Mr Trump. One of the major downsides however to your plan will be manufacture cost and retail cost. Building all Apple products in the US is good in terms of jobs for local people but not such a good idea when it comes to the price that the end consumer has to pay. I can see it now. Apple announcing they pricing for the next iphone and it ends up costing $200 more than the 6S and 6S Plus.

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

Of course he is :rolleyes:

19. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I'll take the liberal side on this one. Does Apple really need to make billions upon billions in profits? Or can they be a trend setter and create American jobs and pride and smaller profits? With tax benefits to help offset the loss in profits (not all), it's plausible.

20. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Somebody needs to take Trump aside and explain to him how law works, how government works, and just what the POTUS is and is not allowed to do.

The president has no power over where a business does its...business, unless they are trying to work with a country the US has sanctioned.

What would Trump do if Obama suddenly told Trump that he had to stop all his dealings with other countries? The man is sick and stupid.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think you need to check your IQ. What's he 100% right about? He, as usual, made an off-the-cuff, foolhardy statement with nothing to back it up.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

He has to win an election against all odds.

If he has to convince people he's going to banish the boogeyman to mars, then so be it.

Also: @thewitt has brought up some good input on how Trump could compell apple to move production to the US.

I don't think they would be opposed to it. Tim Cook is a great CEO and the new MacPro line is already produced in the US.

23. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Beause he has time to control of who made the hat his campaign secretary ordered to have embroidered. Is this the best ya got?

24. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Well, he certainly has time to threaten Apple over the exact same thing.